Sign in to follow this  
Heboric

How To Keep Players.......not.

This evening I went out hunting and discovered we'd been partially hit by a terraform event - chasms. First I guess I was a bit excited - glimmer/adamantine rocks?

But then I began to find the actual damage done. To us not so very much - our biggest farm cleaved in half......access to a few buildings restricted....access south totally screwed until I can build a bridge.

But then someone told me my neighbors had quit so I went over to see what had happened there.

They had one of the nicest deeds I've seen in game - God only knows how many 100s of hours work went into it.

Now as far as I can tell it's either destroyed, or inaccessible -

19d29c1f-a709-4feb-95d7-c96a1484e1fd.jpg

Front.....

fdc73474-f53b-4f89-ac7d-2e0f5bba2469.jpg

Back.....

Now i know some will simply say - "It's just a game...###### happens"

But what's the point in investing so much time into something if it can simply be wiped like this?

Small wonder Wurm has never managed a huge player base.

Personally I think it's extremely stupid...and very sad.

AFAIK the people who built this have already quit in disgust.

Edited by Heboric
  • Like 13

View hidden Post
Posted (edited) · Hidden by sunsvortex, November 23, 2013 - double post
Hidden by sunsvortex, November 23, 2013 - double post

double post

Edited by Heboric

Well 2 sides here?

Freedom, or Epic?

My guess is Epic.

If you want to have a nice building environment without stuff happening then you shouldn't have been on Epic in the first place. This is the risk that was taken and it happend to those guys, unlucky for them. I knew this would happen to someone sooner or later

Edited by whykillme
  • Like 3

I don't see that Epic should have anything to do with it - this wasn't caused by a PvP griefing event.

Do these events not happen on Freedom?

If they don't.... how come Freedom gets scenarios etc which as far as I understand help to trigger this stuff?

But it's actually beside the point. The game is continually screaming for new players to keep it going.....especially in the PvP areas.

If you could drop into the game and start slaughtering people 30 minutes later it wouldn't matter. When you need to invest as much as you do in Wurm to actually join in it's a very different story imo.

Especially when it's as easily lost as this...by a piece of random BS that has absolutely nothing to do with skill, game play or anything else.

Edited by Heboric

it happened the 2. time to the same place within 2 weeks. 

Can the giant cataclysmic chasm be filled up with dirt?

I don't think the missions being done on Freedom has any effect whatsoever on events on Epic.

I do agree valrei events should not touch deeds, but in this case it looks like you can atleast partially repair it.

Can the giant cataclysmic chasm be filled up with dirt?

I guess I'll find that out tomorrow when I try and build a few access bridges in our much less damaged area.

I'm not sure about Freedom tbh - but if the point of the scenarios is partly to produce such events, I'm not sure why Freedom would have the one without the other.

But again. It seems to me daft to keep telling anyone who says anything about various things - "you should be on Freedom".

It actually seems to me many consider a better choice to be - "screw it I'll go play something else"

...as I'm told my neighbors  have now done :(

Edited by Heboric

I thought when people first started playing on Epic it was generally acknowledged that stuff like this was MEANT to happen. Hell when it was first released we were told there was gunna be server wipes every like 6months or so. This is one of the reasons why I never bothered with epic, besides the idea of training up another character holds about as much interest for me as scooping my own eyes out with a spoon.

• Like 21

This is one of those "fu u" things that Wurm throw for no good reason.

PS: incoming freedom players saying that epic players should deal with it or go to freedom(or something on those lines).

Edited by Alec
  • Like 5

I thought when people first started playing on Epic it was generally acknowledged that stuff like this was MEANT to happen. Hell when it was first released we were told there was gunna be server wipes every like 6months or so. This is one of the reasons why I never bothered with epic, besides the idea of training up another character holds about as much interest for me as scooping my own eyes out with a spoon.

When you create a deed on Epic, it also warns you that these things can happen to your deed (at the first window when you plant a deed), so there is certainly no excuse for not knowing this could happen. But whether it is good that it happens or not is arguable of course

• Like 7

When you create a deed on Epic, it also warns you that these things can happen to your deed (at the first window when you plant a deed), so there is certainly no excuse for not knowing this could happen. 

Exactly, Epic is mean to be a scenario server. This is exactly what people are getting into when they chose to play there surely? 

• Like 2

That's pretty cool. It's part of epic, the lands can be affected by the gods. Deal with it or go back to freedom.

Contrary to your claim it is caused by pvp events, namely the missions. If you don't like it, stop the enemies from finishing them.

Edited by 50Cent123
  • Like 2

<snip>This is one of the reasons why I never bothered with epic,<snip>

I wasn't playing when Epic started so I have no idea.

If that's true though...it was always intended to be able to let people pay for stuff only to destroy it randomly out of hand....well then I guess it probably IS time to start considering options.

That to my mind isn't really a game......unless Russian Roulette is also one.

When you create a deed on Epic, it also warns you that these things can happen to your deed (at the first window when you plant a deed), so there is certainly no excuse for not knowing this could happen. But whether it is good that it happens or not is arguable of course

It actually started warning you AFTER my deed got hit. :P

• Like 1

That's why this mechanic should be changed.

I wasn't playing when Epic started so I have no idea.

If that's true though...it was always intended to be able to let people pay for stuff only to destroy it randomly out of hand....well then I guess it probably IS time to start considering options.

Hmm perhaps Rolf needs to make to clearer that stuff like this can and will happen randomly as part of the scenarios since you and some other people who have apparently played on Epic were unaware that this is part of the intended function of the servers. Atleast part of the original vision for the function of the servers. 

its not the fact his deed got hit per say, its the difficulty to repair it.

you aren't going to fill in a chasm that deep, not with 99 digging.

if it was like 100 slope i could understand, but every event i have seen has been so drastic that it takes months to repair if on the offchance it is actually repairable.

even so, i dont think it should touch deeds, a lot of players have quit over this.

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 1

Hmm perhaps Rolf needs to make to clearer that stuff like this can and will happen randomly as part of the scenarios since you and some other people who have apparently played on Epic were unaware that this is part of the intended function of the servers. Atleast part of the original vision for the function of the servers. 

Maybe - but tbh if I'd have been completely aware of it to start with I would almost certainly have had your attitude and not started playing here at all. Even if I had it wouldn't have been the 4 characters and fairly large deed that I've been paying for. I'm guessing that would apply to more people so I'm not quite sure in the end exactly how that benefits the Epic servers as a viable ongoing game.

I thought the current populations weren't that great - let alone causing them to decrease even more.

ofc this things can happen rarely on epic, thats why they tryed to rebuild after the 1. meteor, but 2 weeks after the 2. meteor striked the same are (in total that was 3 meteors within a maybe 50 tiles range). so sorry but where is the "randomnes" or the "rarety", ofc ppl quit after getting smashed the 2. time from a "rare" event

• Like 1

I figure these events should perhaps be less extreme, like I figure perhaps some raising or lowering of the terrain is absolutely fine but a ridiculously high pillar or chasm like that could damage immersion. It's not so much a realism thing as an immersion thing I think. I always get disappointed when I see completely irreparable columns, craters and canyons of extreme dimensions. A subtle crater, canyon or hill would be much better in my view.

• Like 7

Quoting edrics post from the other thread so others can see the damage.

How "random" does this things drop rly drop on the map ? We had 3 impacts in a maybe 50 tile wide area so far. The last 2 impacts within just 2-3 weeks apart.

I think with beeing unlucky once, and then rebuilding the most can life. But getting hit another time, 2 weeks after rebuilding, drives ppl away from the game. and that is what happened to some friends of mine. they are not interested to waste any more money into this game anymore.

gg6lqnbhfqr.jpg
xkv6y6r8x5fm.jpg
cnv4did7dbbu.jpg
q3o9uxuc9cr.jpg

That chasm you posted heboric was probably the easiest to fix part of the damage.

TBH, if we cant dig it, then it shoudlnt go past it.

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 1

I agree, very steep slopes are not only a pain in the arse to navigate past/fix, but look ugly as hell with stretched textures etc.  Not keen on terraforming stuff from what ive seen, but i like the spawns, maybe lava/marsh/tundra up large areas or spawn loads of thorns, or terraform but less steep.

That chasm you posted heboric was probably the easiest to fix part of the damage..

I posted 2 chasms - one is on the back (north) side of the deed towards the mountain - the other is on the south side. The majority of what is left is actually now trapped between the two with no way to access it.

It's a complete mess.