Sign in to follow this  
Talilon

Enchanting Shatter Changes

• Enchants shattering was tweaked and generalized. Some enchants now have a lot less chance of shatters while failing now always has a very small risk of shattering.

Anyone have more information on this?

The way this is reading to me is that failing any enchant now has a small chance of shattering, including mailboxes and enchants that wouldn't shatter an item on failure prior to this patch?

I think it was to balance things like the high shatter rate of FA, which is identical to FB, but had like 10x the shatter rate

So you cast genesis on an animal and it just drops dead if you "shatter"?, lol

I think it just means the normal item spells

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 1

Genesis is not really an Enchantment ... more of a cure.

the one i want to know about is the /snipe, what is to stop a bunch of friends from getting together and saying, i dont like x player lets snipe him or her for fun

You'd probably need a bit more than a few friends to snipe someone. (but that's off topic here, should have gone in the other thread)

As for this topic: First I thought it meant that spells like demise would now also have a chance to chatter when you fail to improve.

But now I'm worried that it could also mean that it might shatter if you fail the spell, acca spend only a fraction of favour and not cast at all.

I positively hate it that devs constantly refuse to talk about game mechanics and updates.

Would like to at least know what spells offer a shatter chance and if the ones that already did are more or less likely to shatter on failure now.

Not enchanting anything valuable until we can get some more info. Which will be extremely hard considering how random casting is. 63 channeling and I can easily cast 50 in a row without a shatter on 1ql items. But just as easy shatter double digits throughout 50 casts.

Will take players s very long time to try and judge the difference.

Sounds like people with low channeling are going to have a great time shattering their gem collection trying to grind it.

• Like 2

can shatter gems now? :/ whaaat, a real bloody gimp to those who want to catch up on Freedom servers......

I hope that gems cannot be shattered or what a way to stick it to the young priests. In the mean time I will assume this was a positive change. 

I'm imagining the carnage that's going to happen when newbie priests run around and bless anything and everything.

I haven't shattered any items of decent ql in months when casting coc or woa. Yesterday i shattered a ql 65 pelt (coc) and a ql 70 rake (woa) :(

Seems like the change might have serious impact on enchanting

Just burned well over 100 gems, no failshatters, so vessel is probably unaffected (or I'm superlucky)

• Like 1

Guess i was just really unlucky then. I consider that good news :-)

My understanding could be paraphrased as;

I reduced the chance of an item shattering from a casting failure in certain situations. There still is and always will be a small chance an item can shatter on failure.

Can we shatter people with dispel? :)

This requires testing...

You begin to cast dispel on Suntzu. 

What would be useful is if people with low channeling (40-55?) could post their experiences.

Other thing: if anyone shatters a spell that couldn't shatter before then please post here. Some possible enchants that could shatter now: courier, bless and demise spells. I wouldn't expect spells such as mend or sunder to count as enchants, but of course you never know in this game.

I will just repeat and paraphrase what i posted in the according thread in the suggestions forum (mind you, i don't have a priest nor do i have any enchanted items currently);

A mechanic that has a chance (regardless of how high or low that chance is) to completely destroy an item which people spent a lot of time and/or money for is a cheap and stupid mechanic that feels like the game is giving you the middle finger. Furthermore with this game and community i can see the angry threads coming from a mile away. I would remove / exchange shattering alltogether and replace it with something less "###### you", like more complicated repairs or longer timers.

Some mechanics in wurm online just look like they are made to intentionally piss off the players.

Edited by VentureCo

A mechanic that has a chance (regardless of how high or low that chance is) to completely destroy an item which people spent a lot of time and/or money for is a cheap and stupid mechanic that feels like the game is giving you the middle finger. Furthermore with this game and community i can see the angry threads coming from a mile away. I would remove / exchange shattering alltogether and replace it with something less "###### you", like more complicated repairs or longer timers.

Some mechanics in wurm online just look like they are made to intentionally piss off the players.

This is exactly why I will never cast aosp on my drake set. I do not want to lose any part of unique armor. Even if chance to destroy is tiny tiny tiny miniature small ...

With my 76+ chann mag priest I casted aosp on a lot of sets, my best studded set is in range 90-102 aosp. It is long time I saw my last 'shatter', but I will not risk things, what I can't replace.

Edited by Zakerak

I think having a chance to shattering is good. If not it would simply be a matter of casting over and over until you had a perfect item. It also means that you need a highly skilled priest if you really don't want to risk a shatter. I also think it's ok that only only the best priests and people who are willing to gamble get to make the best items in the game.

What I don't think is fine is changing such an important mechanic without giving us any information about how it has changed.

• Like 1