Sign in to follow this  
Terapherna

I Would Like To Say Something....

-Forum did something derp, ignore/delete this post.-

Edited by Alec

We've had to talk to a lot of newcomers about how they've been treated when they come into the game for the first time, and it takes a lot to convince them that it's worth sticking around in. A lot of members in Ashuria are quite jaded because of the horrible "welcome" they recieved. We had a young boy crying because he said he just wanted to play with us, but people kept telling him to leave, decieving him by leading him places where he could be trapped, and then murdered over and over again just because he was with me.

It's quite disturbing how many people there are that have been doing this, it's not just a select few. These were real tears this kid was crying because of the actions of those who wish to ruin a good time for others.

I think your friend didn't understand what a PvP server is, or what PvP stands for.

I mean, it's PvP even if we use NRDS, it's by no means fault of anyone.

DAMAGE CONTROL

HERE USE THIS

• Like 1

If it was just a PVP server where u skilled and died because of tactical mistakes and or not training the skills I could understand.

But when the words used DIMINISH or DEVALUE the person who you are fighting with in a GAME or Real life setting id say you need to rethink your gameplan.

Last I read somewhere the human mind cannot take a joke.  The brain just keeps on trying to figure it out in some form of another.

Now...Ive had my words in Kchat..Pvp..and other ways but I got to say,, IM sorry.. So ill try harder.  Wonder if anybody else here has the balls to do it.

Treat people as you would wish them to treat you...

...and that's why I tend to be a bit of a prick.

• Like 4

What is 'this'?

Edited by Rien

I disagree.  Bullying problems have been vastly blown out of proportion lately.  Bullying (confrontation, conflict, violence) is also human nature, no matter how "evolved" we might try to convince ourselves we are.  If we as a species become so soft that verbal insults scar you, especially to the point we kill ourselves, we'll be in trouble.

• Like 4

I think your friend didn't understand what a PvP server is, or what PvP stands for.

I mean, it's PvP even if we use NRDS, it's by no means fault of anyone.

HERE USE THIS

I disagree, Bashur and the people he has brought in have been targeted specifically becuase some people disagree with his presence in the game.  This is different from the danger of getting killed that comes with playing PVP, it's targetted bullying.  It's also likely to cause Rolf to give more special favors to Bashur and his friends, to make up for the mistreatment, so will achieve the opposite of what the griefers are trying to achieve.

Its just a game, there is a big difference about the virtual world and real life.

But maybe times are changing, these days kids grow up with internet, back in the days we didnt

I disagree, Bashur and the people he has brought in have been targeted specifically becuase some people disagree with his presence in the game.  This is different from the danger of getting killed that comes with playing PVP, it's targetted bullying.  It's also likely to cause Rolf to give more special favors to Bashur and his friends, to make up for the mistreatment, so will achieve the opposite of what the griefers are trying to achieve.

Bashur, from a PvP politic point of view, didn't try to stay under the radar. He taunt and thread everyone, without being able to back up his words and actions. Is not like "some people disagree with his presence in the game".

That could be a great PvP move if what he seek was enemies to fight, fame and glory and if he was ready to take head on whatever Epic throw at he and his friends.

Then he found out that he made a really bad move. Tried to fix it but with meh outcome.

And in the end even Rolf said that he did a mistake by giving him special treatment.

PvP is Player versus Player in all its mighty meaning. That includes how to handle public relationships and politics(wich I love but I'm awfull at it by the way), not just kill or being killed, thats a very simplistic and ignorant view of it(and please take no offense for this but thats how It looks for me).

If you are not suited to handle that kind of thing, I would suggest to re-think your strategy/mindset/playstyle or go to Freedom, where there is a code of conduct, unlike Epic 'cuz all's fair in love and war.

And thats why I like PvP, popcorns. And why I think there's not such thing as "targeted bullying" in PvP.

Cuz if that was the case, we would have all BLers crying cuz it's and unfair that there are 2 WLers kingdoms that are againts them lorewise(targeted bullying cuz they disagree that they are BL and not WL).

Will need more corn for popcorns if this thread goes on.

Edited by Alec
  • Like 3

Slightly ironic that this post comes from someone who had a fairly significant go at me for having Aspergers, in Deli Kchat, in front of everyone. So everyone reading this thread, I'd recommend taking everything Terapherna says with a grain of salt as he's *kinda* being a GIANT HYPOCRITE.

That is always the case for people who make such threads.

Its like a beg for ignore list.

PS: Bashurs followers can thank their holy leader for being treated like that, someone with that behavior and attitude will get slaugthered on any pvp-sever in any game he put his feet on.

Edited by Void
  • Like 4

The most important thing of this is all that of learn it. We cant and then people to play if behave!

PvP is not for kids, or for people who know they are emotionally sensitive to verbal abuse and trash-talk, or for people who think everyone else in the game is going to be trustworthy and look out for each other. 

When you're playing a PvP game you have to be aware of how the rules work and what other players are allowed to do to you within the context of the game. It sounds like Bashur's kid has never done PvP before and doesn't know what it entails. I feel bad for him, but if he doesn't understand some basic concepts of how to be "street smart" in a PvP situation (why was he outside the village if he wasn't strong enough to fight other players, etc.) then he needs to learn them or people are going to keep taking advantage of him. 

Trash-talk is a separate issue, but it's going to happen in PvP. I haven't experimented with the practicality of putting an enemy player on /ignore in PvP but I can't imagine it being a good idea. :P So you have to desensitize yourself to the talk or just not chat in certain channels. 

Bashur, if you're going to have kids playing in your alliance, and you want to make sure they have a good time in the game and don't get the worst of these kinds of behaviour, it's probably your prerogative to help them learn how to stay safe and not take the game too personally.

Edited by Burnet
  • Like 2

Slightly ironic that this post comes from someone who had a fairly significant go at me for having Aspergers, in Deli Kchat, in front of everyone. So everyone reading this thread, I'd recommend taking everything Terapherna says with a grain of salt as he's *kinda* being a GIANT HYPOCRITE.

People can change my friend, regardless of what you or others might think of me. I do very much think about what i am saying before i say it now, yes if you read i did admit to being part of that crowd in this forum topic and explained that. I do wish things could be different and i would have seen what i was doing before i did it. But as the saying goes hind sight is 20/20, we cant change the past we can only look to the future and hope that we dont make the same mistakes as we did in the past. I truly hope everything is well with you with everything that we have spoke about in the past.

I just need to speak up and say that the bullying happens because its how children cope with unfair treatment.  Bashur's friends being bullied? perhaps its because of unfair treatment?

PvP servers are probably not for young children. People taunt, trash talk, etc., and some accept it to a certain degree. Being killed is part of PvP, and you shouldn't, under any circumstances, be on a PvP server if you have no intention of dying at the hands of others. You will die. You will lose items, mounts, resources, and even coins. You may even be raided. It's all part of PvP, and anyone who can't accept that should be on Freedom. I don't mean to be disrespectful with this post, but it is the truth. If you can't accept the play style of a server, you should move away from it for your own good.

• Like 5

I don't really want to be blunt and understand it is an issue, but people who would do "serious" offense to someone isn't going to care about your post. As for the majority of us, a little friendly (or not so friendly) banter is perfectly fine, if people are really being offended by idiots like me over the internet in a setting like a online game (where it's usually not personal, and extremely seldom does it even make sense) that is their problem not mine.

I find it funny that the PVPpeople the ones who cause the angst and feel the need to let testosterone rule over brain cells.

Accuse those who have it seems more brain cells then testosterone of not being able to hack it.

Pvp is open combat sure.. We all understand that.. use the character to kill.

But i always find it how childish and mean people become when somehow killing a fake character in a game gets them physically excited to the point of verbally bad mouthing left and right.

It is not just the responsibilty of those who die to control there anger but also of those who kill to be somewhat gracious about.

I know im going to get flamed for saying all this but its ok.  I expect the reaction from online little men :)

I find it funny that the PVPpeople the ones who cause the angst and feel the need to let testosterone rule over brain cells.

Accuse those who have it seems more brain cells then testosterone of not being able to hack it.

Pvp is open combat sure.. We all understand that.. use the character to kill.

But i always find it how childish and mean people become when somehow killing a fake character in a game gets them physically excited to the point of verbally bad mouthing left and right.

It is not just the responsibilty of those who die to control there anger but also of those who kill to be somewhat gracious about.

I know im going to get flamed for saying all this but its ok.  I expect the reaction from online little men :)No

Now, thats an example of taunting.

• Like 2

Whatever is really unacceptable in terms of verbal abuse IS covered in the ruls, even on a PvP server. Absolute verbal abuse is not allowed, so whatever is happening has either already had it's consequenses if rules were broken, or said player did simply rush into a decision to pick a pvp server and not think about what that includes, and is playing the victim afterwards.

Perhaps you should think twice about bringing young children into a PvP environment. Most games online that have player vs player elements are like this, that is nothing new or exclusive to wurm. If it really causes so much grief to them that they cry because they got killed, I think it's time to heavily reconsider if you picked the right playstyle for the people you invite to play with you; or, at the very least, warn them beforehand that getting killed, looted, drained and stolen from is a very real possibility and they should expect this to happen.

But Im not sure how people managed to turn this thread from people comitting suicide due to highschool bullying into a thread about how bashurs playmates are crying and that every other pvper is an internet tough guy now. Or why this thread is even still here in town square, for that matter.

Edited by Alyeska
  • Like 6

I think this thread is perfectly fine, it's just a select few taking it off topic.

I know im going to get flamed for saying all this but its ok.  I expect the reaction from online little men :)

LOL what a hypocrite.

In PvP you shouldn't expect everyone to be nice to you, but I don't like it when people take the game too far and start insulting their enemies personally. However, this never bothers me because all they are doing is making themselves look like idiots.

Edited by Sir Arowhun
  • Like 2

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by RedBaron_Johan, October 21, 2013 - This is breaking paragraph 1, Paragraph 1, Creating threads or posts with the intent of causing unrest on the forums. Posting to offend, insult, taunt or aggravate other forum users and staff.
Hidden by RedBaron_Johan, October 21, 2013 - This is breaking paragraph 1, Paragraph 1, Creating threads or posts with the intent of causing unrest on the forums. Posting to offend, insult, taunt or aggravate other forum users and staff.

We've had to talk to a lot of newcomers about how they've been treated when they come into the game for the first time, and it takes a lot to convince them that it's worth sticking around in. A lot of members in Ashuria are quite jaded because of the horrible "welcome" they recieved. We had a young boy crying because he said he just wanted to play with us, but people kept telling him to leave, decieving him by leading him places where he could be trapped, and then murdered over and over again just because he was with me.

It's quite disturbing how many people there are that have been doing this, it's not just a select few. These were real tears this kid was crying because of the actions of those who wish to ruin a good time for others.

What about not playing on a pvp server? You could have settled on freedom and your special kids would be happily playing farmville online now. Pvp server means pvp can actually happen. I know, probably a bit shocking for your minecraft groupies. Maybe you should have informed them.

You know what would help mitigating the issue? Not having kids with spelling issues asking a thousand times a day IS BASHER ONLIEN?= WHR IS ASHERTOPIA? If it wasn't annoying enough in the global chats, double that for us lucky people already living in the sector you decided to grace with your presence.

Total sympathy to those who are teaching some manners to your horde of kids.

Also, if you didn't make it up and you really had to listen to a crying ###### on ts, tell him to go outside and get some fresh air. Maybe the internet isn't the best place for him.

Or point him to Eve online. You know, shock therapy. Maybe it will help.

• Like 2

Heh, you guys never played MMOs before? I mean non-carebear MMOs...

• Like 2

Lol, the carebear thing. If I understand correctly, carebear is a derogatory term for someone who helps other players, whether it's offering advice, offering materials or land or a village to join, or mediating disputes between people who are supposed to be allies. This is a game that requires community and is stupidly hard to solo, especially on PvP. Make enemies and you don't last very long. Trash-talk is one thing, but shaming people who try to keep a game fun by being friendly or standing up against bullying is all kinds of nasty.

• Like 2

Treat people as you would wish them to treat you...

...and that's why I tend to be a bit of a prick.

QTF!!!!! (Didn't mean you were a prick either hehe)

I get treated by others how I treat them, and they in turn. If they come at me harshly, I try to politely tell them to cool it, if they don't - ignore ftw.

And the best rule to use here? Two wrongs don't make a right! People break that one every time.