Sign in to follow this  
Terapherna

I Would Like To Say Something....

I had mentioned this once in chat one day and got bashed on pretty hard for being "weak" in which i don't believe i should be considered being weak when i show my disapproval when it comes to someone being insulted in an "online" environment. Bullying online or other wise has real consequences.  Regardless of what you believe on the subject this is real. One should be very weary of what they say online or in real life for that matter. What you say might not seem to be "that  bad" but you also have to consider it isnt always just what you said this time or even that it wasnt that bad, a lot of times it is a build up of multiple instances that leads up to this happening. I would hate for one to find out that something they said or did would have tipped one of these people over the edge.

http://www.bullyingstatistics.org/content/bullying-and-suicide.html

• Like 5

Well this thread is already dead before it started...

• Like 1

Someone once called me "ever the noob". It was pretty upsetting.

Edited by Alyeska
  • Like 6

It's a bit like trying to teach a kid not to hit others - A lot of kids are convinced that if a punch in the arm does not hurt them it doesn't hurt others. A lot of Internet bullies can be compared to the kid who hits its parents in order to get attention. It doesn't realize that it hurts the parents, it just notices that it grants them a lot of attention because it can't quite understand something which it cannot feel for itself.

It's this inability to put oneself in the shoes of others that makes people think that someone who takes offense by remarks made on the Internet is a weak person. If they are unable to imagine a scenario where a conversation would hurt them they aren't going to understand it unless it happens to themselves.

Then there's also the case where the bullies are just outright turds.

• Like 6

Good thought, tho its sorta well known topic/issue. Thumbs up for care

(Not trolling here, but.. Sorry I couldnt read that article cause when opened it, before even reading headline, my eyes stopped at Goodthaigirl.com add, so yeh, umm..)

recent events have shown me that this is a real issue, and i am just as much at fault as anyone else in this issue, though it is in the past and i now truly watch what i say, things really make you think when you are a directly effected by something like this and though i wasn't the cause the way i was directly effected i can see where some of the things i have said in the past could have lead to something like this.

Ive had over 5 people tell me that you bully and troll in chats all the time.

I dont even know you, but I dont think you are just an angel who didnt do anything bad.

[move to Wood Scraps]

• Like 1

I think this should be in woodscrap, and then forge.

We've had to talk to a lot of newcomers about how they've been treated when they come into the game for the first time, and it takes a lot to convince them that it's worth sticking around in. A lot of members in Ashuria are quite jaded because of the horrible "welcome" they recieved. We had a young boy crying because he said he just wanted to play with us, but people kept telling him to leave, decieving him by leading him places where he could be trapped, and then murdered over and over again just because he was with me.

It's quite disturbing how many people there are that have been doing this, it's not just a select few. These were real tears this kid was crying because of the actions of those who wish to ruin a good time for others.

• Like 2

We've had to talk to a lot of newcomers about how they've been treated when they come into the game for the first time, and it takes a lot to convince them that it's worth sticking around in. A lot of members in Ashuria are quite jaded because of the horrible "welcome" they recieved. We had a young boy crying because he said he just wanted to play with us, but people kept telling him to leave, decieving him by leading him places where he could be trapped, and then murdered over and over again just because he was with me.

It's quite disturbing how many people there are that have been doing this, it's not just a select few. These were real tears this kid was crying because of the actions of those who wish to ruin a good time for others.

You picked the pvp server.... 

• Like 4

I thought this was another one of them spambot posts and was about to report this thread until I looked at your post count and realised it was legit.

Sorry, I'm an idiot!

I hope your friend stuck to the game. There is always a place for new players in this game, they are our futur. It's easy to take advantage of the weak, it takes courage to stand up to those around you and say enough is enough.

As always, keep your chin up and carry on.

• Like 1

There are some that play this game who feel a large sense of personal ownership when it comes to Wurm Online.  It isn't really Rolf's game, it is their game <-- that kind of attitude.  As such, anything that goes against the personal preferences, opinions, or ideas of those I am describing results in verbal retaliation from them in the forums and character retaliation in the game.  But these are the minority for the most part, I think.  The real problem is when lots of others jump on the bandwagon of these I am describing because they think it is cute or cool to join in on the harassment.   This is a typical human mob-response mentality.  It is sad that these things are so, but true.  All I can suggest is that players understand this is the internet and there is no way to filter bad human nature from the experience.  All we can do is try and overlook the unsavory interactions with others that sometimes happen and focus on what really is enjoyable in the game and the community.

• Like 1

Slightly ironic that this post comes from someone who had a fairly significant go at me for having Aspergers, in Deli Kchat, in front of everyone. So everyone reading this thread, I'd recommend taking everything Terapherna says with a grain of salt as he's *kinda* being a GIANT HYPOCRITE.

• Like 3