Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

Should We Make Player Name Change Available For A Fee?

Player Name Change?  

468 members have voted

1. 1. Should in game character Name Change be available for a fee?

• Yes, I would like the option for players to change their names.
    • No, I do not want player name changes in the game.

FREE should not be an option.  If you want a free option name change, start a new toon.  Work for it.

• Like 1

a character is made to start play the game: the creator of that character choose the name

a character is bought from another player: the creator of that character choose the name

So make the name you like to have on character and live with it

dont buy a character if you cant live with the name

There is no reson to alloud any namechange at all since the player make the first name of the character

Only reson for it would be if Rolf cant find out any other way to make money on us

So Rolf search for another way to make money

So Rolf search for another way to make money

As it looks now the majority of the players wants that feature, that Rolf would earn money with it (ofc it shouldn´t be for free) is just a positive side effect.

I have to assume those of you that want it to be free want to be able to change your own names, without paying for the privilege.

Not everyone that wants a name change is requesting it to be free. I would like a name change for the toon my wife plays as she took it over and has to put up with my name on it which is no big deal but if there was a way to change name she would and we are quite happy to pay a fee for this service.

The idea of name changes is awful imo. It gets annoying not knowing who you can trust and who just changed their name to scam you or just annoy people with consequence.

• Like 1

I am confident the dev team we have now could nail this thing to the wall properly.

It doesn't matter if Wurm has the best developers in the world or not when the testing of new features is taken so lightly. As you might've noticed most new features are buggy when implemented which is tolerable for graphical features but not as much fun for possible security threats. Certain old bugs involving fences will seem like a breeze if names and permissions start acting up.

• Like 1

I voted yes.  What currently happens when someone sells a character?  That person usually notifies the forum that said character is sold and from that moment onward, the former owner is not responsible for the actions of that character.  It would not matter if a name was changed or not.  Flip this around, and let a notorious player change the name of a notorious character.  Once someone saw the previous character name, the reputation would follow the new name.   My point is, the argument that name changing is confusing is really moot because regardless of the name changing or not, a character carries the reputation of the real-life player and not the other way around.

Also, Rolf should charge a fee for this "service".  There is nothing wrong with doing that and it is not fair for people to insist that he provide this value-added service for free.  Indeed, let Code Club make some money off of this nice feature and let the players benefit from it as well.

The fee should not be ridiculously high.  I think 5 euro.  

The fee should NOT be paid with silver.  Code Club will not see revenue if it is.  It should be a shop item.

The option should be maybe once every 3 or 6 months.  Too short and it will be abused.  Too long and it will not be a benefit to consider when selling a toon.

Edited by Eyesgood
  • Like 3

I would love to see a player name change for 'free' within the first say.. 4 hours of gameplay. A one time freebie name change...

Reason being a lot of people I refer to the game don't realise the login username is the in-game name too and have to 'deal with it' or make a character again and go all the way through the tutorial and 'ain't nobody got time for dat'.

I wouldn't mind paying a fee for a name change, however after 4 years, I've grown rather fond of it.

+1, but we should be able to check their history aswell.

Maybe GMs add little 'history text' to anyone who wish to name change?

Just an idea.. and Id like to change Silakka to Sardine, because no1 is finnish to understand it haha.

I vote Yes

Main reason is for more control of  our game creations and  time investments.

Edited by lawurm
  • Like 1

Just saying it will be abused no matter what you do to prevent griefing.

This areguement has beenthouroughly debunked. A name change poses no more risk than is already there.

• Like 1

No name changes IMO. Otherwise reputation is worthless. Any way you slice it, changing the character name is dishonest / misrepresenting. The only way I would not personally scorn this idea is if you get a list of any character's history of names via the right-click menu, and names can never be re-used.

Im sorry but reputation follows people regardless of the acct they are on. I can give many quality examples.

• Like 1

The idea of name changes is awful imo. It gets annoying not knowing who you can trust and who just changed their name to scam you or just annoy people with consequence.

This post speaks volumes. Its all about fear. What you fear can happen right now without name changes. There is no increased risk with an implementation of name changes with some controls coded by the devs, in turn which most of these "no's" would be yes's.

It might be worth noting most people who have said no have said "unless" there is some controls, but it is silly to assume there would be none...

• Like 1

Buyable mirrors would be a good idea.

U can change gender with mirror? Cant.

But if you want change face, just create alt and bring new one

Edited by Aleaiactaest

I would never change my Name, AAetius.  I use this name in several games.

I WOULD like to change the name of my priest alt, which I purchased several years ago.

My priest alt is Polanpl.   My priest alt regularly receives PMs from people in Polish.  I do not understand Polish.  I am not Polish.   The person who created Polanpl and later sold it is Polish.  I would like to have the option to change the name of Polanpl to something else, even if I have to pay a reasonable fee. 

+1  

Name change history should be available for GM's. But not to every player. A public record of past names makes name changes undesirable and consequently a waste of dev time.

Making past name's available to general public defeats the purpose of changing your name. The freedom to start out fresh without making a new toon is a good thing. I don't get how people seem to think all this bad stuff is going to happen if name history isn't public.

Sounds like a code change that could be tricky to implement and I don't see any substantial benefit.  As has been said, even small issues with implementing could result in big issues if permissions/accesses get screwed up.  Risk vs reward seems out of proportion to me.

I can't see folk quitting because they are bored of their name, and if you want to buy an account then the name is part of what you are buying for good or for ill.  So in short I don't see a need to change it when there are other - safer and more valuable - things that could be worked on.

I assume you'd rather we didn't point out that the item to do this is already made and (accidentally) released which makes this poll look like a charade...

• Like 2

They already had their minds set to make them possible no matter the outcome of this poll!

• Like 1

I don't see the big deal but I don't need a name change either and from what I can see the yes vote is in the lead anyway.

Edited by Kegan

Sounds like a code change that could be tricky to implement and I don't see any substantial benefit.  As has been said, even small issues with implementing could result in big issues if permissions/accesses get screwed up.  Risk vs reward seems out of proportion to me.

I can't see folk quitting because they are bored of their name, and if you want to buy an account then the name is part of what you are buying for good or for ill.  So in short I don't see a need to change it when there are other - safer and more valuable - things that could be worked on.

How can you say it is tricky to code... lol. We would have no idea how hard or easy it is to code.

I don't see the big deal but I don't need a name change either and from what I can see the yes vote is in the lead anyway.

Plus most of the nos are really yes's

I more mean that it is tricky in that so many things would seem to run off the back of it, from Friend list to building entry to deed membership to mine doors, etc

Considering how 'simple' some changes appear and yet the prove difficult and cause problems I thin kit is reasonable to consider something that obviously has a lot of knock-on implications to be tricky.  Either that or it is all simple and then it's hard to know why it all so often goes wrong...

I'm glad that you are taking the idea to do it. Voted yes, because as much as some people want to whine about it, all you need is a /history function or something similar.
If you do, I'll be paying for sure to change my name to the proper name (I'm getting tired of having people fail to pronounce it, AuroraGrey is so much easier); just please, please do NOT forget a /history command or it -will- be abused.