Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

Should We Make Player Name Change Available For A Fee?

Player Name Change?  

468 members have voted

1. 1. Should in game character Name Change be available for a fee?

• Yes, I would like the option for players to change their names.
    • No, I do not want player name changes in the game.

Once again the same thing can be done with an account purchase Alyeska. The world isnt ending when characters trade hands all the time to anonymous buyers.

The thing is, with account purchases, the name remains. If I don't like player X, I won't do business with him... doesn't matter who's in the cockpit.

One suggested branch of the idea:

For characters in the tutorial, and only while they're in the tutorial, allow one free name change.

This is so those players who made errors such as using a name forbidden by the rules in some way, or made a mistake in creating the name for their initial character to have the name changed before they're actually in gameplay.

Wouldn't create any PvP problems or any confusion over who is who since it'd only be able to be done by a character that's only existed in the tutorial and hasn't actually entered the real game yet.

Bunch of nay sayers  need to get over yourselves.

Long as we have a data base we can look at to see what the old name is and nothing is hidden then BIG DEAL.

Let Rolf get his extra cash for those desperate to use it and maybe he will LOWER the monthly cost back to the level of reality.

MY 2 Gold worth !!

The thing is, with account purchases, the name remains. If I don't like player X, I won't do business with him... doesn't matter who's in the cockpit.

Do you honestly think they would implement this without regard or stipulations and controls? That seems to be what some people are implying, it is silly fear mongering.

Bunch of nay sayers  need to get over yourselves.

Long as we have a data base we can look at to see what the old name is and nothing is hidden then BIG DEAL.

Let Rolf get his extra cash for those desperate to use it and maybe he will LOWER the monthly cost back to the level of reality.

MY 2 Gold worth !!

They know there would be controls but they are too busy saying the same thing over and over acting like there would not be and voting on alts.

but they are too busy saying the same thing over and over

Says the one with around 50% of the posts in this thread :rolleyes:

Why didn't you ask for name changes 10 years ago when you started or before Rolf made his mistake?

It is not like people don't know who buys and plays what accounts...

Do you honestly think they would implement this without regard or stipulations and controls? That seems to be what some people are implying, it is silly fear mongering.

No, I think if it was implemented, they would do as suggested by many players: keep public records of the history of said players. There would also be internal files, galore. Are some people taking the idea to an extreme? Sure. Always happens. Is it fear mongering? I wouldn't go so far as to say that... maybe a little short sighted, but that's about it.

Since I chimed in, and haven't voiced my personal feelings on the matter, I will take the time to do so now: I voted no. I think it's more trouble than it's worth. I'd rather see development time go into bug fixes and new implementations. I'd rather see GMs spend their time helping players stuck in mine and server abysses than to have to devote time to policing this new feature that could or could not be used in a negative fashion.

I'd say it should be an option, since most other games have this. It only really effects the KoS listing, so maybe make it keep them on kos via auto-name change when they change their name. And on top of that the dev makes more money, win win for em. But yeah find some way to make the KoS stick even if they change names and it will work great.

I will just point out I really dislike the 'well other games have this' statement, sure, let us just make Wurm like every other game out there. It shouldn't be changed to be in line with everything else out there.

I guess all that stuff matters to some people i asked someone to improve my weapon the other day and they actually wanted to know who the maker was. I just assumed if it was the wrong person they would have said no or something just sounds crazy to me but it happened. 

May be the old superstition about items sigged by other people being harder to imp.  While I am 110% sure there's no meat to that old fable, I still always ask the makers mark on items if people are asking for super high (98+ ql on tools) ql imps.  Old habits die hard, I suppose.

That, or people just prefer to imp things with their own sigs on them as a matter of pride.

• Like 1

Heck yes. Especially when one long time player can ruin a reputation calling you a griefer, talk their idiot cronies into kosing you, even tho GMs clearly and publically stated the action you took was NOT griefing, THEN to add to that said long time player follows you to a new server and continues the harrassment by planting a deed on the new server right next to yours and starting their same crap over again claiming in answer to the /support call that they have legitimate reasons for keeping the 'new' deed which is still not developed at all nearly two years later!

Name change would prevent quitting due to such actions! NO to history from afar either!

• Like 2

May be the old superstition about items sigged by other people being harder to imp.  While I am 110% sure there's no meat to that old fable, I still always ask the makers mark on items if people are asking for super high (98+ ql on tools) ql imps.  Old habits die hard, I suppose.

That, or people just prefer to imp things with their own sigs on them as a matter of pride.

I, too, believe in that "superstition". In my experience with blacksmith improving, my own tools typically raise faster/fail less than other creator's. 

You already can though,,, why aren't you guys passionately lobbying for removal of buying and selling accounts? The same hypothetical reasons not to have name changes are already possible buy purchasing an account and has been for years and guess what, all of those fears are not a reality and it is a non issue. We already have many years of account sales and none of this fear mongering has come to fruition.

I am all for removing account selling. Lets start the lobby train woot woot I am onboard that baby as I always thought it should be removed. But to stay on track no name changes either.

This game has many skills, but there is a hidden one without a number that is most important.

I'm talking about a player's reputation. In Wurm, a players reputation, weather good or bad, is decided by others that have opinions of him/her. Creating a name change system would allow people to make a clean slate without the cost of having to restart your skills. This would make it far too easy for people that commit crimes against a community with no consequences. If name changes are added, there should be some sort of link to the original name of the character so that this player-powered reputation system isn't ruined.

Edited by Sir Arowhun

No

But if this goes through would like to see the following criteria added.

One time only

Costs 50 silver

Is globally announced

Is published on the website

When you examine the character it displays the previous nane

Says the one with around 50% of the posts in this thread :rolleyes:

Why didn't you ask for name changes 10 years ago when you started or before Rolf made his mistake?

People have been asking for years.

And you still would, the devs would not put in smoe half assed system that lets people abuse it. Get real.

Edited by Suntzu

+1

I think somewhere around 25s is a good price for it, as others mentioned you should be able to somehow learn if someone changes their name (announced in deaths tab on PvP servers? /history or something)

Ok, here is the deal.  if we have player changing names that would be great. Reason is that say you have a alt but its name is one you do not want. So you decide to make a new charector. Now then, a few years pass and then they allow player changes. Then the people who have alts that dont play them anymore because they hate  there names or have a bad reputation would then pay for that alt to be premed now lets think about the numbers now

If Premium as of 10/17/2013 is 22 dollars. If just 15 people bought premium for those alts they would make a total of 330 dollars, now if you think about it there is only probably 400 to 200 players who have at least 2 characters each. now, you make a total of 4400 dollars from just 200 players. If just 20 percent of the players premed there alt account then you would make a total of 880 extra dollars. That is not including the other alts that they have but just 1 of them

I hope this helps influences you to allow player name changes.

Edited by darkninja
  • Like 1

Ok, here is the deal.  if we have player changing names that would be great. Reason is that say you have a alt but its name is one you do not want. So you decide to make a new charector. Now then, a few years pass and then they allow player changes. Then the people who have alts that dont play them anymore because they hate  there names or have a bad reputation would then pay for that alt to be premed now lets think about the numbers now

If Premium as of 10/17/2013 is 22 dollars. If just 15 people bought premium for those alts they would make a total of 330 dollars, now if you think about it there is only probably 400 to 200 players who have at least 2 characters each. now, you make a total of 4400 dollars from just 200 players. If just 20 percent of the players premed there alt account then you would make a total of 880 extra dollars. That is not including the other alts that they have but just 1 of them

I hope this helps influences you to allow player name changes.

Don't think that is relevant, sorry.

Some sort of /whois command

Update to Kos lists as well as friend lists, permissions...blahblah.

Decent price tag on it to discourage spamming/griefint/trolling etc.

Some sort of cd 6months/year.

yes. allow name change.

whats this nonsense about tracking changed names? why would someone pay to change a name, if someone else can track it.

you other people have no business nor right to be prying in to other people's histories.  i'm not sorry if this offends you..

i'm 100% for anonymous name changing for a fee.

I think this is a great idea.

It would generate more income to keep the servers running.

A way to track old names would be ideal and of course rules must be thought up (like for players who have had issues with GM's not to be able to name change) but for the most part it would only serve to help the community.
I know I would pay for a name change despite what paranoid players may think.

I really hate this idea. Someone could go on a griefing spree, and then change their name and be a part of society like nothing happened, and then do it again when it is least expected. There should be a universal name for everyone that is easily visible in all chats, logs, etc, and never changes.