Sign in to follow this  
BabylonHoruv

Make A Way To Create Dirt

Almost all the resources in this game are renewable, the exceptions are items from unique mobs and dirt.  Unique mob items should be unique, but having dirt run out would be a very regrettable thing.  It is used up in mortar and charcoal piles and currently there is no way for more to come into play.

One possible way to create new dirt would be for rock shards to have a small possibility of becoming dirt when they decay completely, this would mirror reality.

Almost all the resources in this game are renewable, the exceptions are items from unique mobs and dirt.  Unique mob items should be unique, but having dirt run out would be a very regrettable thing.  It is used up in mortar and charcoal piles and currently there is no way for more to come into play.

One possible way to create new dirt would be for rock shards to have a small possibility of becoming dirt when they decay completely, this would mirror reality.

Sand is used in mortar NOT dirt.

Fo priests can turn items into dirt.

Fo priests can turn items into dirt.

Not items, only favor. Fo priests will create dirt from nothing.

Oh okay, I thought they cast it on an item then that item turned to dirt, my bad :)

Well, Shads has partially right. To cast Dirt I need 20 favor. In success I will create 7 dirt, on fail I will lose 4 favor. What means, to produce large quantity of dirt I will need large quantity of things to sacrifice to produce favor to cast dirt.

only if you want large quantities fast, 'natural' favor regen will give you dirt for nothing, semantics ;)

-1 for this idea I'm afraid. Dirt is a resource that is finite, so other than the spell it should be so. There is usually some old abandoned deed with a raised area you can drop, or dredge the ocean. 

On my old deed I dropped 7k of dirt or so, that could be dug up by someone should they wish to, or I could go back there and dig up the dirt to use on the new deed.

While working on my first Deli deed we dredged dirt up from the ocean, but left it looking like a natural sea bed.

Wait, a server ended have no more dirt that we need this suggestion? Or.. you just don't want to move to get dirt? :P

Alternative use for trash heaps, generate dirt if enough mass is supplied. I've also always liked the idea of dirt spilling back into the terrain instead of poofing on decay, but that's a different suggestion

• Like 3

Well, Shads has partially right. To cast Dirt I need 20 favor. In success I will create 7 dirt, on fail I will lose 4 favor. What means, to produce large quantity of dirt I will need large quantity of things to sacrifice to produce favor to cast dirt.

20 fav for 7 dirt?? That seems overpowered NERF NOW ..(sarcasm)

That's awesome, I now love fo priests

we will never run out of dirt

im 99.4digging and can 100% surely say that even with 10x bigger playerbase, the dirt would never end.

Can always dredge in the oceans or go in middle of a steppe and dig [as some already do]

I don't fully understand why you're worried about this? The odds of Wurm running out of dirt are smaller than my skillgain... People dont really get rid of dirt either, more than often it's just moved form one place to another.

I don't fully understand why you're worried about this? The odds of Wurm running out of dirt are smaller than my skillgain... People dont really get rid of dirt either, more than often it's just moved form one place to another.

I think thats the issue, it's not that the worry that dirt will run out, but the effort of dredging it from the ocean floor or having to go to another area to dig up dirt. (which is a fine system by me) and move it :P

We probably would have trouble running out of dirt if we tried.

• Like 1

It's not like Dirt is ever destroyed either, all Wurmians ever do is move it from one place to another.

And second point is that I think it is funny how this could be considered needed. There is hundreds of thousands of Dirt in such small areas, there is no way we could possibly run out...

Well we could in theory... just like time travel is possible in theory (unless you watch Doctor Who or like to play with semantics lol )

In an infinite universe any possibility can become a probability given enough time. 

(Like PVE and PVP focused players getting along together for longer than 20 minutes)

Edited by Hussars

It's not like Dirt is ever destroyed either, all Wurmians ever do is move it from one place to another.

And second point is that I think it is funny how this could be considered needed. There is hundreds of thousands of Dirt in such small areas, there is no way we could possibly run out...

Surely dirt is destroyed when making charcoal piles?

I'd +1 this with the garbage heap suggestion.  Let there be compost!

• Like 2

The Fo priest spell does what I was hoping for.

Dirt is indeed destroyed making charcoal piles, and doesn't digging sand lower the tile?

It's not like Dirt is ever destroyed either

Dude, breaks my heart when I see piles left out to take damage (thus destroyed) and then its even worse when my bsb tax eats tens of thousands of dirt before I get back to using it (destroyed again).

• Like 1

The subject has come up before, especially prior to the Fo spell.

One that stuck out to me was the trash heap generating dirt as long as you dump stuff into it. Either in a separate pile or inside itself while ignoring any dirt at all.

Surely dirt is destroyed when making charcoal piles?

I'd +1 this with the garbage heap suggestion.  Let there be compost!

Dude, breaks my heart when I see piles left out to take damage (thus destroyed) and then its even worse when my bsb tax eats tens of thousands of dirt before I get back to using it (destroyed again).

Well then, don't I look pretty stupid eh?

I completely forgot about Charcoal Piles and didn't even think about when bsbs eat some per month.

Disregard my previous statement on Dirt never being lost.

Edited by Shrimpiie

Most dirt probably is "destroyed" in BSBs, the 5% loss every month.

Actually I have seen a lot of people who would flatten an area down and leave the dirt piles for decay.

mortar destroys dirt too.  I know it is sand, but the two are interchangeable  since you can turn tiles back and forth freely and digging sand does lower the tile.