Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

Updated: Forum Code Of Conduct

I'm a paying member, I reserve the right to criticize any action I disagree with.

Not anymore ;)

(nice avatar)

Edited by Void
  • Like 1

Well, that's it guys. NO MORE TALKING ABOUT VYNORA/MAGRANON/LIBILA!

Even though Vynora is the best.

• Like 1

I know exactly why you are posting this and I do remember back when I started the game almost three years ago that it was a very harsh community even back then. It was almost like you had to be rude and obnoxious to fit in and get excepted. I guess over time I just rolled with it and now It seems second nature to attack when you don't like other peoples views and it has gotten crazy at times. 

I guess this means that we should be seeing more moderation of these rules now that you are bringing them to lite like this? 

Gud'day Kegan, 

This is well write summary of what I have experienced in my 18 months of Wurming.  This had one effect on my playing style within a week of my joining the Wurm community.  I turned off K-chat because, at times, the trolling and verbal (text spoken) nastiness when someone disagreed with another's point of view, was caustic to the point of wondering if I needed safety glasses to read any further.

A lot of other people I know keep G-Chat and K-Chat off, with the unintended consequence of over 2/3'rds of Wurmians missing out on being able to participate in the Vote on where to hold this upcoming Christmas's Impathon.

When I voiced my concern constructively in the forums over the fact that it was only announced in G-chat and k-chat, I was vigorously attacked and trolled by some individuals.   Only the person who ran the Vote Poll was kind enough to answer me in a civilized manner and requested my input how to improve things for next year.

To Johan, my heartfelt thanks for updating the forum rules, and giving the F-Mod's more leeway to deal with those who's whole purpose in life is to be nit picking bully or thug.

Making the Wurm experience more welcoming and friendly will certainly go a long way to retaining more of the neubies who are brave enough to step through the exit portal at the end of Golden Valley and try out this very tough and challenging game.

Kindest regards!

Hughmongus

Not anymore ;)

(nice avatar)

Varg Vikernes   :rolleyes:

I didn't actually notice until I looked again.

Gud'day Kegan, 

This is well write summary of what I have experienced in my 18 months of Wurming.  This had one effect on my playing style within a week of my joining the Wurm community.  I turned off K-chat because, at times, the trolling and verbal (text spoken) nastiness when someone disagreed with another's point of view, was caustic to the point of wondering if I needed safety glasses to read any further.

A lot of other people I know keep G-Chat and K-Chat off, with the unintended consequence of over 2/3'rds of Wurmians missing out on being able to participate in the Vote on where to hold this upcoming Christmas's Impathon.

When I voiced my concern constructively in the forums over the fact that it was only announced in G-chat and k-chat, I was vigorously attacked and trolled by some individuals.   Only the person who ran the Vote Poll was kind enough to answer me in a civilized manner and requested my input how to improve things for next year.

To Johan, my heartfelt thanks for updating the forum rules, and giving the F-Mod's more leeway to deal with those who's whole purpose in life is to be nit picking bully or thug.

Making the Wurm experience more welcoming and friendly will certainly go a long way to retaining more of the neubies who are brave enough to step through the exit portal at the end of Golden Valley and try out this very tough and challenging game.

Kindest regards!

Hughmongus

Very well stated sir.

I have chats disabled 99% of the time too, the rudeness, disrespect and self-entitlement is astoundingly rife.

Unfortunately rules do not change people.

On rehashing, you know people, if you don't continuously 'newsletter' them, they either forget or claim that they are new and didn't know.  ^_^

Edited by Marlon
  • Like 1

I know exactly why you are posting this and I do remember back when I started the game almost three years ago that it was a very harsh community even back then. It was almost like you had to be rude and obnoxious to fit in and get excepted. I guess over time I just rolled with it and now It seems second nature to attack when you don't like other peoples views and it has gotten crazy at times. 

I guess this means that we should be seeing more moderation of these rules now that you are bringing them to lite like this? 

Well nothing has changed, met quite a few people that you just basically have to be rude to in order to stop them thinking they have anything over you.

Hopefully these rules will help though.

If they expect people to stop complaining they should first make things work before they are added to the game.

Missions have been added many months ago and do still not work, and they expect us to keep quiet about it? Fix it and we don't have to complain. I pay several 100 euros a year to play this game and if i can't even complain about broken things that have been bugged for way to long then the staff is doing something wrong and not us, the complaining players.

Last euros you're seeing from me. From now on i will just pay with in-game silver which i have enough of anyway.

anything that doesnt suck up to the staff is basically defaming...

Edited by whykillme
  • Like 3

Ehh not really, you can basically call a person everything in the book in-game and not get in trouble because that person can just /ignore you

Not true.

its sad that some people interpret and see the rules only in their own special way so it fits their harrassment attitude....seriously guys, it was told alot of times that we shouldnt just bash codeclub or employees and so on, but instead beeing constructive or even bringing our concern to them in a pm, where is the problem with that?

• Like 2

I played a game some years ago that had a "Rants" fourm where people could post all their rants, rage quits, ventings, etc.  

Worked quite well actually.  It was still pretty heavily moderated so it didn't get too outrageous, you had to be a forum member to read it so it didn't prejudice outsiders checking out the game, and any posts for in-game issues that were already addressed by gms got deleted.  

Overall though, it was nice because anyone not interested in rants and such just didn't go to that forum, the general forum was much more pleasant, and people who felt they had to vent could do so before they exploded.  :)

Didnt we used to have something like this? I vaguely remember something like "The Pit" as a woodscrap subforum or something.

If they expect people to stop complaining they should first make things work before they are added to the game.

Missions have been added many months ago and do still not work, and they expect us to keep quiet about it? Fix it and we don't have to complain. I pay several 100 euros a year to play this game and if i can't even complain about broken things that have been bugged for way to long then the staff is doing something wrong and not us, the complaining players.

Last euros you're seeing from me. From now on i will just pay with in-game silver which i have enough of anyway.

Gud'day whykillme,

I believe, and I could be wrong, that we are now expected to be a wee bit more civilized in how we communicate our thoughts.

They are not saying we must stop complaining. They are saying, it is time to be more civilized and respectful of the feelings of other when we do have a legitimate complaint.

On line bullying or cyber bullying is rampant problem world wide because the trolls and griefers feel totally secure and protected via the anonymity of the internet to the extent that they have cast off the mantel of civilized behavior that one must use in everyday RL.

The runaway, cascade growth of cyber bulling has resulted in a number of teenagers choosing to take their own lives because they helpless and felt no one would understand their pain and take their complaint seriously.

These new rules also reflect soon to be forth coming legislated reactions occurring in many parliaments and congresses world wide, as the law maker start to listen to their constituents concerns.

Very soon game operators may be legally required to take steps to deter and stop cyber bullying or face stiff fines.

The proactiveness of these updated forum rules show that the operators of Wurm have been listening to the mature users who have grown weary of the constant stream of abuse and denigration of people that occurs regularly in the public chats and in the forums.

It also shows, to me at least, that the operators of Wurm (along with other games) understand that cyber bullying, if permitted to continue, will drive away paying customers.

I applaud their effort to bring some civility to the wonder experience that is Wurm.

In closing, I offer this thought...... "you catch more fly's with honey then vinegar".  Which means, being nice is always more rewarding then being a rude, ignorant thug or bully.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Kindest regards!

Hughmongus

• Like 2

"you catch more fly's with honey then vinegar". 

Nice post and I agree but they need to update that saying, entirely not true. I did a science fair on it back in the day. Also the interwebs will confirm flies like vinegar better.

Nice post and I agree but they need to update that saying, entirely not true. I did a science fair on it back in the day. Also the interwebs will confirm flies like vinegar better.

I vote we cut up elen into little pieces and see if flies like that even better than vinegar ;D

I wish you good luck with your efforts, but I don't have much hope for any improvement sadly.

Maybe you should look at changing the current in-game moderation (or lack of) policy as well. The vast majority of Wurm players have global chat toggled off and just stick with alliance chats, since the launch of global chat coincided with the decision to basically stop moderating in-game chats.

I know I am just an old fart, but I much prefer the old days in Wurm where the forum and the freedom chat was a much friendlier place to be.

• Like 5

Gud'day whykillme,

I believe, and I could be wrong, that we are now expected to be a wee bit more civilized in how we communicate our thoughts.

They are not saying we must stop complaining. They are saying, it is time to be more civilized and respectful of the feelings of other when we do have a legitimate complaint.

But that's the problem, they are not saying that. They are saying "anything that could defame or discredit, the staff, the game, the codeclubAB" which basically means saying anything that is not positive. That could be from insulting someone, but it could also be someone simply saying they dont like a decision made, or pointing out a flaw in -anything-

Knowing past forum moderations, in sometimes quite intense discussions, people have been banned no matter how civil their posts were, simply because everyone who posted got their behinds banned. (now even me posting this could be seen as defame and discredit, lol) Usually this was reverted quite quickly, but if forum actions are going to get linked to ingame characters, I can only hope that forum moderating will be done with more care than before.

• Like 3

wont this just confuse people even more on the diference between codes of conduct and enforceable rules?? i hope this doesnt get me banned,but looks like a bad idea to tell people that code of conduct = rules

• Like 1

In light of this update, if there is a push for more accountability on both sides of the conversation, maybe it is time to separate a staff user's personal account from their staff account?

I know this is a sore point for the volunteer staff as they don't want to maintain two accounts on the forums, but this enforced "no questioning" stance becomes dangerous to the non-staff members when we question what we think is a personal opinion vs a "staff" decision.  I'm not implying any of the current staff would do so, but there is a very real ability to "hide" behind the "staff tag" post-argument and say "Oh, that was said in an official capacity".

In-game, they have a broadcast ability that makes it clear when it is a statement from a staff position, they do not have have the same tools on the forum.

::edits to clarify my point(s)::

Edited by Hussars
  • Like 1

No more Klaa-funny-picture-posts?!  :(   cruel world... cruel world...

In my time on the forum (a looong while now) I have never really seen any severe cases of trolling (besides the wild/chaos/epic part, but that's part of the pvp-fun), most very obvious trolls get reported with the "report" button pretty soon usually not letting things escalate to far.

I just hope these rules/tools for staff members are used wisely on players. As you can see there is already some minor irony and sarcasm in some of the posted replies here ("hope I dont get banned for ths" etc...), but if you live by the rules 101% then they should get warned/banned, thats why I hope forum moderators and other staff will keep the healthy dose of right and wrong like they have atm.

But anyways, cant hurt that some players are pointed to these rules to, there are always some that slip in on the quiet times (mostly) on the forum (and gchat ingame) and abuse it sometimes to start a bit of flaming/trolling.

Edited by Lycanthropic

Does this relate to how topics are locked on the forums or the questioning of Wurm staff in general?  I.E. if a topic is locked, don't make a new topic to circumvent the lock, or does it mean I'm not allowed to question staff at all?  I.E. Shut up, give us your money and play ball?

Afaik you're not paying to use the forum, and he said that if you were unsatisfied, you could take your quarrel to the lead GM...

Hi,

isn't this great news?

Finally all these trolls, nay-sayers and negative people will get muted, we can now praise Rofl in peace, undisturbed! Yay!

Isn't this great news?

Finally all is well, bugs, shortcomings and failures have been declared as not-existent per "ordre du mufti". What a joy! No more bugs, shortcomings and failures - they don't exist anymore, Rofl has told us!

Isn't this great news?

We now can enjoy heavenly silence in the forums, nobody anymore will challenge our poor little brains. How pleasant this will be! Maybe we'll get some emoticons like smiling bees, pink unicorns or laughing cats - WE NEED LAUGHING CATZ!!!

Isn't this great news?

Well, for sure this will help to the success for the game. All these nasty negative ppl will just go, and will tell nobody about. All will be fine, and we'll all enjoy an endless spring morning in Wurm, with smiling bees, pink unicorns, and LAUGHING CATZ.

Isn't this great news?

It's just, maybe - OUCH! Why do you hurt me? OUCH! Don't do this, did I do anything wrong? OUCH! Nooooo! OUCH!   R.I.P.

Welcome to the brave new World of Wurm!

• Like 8

The things we do for change~

Edited by Nomadikhan

There is a gross over exaggeration and simplification of what is to be expected with these changes. There is a clear difference between disrespect and constructive criticism. Take a step back for a moment and ask yourselves if you really are part of the problem or part of the solution. Can you speak without using ANY curse words, can you speak without using ANY disrespectful or inflaming words or topics? If you aren't capable of this, one of two things will happen, punishment or you leaving. I understand the truth hurts sometimes.

To put it in a nutshell. If you can't talk to your own mother the way some of you talk on here, then it shouldn't be posted. Use that as a common sense guideline. That doesn't need a list choreographing your every word.

• Like 5

I can say everything I have posted on here to my mother who would have slapped me into next week for cussing in front of her.  However, I have had posts deleted (never warned) so that tells me I could have been banned not only from the forums but from the game.  Gee golly whiz Wally.  Guess this will be the end of alot of folks posting here and the beginning of folks posting elsewhere.  Guess that will make the forum mods job easy.  And the reputation much worse since noone will be deleting those posts.

• Like 1