Shads

Pop Goes The Server

seems it killed our sermon party for today :/

in worst time, 15 minutes before my preaching

• Like 1

seems it killed our sermon party for today :/

in worst time, 15 minutes before my preaching

always during sermons lol

I would like rolf to finally answer the question: Are the servers up for the job? as in are they physically good enough. because if its a software thing then something is seriously messed up. And if its because "there are too many" something or another.......well ...we've heard that already and there have been many changes which should reduce server load. I feel it might be time for a server upgrade or multiple server upgrades.

• Like 2

Today the XXXXXXX server was down for a couple of hours due to an operating system crash. Begrudgingly these things are out of our hands.

This seems to be the most common reason for a crash from what I remember :P

what happened... shads :P??

Edited by Theflash

Just saw that and came to post about it here :).

OS problems eh?....odd. Goes without saying he's probably got a Server OS (there are such things designed so this does not happen, and for speed and simplicity). So yeah weird.

Just saw that and came to post about it here :).

OS problems eh?....odd. Goes without saying he's probably got a Server OS (there are such things designed so this does not happen, and for speed and simplicity). So yeah weird.

It's Rolf... planning and him do not go together, nothing goes smoothly with Rolf involved :P

If the operating system is crashing more than likely it is due to a bad primary hard drive, not software. Especially if it has happened more than once in a short bit. Replacing the drive would remove that factor. I'd hope they would would use a nice utility to check the health of the primary drive that the OS is on. In an ideal world the server would be running a RAID array so when one drive fails another would already be taking up the slack until a new drive could be hot swapped in. Essentially poor planning on the data center's part or whoever configured that server from a hardware prospective. It serves an important role and it is worth the extra dough to use proper RAID procedures as well as drives meant to withstand the kind of demands and stability such a class of server like Wurm needs. No disrespect, but this is getting old. You'd think with the premium price hike we would be getting proper hardware in place instead of funky pretty artwork.

Edited by LouisC

Seems like patch on Thursday, Indy crashes on Saturday. Would the Devs please do patches on Tuesday so it crashes on Thursday when some Dev is around ?

I hope there will be nothing like rollback, not even small or partial one.

I turned one boat into rare and friend raised faith to 100.00 and I hope we will not lost <<< this

Edited by Zakerak
  • Like 2

I hope there will be nothing like rollback, not even small or partial one.

I turned one boat into rare and friend raised faith to 100.00 and I hope we will not lost <<< this

I had just finished my new farm and fenced it in... If there's a rollback I'm gonna be annoyed.

If the operating system is crashing more than likely it is due to a bad primary hard drive, not software. Especially if it has happened more than once in a short bit. Replacing the drive would remove that factor. I'd hope they would would use a nice utility to check the health of the primary drive that the OS is on. In an ideal world the server would be running a RAID array so when one drive fails another would already be taking up the slack until a new drive could be hot swapped in. Essentially poor planning on the data center's part or whoever configured that server from a hardware prospective. It serves an important role and it is worth the extra dough to use proper RAID procedures as well as drives meant to withstand the kind of demands and stability such a class of server like Wurm needs. No disrespect, but this is getting old. You'd think with the premium price hike we would be getting proper hardware in place instead of funky pretty artwork.

Rolf outsources some of the servers apparently ,which we found out from the bashur incident. As we hit the limit (for concurrect users/msg per min/something like that you know what i mean. But that was for something minor, web server or something. The servers which hold the maps:indy and so on,as i understand it/heard are controlled by rolf and owns and even might be in his house or something. About Raid and the price hike, sounds sensible yeah :\. I haven't looked much in to OS crashes as i've never had a problem with OSes. But if the primary hard drive was full with other junk from the server and things being loaded onto and from that HD, cause the OS too fail as it (the HD) cannot meet with the size (as in its nearly full) and data transfer requirements (as in can't handle all the things being loaded and saved onto it while running the OS off it).

Edited by Blob

I think what annoys me the most is the usual lack of official acknowledgement.  Occasionally Rolf posts after they're back up.  I would really like to see someone official saying something like Yes, the server is down...eta: Who knows but we're aware of it.  Or Yes, the server is down..eta: 5 minutes....eta: Couple hours....eta: It looks serious this time folks, suggest you attend that barbecue after all.  Something, anything.

• Like 3

I think what annoys me the most is the usual lack of official acknowledgement.  Occasionally Rolf posts after they're back up.  I would really like to see someone official saying something like Yes, the server is down...eta: Who knows but we're aware of it.  Or Yes, the server is down..eta: 5 minutes....eta: Couple hours....eta: It looks serious this time folks, suggest you attend that barbecue after all.  Something, anything.

after 143 surely you've played wurm long enough to expect anything professional like this from the devs ;)

• Like 2

Oh i bet we get compensated with SB again tbh i'm sick of being given SB for crashes when you can gain this from logging off in a bed for a bit it just doesn't cut it anymore 

Yes I am hoping for no roll back... just started my priest this morning. BTW thank you for getting me all set up guys, great sermon meet up!!!

• Like 1

I would love to see some details regarding the actual servers. Basically are they rented VPNs, what OSes, specs, bandwidth, if he runs them from his house again what kind of setup are they on as well. I very much doubt hes running them from a home location due to the 100+ people that are usually on each server I'm not sure where he lives but chances are he doesn't have access to upload speeds that could handle that type of load.

after 143 surely you've played wurm long enough to expect anything professional like this from the devs ;)

Ok, you got me there. :)

• Like 1

Hey either way the servers would have to be restarted weekly servers arent made to stay up longer then a week if you havent noticed, isnt it better to get sb any ways? :P

Hey either way the servers would have to be restarted weekly servers arent made to stay up longer then a week if you havent noticed, isnt it better to get sb any ways? :P

Erm no SB does not make up for the constant server crashes anymore, Rolf needs to sort his shiz out and get the server back up!!! Prem time would be a nice way to say sorry

• Like 2

3 fing hours break from work to play and burn SB and instead nothing....and 30 extra mins of SB YaY!!!!