Sign in to follow this  
Sir Arowhun

[Lock] The Major Issue With Wurm

I know you guys wont like this idea because it involves removing everything you worked hard for to this point, but imagine if this was done in a different game and think if it would be better than Wurm.

The one thing that I absolutely detest about Wurm, and the one thing that drives away a lot of players is the grind. The grind of Wurm can make it more like a life simulator than a game at times. For some people, it can help them to relax. However, this doesn't take away from the fact that its not fun to repeat the same actions with Wurm's clunky GUI in order to get decent levels in a skill. In order to have a few hours of fun, you have to spend countless hours not having fun. People often congratulate others for gaining a high level in a skill, but there really wasn't much skill on the players part to get to that point. The only thing the player has is the patience to do the same thing over and over again, and the amount of free time to grind up that high. In PvP, the people who have the best fighting accounts are simply the people who grindded the most or the people that bought an expensive account from someone else. Grinding is the central feature of this "game", but it doesn't have to be.

Imagine what it would be like if the effectiveness of every action was determined by player input. Remove the boring and overly-long timers and replace them with actions done physically by the player. It could be sort of like a minigame, but nothing like puzzle pirates. The minigames should directly correlate with each action that is being done. For instance, when digging you would first press a button to push your shovel in the dirt, then pull the shovel out, then turn and dump the dirt in a pile or in a cart. As players play a bit more, they could get better at the minigames, which would be the replacement for skill levels. Raw materials like rock, dirt, and wood shouldn't have a quality, because dirt is dirt no matter how "skilled" the digger was that gathered it. Basic actions like digging and mining shouldn't be that hard to master, but more complicated skills like smithing and fighting should require a lot of player input. Smithing would be a lot more fun to practice if it involved hammering out each thing and designing how it will look in the process. Producing stronger metals to smith with would require mining ore and then smelting it in a bloomery, and could be determined by how good of a job the smelter did. Fighting would be a lot more fun if instead of being  based off of skills, it was all based off of a complicated system of fighting moves that check and balance with each other. Players would end up practicing by sparing each other and getting the moves right instead of running out to kill 9001 randomly wandering mobs. I know of a game that does this (for PvP only), and it works in exactly the way I described.

This would be a massive change to this game, but it would make it the perfect sandbox MMO. No other company could produce anything better. I think that this is the most you can strive for.

If this was added, it would have to be on a different server entirely, and the older ones should be left alone for people who like the current playstyle.

Edited by Sir Arowhun
  • Like 1

I like this idea, and I agree that Wurm competes with korean/chinese/japanese grinders to see who can make its players grind more.

But I know that this will never happen.

+1

PS: -1 storm incoming.

Edited by Alec
  • Like 2

You have some interesting ideas that could be used in a sandbox mmo, however, if it was applied to Wurm then the whole concept of the game would be destroyed and with it would go the enjoyment of the vast majority of players who are loyal to the game.

• Like 1

You have some interesting ideas that could be used in a sandbox mmo, however, if it was applied to Wurm then the whole concept of the game would be destroyed and with it would go the enjoyment of the vast majority of players who are loyal to the game.

Yeah I know that. But as an idea, I think this is better than Wurm.

Did someone log into your forum account again?

Nope

Edited by Sir Arowhun

You totally lost my attention/interest at no ql for mats.

From a "reality" standpoint, there is quite a difference in dirt qualities, wood qualities, etc. You're wrong in your assumption that "dirt is dirt".

As for your mini-game idea.... no thanks. I remember giving run escape a stab and the thing that annoyed me most were those macro check mini-games every 5 minutes. You want to play mini-games all day? They have plenty. Have fun.

All around, a big, fat -1 from me.

I know your not a GM anymore, but I don't think that gives you the right to talk about things...

And no, no one has taken over my account.

I was never a GM, and I resent the fact that you insinuate I am disclosing some kind of privileged information.

You have used this as an excuse before (some "friend" logging into your account).

Ok, so you are suggesting removing skills from a skill based game after 10 years...good luck.

For the record I have never grinded a skill. Maybe on PvP you somewhat are forced to, but I think most people would rather grind than repeat motions 1 million times to build a defendable deed.

All this player interaction stuff,coupled with the complete sandbox is what i have dreamt of not to play but to program to make and i imagine other hobbyist who make games think similar and maybe even the pros.But thats what it is ,a dream, its largely impossible.Some games get close these days but there is always better i promise you. And the killer, it would likely not even make it big, not "mainstream" and so not be able to pay or get the funding in the first place to make it. And i don't mean your idea in particular but those sorts of things imo. And if its half baked effort then its just bad.

As for grinding i like it i find it fun,relaxing and sometimes exciting. Not everyone hates it. Doesn't mean i like to grind all day, but you can get in a rhythm and its nice, just nice. Which is why i play wurm (not cause of grinding), because its nice,just nice and the people are nice ,just nice. Can't put it a different way.

As for your minigames idea. They would get boring and wear your hand out real fast. In response too "oh but it won't be bad like that we can do:....." see my first paragraph. Perfection is impossible.

Sorry if i misunderstood, sorry if ive gone off a bit, sorry if im a idiot cause i am a bit hehe :)

Edited by Blob
  • Like 2

well my friend, your idea is great, i know that mortal online has the pvp stuff, i know some anime "Sword art online" that has the crafting concept you speak

but again, i spend 250 hours grinding fine carpentry to master the job, and i enjoyed doing that, before that i spend weeks or month on grinding blacksmithing, carpentry, mining, natural substances and other skills to levels between 50 and 95

and once again, that is what personally attracts me to wurm, i love to grind skills to mastery level, and that`s why i play wurm online

so -1 for u my friend

if i wanted what u suggest i`d have played mortal online or other games "player aptitude based"

When I play wurm I just wanna relax, with all the actions and clicks your talking about I may as well just plug up the kinect and act it all out.  I think the ui is being redone so maybe it wont be as clunky.  

This is by Sir Arowhun. Why did I even bother reading? >.>

• Like 6

Hey I know, lets rewrite the entire game and change fundamental gameplay 180 degrees....

However it is all in all an interesting concept for a NEW game.

Maybe his full idea has problems, but he is correct that "the grind" is one of the biggest things that drives players away.  Rolf is busy now trying to keep them those first 5 hours so they learn to understand the game before they quit.  His next problem will be getting them to stay after 2 months when they realize just how hard the grind is.  Let's all be honest, we may like it, but we are a niche minority worldwide, and you don't make lots of money catering to a very small group of people.  If Rolf ever wants to see this game go more mainstream and really become profitable the game will have to become much easier to master.  And even though that may drive some of his old current players, it would most likely attract many times more to take their place.

Maybe his full idea has problems, but he is correct that "the grind" is one of the biggest things that drives players away.  Rolf is busy now trying to keep them those first 5 hours so they learn to understand the game before they quit.  His next problem will be getting them to stay after 2 months when they realize just how hard the grind is.  Let's all be honest, we may like it, but we are a niche minority worldwide, and you don't make lots of money catering to a very small group of people.  If Rolf ever wants to see this game go more mainstream and really become profitable the game will have to become much easier to master.  And even though that may drive some of his old current players, it would most likely attract many times more to take their place.

Yes let's make it appealing to lazy people and dispose of the old players who actually worked their butt off. Wonderful idea. Quantity over quality seems to be your motto. No thanks.

Yes let's make it appealing to lazy people and dispose of the old players who actually worked their butt off. Wonderful idea. Quantity over quality seems to be your motto. No thanks.

And there is the problem that keeps Rolf's numbers so low, folks like you and your attitude.

Edited by Vroomfondel

For me it doesnt matter if i have to grind instances fór month in some asian mmo just to get a chance for a nice weapon, or if i grind the skills in wurm. I also like wurm as a game where you have to work hard for equipment and structures. What actualy harms the fun for me is the terrible interface where you have to click your way through several text based interfaces (mostly without keybindings) just to shoot an action of improving. I find things like digging or mining are nice, but professions that require improving are just terrible.

Also the lack of ingame content in wurm is a big problem that has be worked on after the "5 hours" project. I cannot realy say how this should look like, maybe stuff like dragons and epic-like diety actions or sort of rift-like monster appearings, GM held events would help. But they are very controversial among the players. Another thing would be to design a large set of new skills and to implement a couple of them every now and then so people get something to grind on, that is not allready commonly known and mastered by hundreds of others.

Edited by Klinge

Might as well make a second game.

Filters out players who don't want to work to get their characters better.

Would probably quit if this was implemented.

Edited by watkins141

In korean/chinese/japanese grinders you have an instant reward system that the majority of grinder players love it.

To make things worse Wurm don't have that(the instant reward system), so of the minority that like grinding, Wurm players are a minority of that minority.

I just need to say it.

but professions that require improving are just terrible.

bind improve and repair and you are set?

What is clunky is creating a bulk of items, but that is being worked on.