Sign in to follow this  
Meyfei

Impalong For Inde!

Impalong for Inde!  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one

• Impalong for Inde!
    • No!
    • Impalong for those who do not wish to leave inde? Hosted by those from inde who do not wish to leave?

Not quite entitled to host the Christmas Impalong, it just happens to be whichever server is voted the most desirable for that specific year is all. If Independence is voted next year to host the Christmas Impalong then that is fine, I would hope there would be no complaining on that. If Celebration is chosen to host it then I really hope that the  Independence folk (including myself) don't complain it is such a long trip ;)

Of course I think that it would be great if each server had a shot at hosting the Christmas Impalong, but it is just where the dominoes fall is the way I see it.

I'm of the opinion that this whole Impalong thing should be settled. This whole "let's vote every year" is a bad idea. Too many complaints come with it. Too many feelings get hurt. And it'll be ongoing... year after year. Let's just cast one more vote in January for the Impalong crown to be passed over to whichever nominees. Then, like Willow, said new person will carry the torch and hold all future events at their place of choice, until they are ready to pass off the crown. The end.

Honestly, I don't think it should matter at all which server it's held. You have all year to get yourself there. The important part is who is holding it, and if they're capable. I cringe at the thought of a new, random person holding the event each year.

• Like 1

Yeah you do have a point, looking now at how long it has taken to sort out just where it will be for this year.

What faster is just let everyone hold it to find those who can and willing to hold it. Looking at all the impalongs this years, the ones who held found out it is way too much for em to handle.

I'm preparing an area and resources for an impalong, not sure if anyone else is I just figured it would be a fun village thing to do so my town is getting a place and resources ready.

The location is Sutherland shire 27x 32y, Just under Blackdog island for anyone who wants to drop by, I'm not 100% sure on the date but I think it will be running the majority of December. =)

Happy for any help or people to come too, it doesn't have to be the main one for Independence, just one spot for people to drop in and have fun and get items imped. =)

I'm preparing an area and resources for an impalong, not sure if anyone else is I just figured it would be a fun village thing to do so my town is getting a place and resources ready.

The location is Sutherland shire 27x 32y, Just under Blackdog island for anyone who wants to drop by, I'm not 100% sure on the date but I think it will be running the majority of December. =)

Happy for any help or people to come too, it doesn't have to be the main one for Independence, just one spot for people to drop in and have fun and get items imped. =)

Can I ask why you would detract attention (and attendance) from the official Impalong on Deli?

You've been around here long enough, Boston. You know this this is the community event of the year... why would you make plans to take interest away from that gathering? Kind of rude, no?

Lol, I'm a little scared of the direction in which the Impalong tradition will head if we host more than one at a time. In all honesty - At the Summer Fayre there was already a small portion of people who treated the impers poorly. I actually had a guy whining at me because I didn't imp his crap until it reached the lump requirement (I stopped at 70). This was probably because he'd gotten some sort of impression that we were all gathered in order to imp imp imp. He had completely missed the point of the event, that everyone was supposed to have a good time, and was completely convinced that this was just an opportunity to get free stuff.

It is my belief that if several impalongs are held at the same time this belief of it being an impingfest will be more justified. It's not supposed to be an impingfest, so let's not turn it into one. The improvement of items should just stay at being a sign of good will from the older players, an attempt to welcome the newer ones and to help the ones who can't improve their own items... The improving on its own should not be allowed to be the focal point, which I believe will happen if focus is removed from the Gathering part of the Impalong.

• Like 11

Even though i wanted the impalong to remain in inde, i can't agree on having two impalong events. I think having two impalong's will effect the turn out either for deli or inde and having a big turn out to an annual event is the key factor for it's success. Even if the event is held 6months apart, it seems to take away from the one special day each year that everyone looks forward to.

This thread seems to also disrespect the decision of the community. I understand that it feel out of place being out of inde but i say give it a chance first. unless it goes horribly wrong, i don't see the point in changing location from deli.

There have been multiple impalongs in the past at the same time as the main one, it didn't cause any issues then, it won't now either.  Those who want to travel will attend the big main one and the rest will attend their local one, if they attend at all.  Get over yourselves, everyone.

• Like 1

There have been multiple impalongs in the past at the same time as the main one, it didn't cause any issues then, it won't now either.  Those who want to travel will attend the big main one and the rest will attend their local one, if they attend at all.  Get over yourselves, everyone.

The thing about those Impalongs though were that they weren't part of an ongoing forum drama that kept pulling and pushing the players in different directions. They were friendly little gatherings following the same spirit as the main event - This isn't the case anymore. Seeing how this drama's been going on since January I'm not even sure that the main Impalong will have the same spirit anymore, but we'll have to try to make it work.

• Like 2

The real problem is it was always Willow's Impalong, and Willow will no longer be controlling the event.  Until someone shows they can handle the responsibility and pull off the impalong without a hitch, we don't have a clear leader for these events anymore.  That's why I'm pushing for a little anarchy here, so everyone tries and we see who does it best.

This whole thread seems counterproductive.  Anyone complaining about sailing to Deli should take a step back and look at things.  Why would anyone sail up to Indie when there's an impalong on Deli (the main impalong)?  "Tradition" hardly seems justifiable. 

This whole thread seems counterproductive.  Anyone complaining about sailing to Deli should take a step back and look at things.  Why would anyone sail up to Indie when there's an impalong on Deli (the main impalong)?  "Tradition" hardly seems justifiable. 

Well then, since it being held only on 1 server was a tradition, you should have no trouble if we change that and every server has it's own.  Like I said, let's see who pulls off the best one.

I would love to see this annual event held on the original Freedom server. 

• Like 2

I would love to see this annual event held on the original Freedom server. 

Seeing as Festival Cove has now sold, I don't see why nobody has thought of speaking to the new owner and organising the impalong there and preparing to hold it next year. 

Willow may not be doing it, but it'd be nice to have it back where it all started.

The thing about those Impalongs though were that they weren't part of an ongoing forum drama that kept pulling and pushing the players in different directions. They were friendly little gatherings following the same spirit as the main event - This isn't the case anymore. Seeing how this drama's been going on since January I'm not even sure that the main Impalong will have the same spirit anymore, but we'll have to try to make it work.

Things do change with time, "A new place, A new start ", But what about those on other servers that can not get to deli, are those that are against Boston or anyone else trying to help locals really willing to sail back and forth to pick ppl up. Maybe thats what we need are local impalongs working with the main one to make it enjoyable by all. I think if this is made to help people , then everyone needs to look at maybe a local Impalong as well as the main impalong leaders communicating and work together, rather than bash there idea's. Sutherland Shire is well known by all on Indi and would be  good spot for the Indi impalong. 

Thanks,

Shagsdevil

More or less the point is to try to bring the community together, which means people attempting to find ways to get to wherever the Impalong maybe held at the current time. This isn't bashing other Impalong ideas as you say, it is more stating why this would damage rather then solve.

Seeing as Festival Cove has now sold, I don't see why nobody has thought of speaking to the new owner and organising the impalong there and preparing to hold it next year.

Willow may not be doing it, but it'd be nice to have it back where it all started.

Just to get facts right, it did not start there. Its a long tradition and I believe it started on jkh.the first freedom impalong were somewhere else. Willow held it a few years in a row and probably the most successful.

• Like 1

More or less the point is to try to bring the community together, which means people attempting to find ways to get to wherever the Impalong maybe held at the current time. This isn't bashing other Impalong ideas as you say, it is more stating why this would damage rather then solve.

To bring comunity together we need some major solution on client level first. With 15 players in local on sermon party I have appreciable problems with FPS drop. For watching whole day on altar is 0-5 FPS ok, but for impalong it means unplayable.

Last impalong and summer fayre I had to give up. Walking 10 tiles destination 20 minutes and reloading client every 10 minutes is not my view of enjoying impalong.

I was on impalong and summer fayre before ver1.0 and it were great times. But last impalong was real disaster. I was happy when I managed to leave that area after hours on crashes and attempts of moving out on 0 FPS. Only slight improvements were done from that time.

Smaller local impalongs are partial solution, until client will be truely optimized for higher amount of players in local (what can means forever :/ )

• Like 1

Smaller local impalongs are partial solution, until client will be truely optimized for higher amount of players in local (what can means forever :/ )

I pointed this out in the thread when people suggested Deliverance since afaik it has a lower server capacity than Independence, but people hit me in the head and said that I was wrong. I don't know, I don't play on Deliverance so not sure how it would handle that many people in local at the same time, because the performance has admittedly (and thankfully) been improved a lot since the last impalong at Festival Cove.

I pointed this out in the thread when people suggested Deliverance since afaik it has a lower server capacity than Independence, but people hit me in the head and said that I was wrong. I don't know, I don't play on Deliverance so not sure how it would handle that many people in local at the same time, because the performance has admittedly (and thankfully) been improved a lot since the last impalong at Festival Cove.

Well server capacity is not related to FPS.

Server capacity is... server side, and I have seen 200+ players in deli before and I didnt feel any more lag than a regular day.

FPS is client side, and will affect only the things you have in local, it can be sort of mitigated by changing graphics quality, disabling weather, etc.

but server size and client FPS are two diferent subjects completely.

Well server capacity is not related to FPS.

Server capacity is... server side, and I have seen 200+ players in deli before and I didnt feel any more lag than a regular day.

FPS is client side, and will affect only the things you have in local, it can be sort of mitigated by changing graphics quality, disabling weather, etc.

but server size and client FPS are two diferent subjects completely.

It's funny how you jumped to the assumption that I was talking about FPS when I didn't mention FPS once. I am not talking about FPS. I am talking about lag and rendering issues. I did not have any FPS issues at the last Impalong since I had animations turned off and a computer with lots of RAM which made me stay unaffected by the memory leak bug, but I had lots of lag. I sailed over there in a knarr packed with people and the server kicked me out more times than I could count. The server was laggy, you were probably too busy with disconnecting due to memory leaks to notice though.

It's funny how you jumped to the assumption that I was talking about FPS when I didn't mention FPS once. I am not talking about FPS. I am talking about lag and rendering issues. I did not have any FPS issues at the last Impalong since I had animations turned off and a computer with lots of RAM which made me stay unaffected by the memory leak bug, but I had lots of lag. I sailed over there in a knarr packed with people and the server kicked me out more times than I could count. The server was laggy, you were probably too busy with disconnecting due to memory leaks to notice though.

Well, it wasnt my intention to "jump on you", but you were answering to a person that was concerned about the performance in local, so I asumed FPS and client optimization was a concern.

A server is a local part of Wurm though, which is what I based my reply on, and Deliverance is significantly smaller than Independence. FPS will of course also be an issue, and while it is partly client-side you can't deny the fact that the developers have a few things to say about it. Their performance bugs become our problems, so it's not all about "the right settings". Plus the fact that the fps issues experienced by players will affect the server. When people are constantly logging in and out to clear out fps issues it puts workload on the server.

But strictly server-wise: Has Wurm's performance improved enough for Deliverance to be able to handle the workload of hundreds of players performing actions simultaneously?