Sign in to follow this  
Elen

Have Ovens And Forges Generate Ash

I think both forges and ovens should generate ash proportional to how long they remain lit.

Something like 0.1 per 5 minutes would be nice, and especially nice if it would just be one item, growing in weight.

Ash ql could be linked to log, oven/forge/fire ql, and firemaking skill but tbh people would probably like this for concrete more.

Have a "clean" option via tool(shovel?) with the oven/forge/fire that uses a short timer to give you howevermuch ash should be given. (credit to Docterchese for this part in the original thread)

I posted this a while back and got good feedback up to dev level but its archived now so I can't mega-necro it.  

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/75119-have-forges-and-ovens-generate-ash/

Edited by Elen
  • Like 14

Could also show the ash in the forges item menu to watch it grow and give an idea of how long until your fire burns out :D

I always forget to examine, but if I had an indicator in my view constantly I would never go out mid imp lol

+11

Great idea will make leather production at least a bit easier than it is yet. And another realistic point so why not

+1 IF it isn't totally OP compared to Coal-making. Make it inline with the amount you get per log from coal-making ;)

+1, other fires in the game create ash, it only makes sense.

I would add that maybe Forge QL should have an effect on ash creation .. As a higher QL forger would burn hotter, and cleaner.

totalashweight = (initialweight / 0.5xForgequality)

so a 20QL forge gives 2kg ash from a 20kg log, 40QL forge would give 1kg ash forr 20kg log, and 80QL forge 0.5kg ash.

Edited by Nerisrath

I never realized that forge and oven didn't generate ash, guess I'm now too used to the wurmlogic.

+1

+1

Another idea: Putting a wood object in a fire's container would give some ash, after the wood item decays from dmg. This ash would be found inside the container.

We could make the numbers easy and say 0.10kg of ash for every 1.5kg of wood material used... as we already have with campfires.

• Like 3

Once upon a time this may have seemed silly; however, ash has a lot more function ingame now, so yes please!.

A great basic idea, and using a Shovel to remove it is a good idea, and even better because it doesn't take up item count inside the item. Please add.

+1

+1.  Whenever I need a lot of ash I always get the feeling Smokey the Bear is going to show up any minute to inform me that Only I Can Prevent Forest Fires.  :)

• Like 1

+1, but no ash in the forge after, I don't want it to take up space for items I'm imping.  Removing with a shovel would be fine.  I also don't want to see it that I MUST clean up the ash before adding more logs, that would be a bit too realistic, since I don't need the ash most of the time.