Sign in to follow this  
Sir Arowhun

Remove Pvp Server Playercount

Stealth, do you use it?

Cuz for that purpose we could expand the stealth mechanic.

Stealth is nice for sitting 3 hours waiting for some unlucky passerby.

A non existant local list is nice to avoid instant cat and mouse games and to provide allot more tension as you don't know when to hide in your minehop.

Every non pvper likes this idea, that should tell you how it owuld work out.

• Like 1

How would this limit PvP? You could also argue that the playercount being visible limits PvP, because it gives raiders a disadvantage so they might not even go in the first place sometimes. Every time you cross a server border with a group, there is a chance that someone wil notice it and you could get ganked by a knarr of enemies before you even realize that they are on to you, so people are less likeley to cross in the first place, so no PvP occurs.

Edited by Sir Arowhun

No offense but do you ever cross a server border? What experience do you have to back that up? I been pvping non stop for years.

Making pvp servers more like freedom servers is a horrible idea.

FYI, tons of pvp occurs just fine on Elevation, where there are actual pvpers. What game are you playing?

No offense but do you ever cross a server border? What experience do you have to back that up? I been pvping non stop for years.

Making pvp servers more like freedom servers is a horrible idea.

FYI, tons of pvp occurs just fine on Elevation, where there are actual pvpers. What game are you playing?

What does this have to do with Freedom? lol

I was with a raid on BLH a few weeks ago, and they figured out we were there pretty much instantly, and we noticed the server count jump as BLE sent a knar of people over. Instead of fighting people we decided to flee the server. I think thats a pretty good example of how this limits PvP.

Imagine what it would be like if people had alts that ran a program that constantly checked /who, and reported when a jump occurs. Its only a matter of time..

Edited by Sir Arowhun

We were on a fishing trip.

Also libila needs locate soul

And having an alt constantly Type /WHO would be a bot and against the rules.

Edited by Kagrenac

I was with a raid on BLH a few weeks ago, and they figured out we were there pretty much instantly, and we noticed the server count jump as BLE sent a knar of people over. Instead of fighting people we decided to flee the server. I think thats a pretty good example of how this limits PvP.

Highlighted your two key words here.  Raiding is not pvp, it's attacking a deed(s) and the best way to do this is when there are no players to defend.  People coming over to defend is PvP, by your own logic, knowing when you cross creates PvP.

• Like 1

Highlighted your two key words here.  Raiding is not pvp, it's attacking a deed(s) and the best way to do this is when there are no players to defend.  People coming over to defend is PvP, by your own logic, knowing when you cross creates PvP.

Not sure what this has to do with attacking deeds while villagers are offline. That's a totally different issue.

Stealth is nice for sitting 3 hours waiting for some unlucky passerby.

A non existant local list is nice to avoid instant cat and mouse games and to provide allot more tension as you don't know when to hide in your minehop.

Cuz for that purpose we could expand the stealth mechanic.

To not be something like a sightward while stealthing.

There seems to be a misunderstanding in the term of what we consider Wurm "pvp". PvP in Wurm is in my eyes: the griefing, the forum drama, the sieging and everything that comes in between. Afcoarse the small fighting part is one of the most fun parts, but those two minutes of adrenaline are not the entiritiety of "pvp" in my eyes. 

On the matter of coming to a deed without having any defenders to defend is entirely your style, method and preference, and has nothing to do with actual "raiding" itself. Though I have to admit that the gross of a "raid" is generally done when the defences are on their weakest, which isn't all that strange. Considering that defending a deed is far easier than sieging one. And whenever defenders outnumber the group of attackers the usual course of action is just to trashtalk, launch a volley of arrows and watch the raiders run.

But those issues are based on the mechanics that build the game and are not something easily fixed without some gross changes to mechanics.

Just generalize the /who, make it X amount of players on the epic cluster, i think its more interesting to have to communicate with home servers, to find out that raiders are there, sure, they could entirely avoid local, but that means they are doing their job right, getting in and getting what they want done undetected

+1

• Like 2

Why don't use something like Eve online use?

• Players in the last hour

Players in the last 24 hours

Players slain in the last hour

Players slain in the last 24 hours

+1

+1 seeing as most of the "pvp" that happends is when theres low player count on the server. Why make it easy for the chicken combat to continue. Make them have to pay attention to the area instead of watch the server stats.

I pvp nearly every day and I don't have any problems finding it, ever. Also I rarely find any of these guys +1 this horrible idea in the field, come out and off your deed guys its ok the waters fine, you'll find pvp if you aren't on a home server or sitting on your deed.

PvP has never been better in all my years of wurm to be perfectly honest.

+1 seeing as most of the "pvp" that happends is when theres low player count on the server. Why make it easy for the chicken combat to continue. Make them have to pay attention to the area instead of watch the server stats.

Thats a really good point. I've noticed that people like attacking when its late at night for most people, so not many will be on to defend. The /who thing makes it very easy to see how much resistance you will face. This is the sort of thing that prevents PvP in my opinion. Player vs player is more fun than player vs wall.

Thats a really good point. I've noticed that people like attacking when its late at night for most people, so not many will be on to defend. The /who thing makes it very easy to see how much resistance you will face. This is the sort of thing that prevents PvP in my opinion. Player vs player is more fun than player vs wall.

i think this is a hard point, a big part of raiding is tactics, raiding and pvp are two different things, when raiding you want minimal resistance so that you can get drain and loot fast and efficiently whereas pvp is more of an open field term, in which you meet people on more neutral ground and the objective is kills, however having said that i don't believe that you should be able to tell how many enemies are online by a simple command, as with any tactics work should be involved on the attackers side, how that is to be achieved is a different subject but imo not being able to just see a player count would go a long way to bringing people off deed and opening the game up for a wider variety of pvp encounters

just my 2 copper ;)

• Like 1

It should be removed because it just isn't a game mechanic that "feels" good. But it needs to be replaced with something, because the function is currently plays is an important one. I think putting a delay on the population tracking and creating some sort of default automated message half an hour after enemies cross into a server to alert you that at some point raiders crossed would be enough. I suppose people would just do speed raids in that case.

It really is an odd mechanic though, I'd like to see it replaced with a system that feels better gameplay wise, instead of spamming utility commands to gain an edge in PVP.

Or ban the people that want to abuse all these things plus server code to gain advantage.

I won't go to epic in its current state. PvP should be about outsmarting others in game through trickery and so on. Not just being a douche with IRL stats and server bugs etc.
On alot of other games, most of the people that "play" on PvP here would be banned from some of the complaints I've seen and things going on.

Edited by AlexLong

So you admit you don't pvp... If you haven't experienced it how can you judge? In case you didn't know pvp is largely about outsmarting others and trickery, happens everyday on elevation...  Yer opinion is based off what you "hear"...

No offense but none of you three who just posted are pvping, yer telling me its local list.... riiiight.

So you admit you don't pvp... If you haven't experienced it how can you judge? In case you didn't know pvp is largely about outsmarting others and trickery, happens everyday on elevation...  Yer opinion is based off what you "hear"... No offense but none of you three who just posted are pvping, yer telling me its local list.... riiiight.

so i don't pvp? So i didn't have 3 of your kingdom on me while i was out solo a few days ago, so i wasn't on death tabs fighting your kingdom very recently.... Of course.. I don't pvp, i even said pvp is based on tactics, which is in its basest form trickery and outsmarting the other team (like i did when i had 3 KoS on faster horses on my tail) please try and contribute something constructive in future, thanks :)