Sign in to follow this  
Sir Arowhun

Remove Pvp Server Playercount

Remove the ability to type /who on PvP servers to see how many players are online, because this can be used to see when raiding parties come over.

EDIT: Also remove the playercounts from the forums and from the server charts.

Edited by Sir Arowhun
  • Like 6

I don't like the idea of removing it wholesale from the game, because then people will just check the client or the forums. Or they'll check those one charts that show daily / hourly averages and whatnot. It just feels like there will always be a way around it and we may have to deal with it.

I don't like the idea of removing it wholesale from the game, because then people will just check the client or the forums. Or they'll check those one charts that show daily / hourly averages and whatnot. It just feels like there will always be a way around it and we may have to deal with it.

Remove those too.

A suggestion that is +1 worthy. Proud of you Arowhun, you have grown. :)

Just in case this magically gets implemented and we lose the ability to track player counts on the PvP servers...

I've been keeping track of the player populations on the PvP servers for the past two weeks. I've determined that we (PvPers) represent approximately ~30% of the active playerbase of Wurm. I was planning to keep records for a full month and then post the results in Town Square to put an end to the 'PvP is a small part of this game' arguement. And in case anyone is wondering these logs go back before the Bashur invasion so I'll be able to see what kind of influence he has had on the game.

Oh and also +1.

• Like 3

So people can hide more -1 to making home servers even more like freedom.

He is right, if you are unaware of raiding party what PvP fun becomes of that?

I agree. It's a stupid way of knowing if a raiding party is on the way. It's not in the game for that reason, it's to see how many people are online right now, not detection of raiding parties which is what it's mostly used for now.
+1

It's pretty obvious a raiding party doesn't want to be detected so they don't get pvp, so they can go raid or do a mission or whatever.

Letting them go undetected means no pvp if they stay out of everyone's local.

Problem for me is both sides have fairly equal merits. Exact numbers betray when a sizable group enter a server. On the other hand there's benefits even for regular players in tracking server populations.

So offhand here's a few possibilities:

• /who is either removed or made more generalized: 50+, 60+, etc.
  • Updates in tracking PvP server populations are delayed by 12-24 hours.
  • Applies to all locations players can read such info publically.
Edited by Klaa

I like the 1st of those ideas the best Klaa, and if I had to pick a second then I would choose the 3rd. The second one doesn't seem to be much a compromise to either side, it leans more to one side then the other.

I wouldn' say remove it completely... but make it like a graph that shows players online per hour with a 1 day delay. So we can still see how many players each server gets, but not how many are online at present time.

Edited by Dextrome

Nothing against you Arrow, but does it even bother you? The player count only helps the defenders and to be honest I havn't heard you been on an enemy server anyway.

Why don't use something like Eve online use?

• Players in the last hour
  • Players in the last 24 hours
  • Players slain in the last hour
  • Players slain in the last 24 hours
  • Like 2

Sure - let's have less information so people feel even less like ever going off deed...:(

Why don't use something like Eve online use?

• Players in the last hour

Players in the last 24 hours

Players slain in the last hour

Players slain in the last 24 hours

+1

Silly suggestion.

Edited by Moonpoppy

+1 to the eve one (generally all of eve's pvp mechanics are top notch)

I would go much further than this. Remove enemy players from the local list.

Yes that's right, make it possible for raiding parties to actually perform a raid and not get spotted by the first random person in local. (gives making watch towers a nice use) This way raiding parties can have a fun time, and actually perform jumps on people without them running into their local minehop to prevent getting hurt.

An even more extreme method would be to remove the entire local list altogether. So you don't know whetever friend or foe are nearby.

It would probably be a very interresting experience to see the local list removed for a month.

I would go much further than this. Remove enemy players from the local list.

Yes that's right, make it possible for raiding parties to actually perform a raid and not get spotted by the first random person in local. (gives making watch towers a nice use) This way raiding parties can have a fun time, and actually perform jumps on people without them running into their local minehop to prevent getting hurt.

An even more extreme method would be to remove the entire local list altogether. So you don't know whetever friend or foe are nearby.

It would probably be a very interresting experience to see the local list removed for a month.

Stealth, do you use it?

Cuz for that purpose we could expand the stealth mechanic.