Sign in to follow this  
Madscrills

Fishing Viability

I'm a very new player. 5 days old, I've leveled my plot, planted some crops and started to build out my house near a body of water. I'm curious, what kind of viability is there for someone who is considering building themselves a medium sized ship and setting out to become an angler? Can someone viably make decent income doing this? Is it an overly done profession? Is there any demand whatsoever? Would just like a little insight is all. For anyone curious I'm on a Pristine, a freedom server.

Edited by Madscrills

I've never heard of anyone selling fish, if that's what you mean. They decay pretty quickly, even in a barrel of water. And I never see meals for sale, so you can't make money there either.

1st: Welcome to Wurm :P

I don't like busting peoples bubbles, especially in a sand-box game were anything is possible, but I actually wanted to attempt this myself when I first started playing...

I was told, however, that it wouldn't work out.  The fish decay very rapidly, as Ellen said. It's impossible to sell the fish themselves, so really the only thing at that point would be to make meals and sell them, which I have never seen anyone really sell a meal (I doubt that would work at all, as they decay decently quick also)

And, usually fishing is done on a small ship, it's much easier to get around in the lakes with.

However - I know there are sharks, I haven't looked into them much myself, I don't know if these could be a viable option at all for selling. maybe someone else could give you info on them, I think however that there just used for meals to, and if that's the case, then that wouldn't help either.

Overall I believe fishing just isn't profitable at this stage of the game, maybe one day though, they will add something to it that would enable it to be - we can only hope!

Good luck out there mate, Hope you will find something fun :)

Welcome to Wurm:)   I am an avid kingfisher(90+)  I do it mostly because I enjoy it.  I find it great fun to catch up sharks, marlin  etc.  I have found it useful to share  the catch with friends and alliance members that are skilng hot food cooking or working on soul depth. Often time times they will do or make things for me in return. Favorite fishing boat?  Rowboat or sailboat. Easy to maneuver and see where you are going. I leave the big boats home more often than not.  Profit I have not found in a monetary sense but I would be very happy to hire out as a fisher for a day or 3. Good luck and have fun.

Edited by Chiqa

Lots of people dream of building a cozy little house by some water somewhere and then fishing and hoping that the fishing will be useful for something. I tried that, too, but in reality it's just not very useful at all. Like mentioned fish decay very very quickly even when all the decay-slowing techniques are applied, so there is no possibility of selling it to other players. Not to mention that nobody really has a need to buy fish or food for that matter.

I once tried creating a business by being a food supplier to villages/players that were either just starting out or haven't gotten their own chefs yet, but it went nowhere. There was no interest.

Fishing is a pretty good means to feed yourself until you have a good supply of crops and farm animals, but only once you actually level up fishing to the point where you can consistently catch heavy-weighing fish (I think around lvl 20 in fishing). And you get much better results fishing from a boat in deep water, but building that boat is a huge big chore, not really worth it unless you're actually planning to do something more useful with that boat than fishing.

I mean you can also use it at low levels for food, catch some fish and eat them raw, but you are much better off foraging for some things, growing a pumpkin or something to add weight and making prepared food.

if there only was a way to preserve fish in Wurm...

there are for sure like 5 suggestions about that in the suggestions board; i'd like it, even if the fish would have a weight loss of 50% on preserving.

• Like 2

there are for sure like 5 suggestions about that in the suggestions board; i'd like it, even if the fish would have a weight loss of 50% on preserving.

Yes! With salt or lye. You'd think the Swedish Devs would have jumped on that early on. Isn't lutfisk(sp?) cured in some potent chemical bath? :) And sun drying, too. Smoking fish, too... geez.

Wow, didn't expect such quick replies. Thank you all for your input. It is as I had figured though. Fishing didn't seem like a big money maker and I did notice that the fish I've caught so far decayed extremely rapidly. Looks like i'll need to find another niche until some further uses come into play. I wanna be able to make some cash at some point. (however far out that is)

I was trying to give away thousands of fish while I was grinding it. No one wanted any, even for free.

Magic chest ;) but that doesnt sound worth it with the costs  :D

If the fish could be stored like meat (cooked meat) then it could be sold. Cooked meat is commonly sold for people grinding the cooking skill and soul depth skill.

If only we could store it in an fsb. . .

• Like 1

I love my villagers who fish. They fish and I grind my cooking but for me it saves me on cooked meat for meals and I can sell the meat

Wow, didn't expect such quick replies. Thank you all for your input. It is as I had figured though. Fishing didn't seem like a big money maker and I did notice that the fish I've caught so far decayed extremely rapidly. Looks like i'll need to find another niche until some further uses come into play. I wanna be able to make some cash at some point. (however far out that is)

Just fyi, there are no real moneymakers in wurm. Everything's pretty much balanced / equally worthless :P

Going rate for 1000 actions is 1s. So you could sell 1k rock shards for 1s or 1k corn for 1s or stuff like that.

Or just go do jobs (digging/mining/filling pans) for other people and then they pay you.

Edited by Dextrome
  • Like 1

Just fyi, there are no real moneymakers in wurm. Everything's pretty much balanced / equally worthless :P

Going rate for 1000 actions is 1s. So you could sell 1k rock shards for 1s or 1k corn for 1s or stuff like that.

Or just go do jobs (digging/mining/filling pans) for other people and then they pay you.

Don't forget to mention that price only counts if you can deliver the items or services you're selling... I dug out about 3k dirt over the past few days and am only getting 1.5s for it because I can't move it for someone.... Not that I'd want to anyway, that's a LOT of dang dirt to haul.

Don't forget to mention that price only counts if you can deliver the items or services you're selling... I dug out about 3k dirt over the past few days and am only getting 1.5s for it because I can't move it for someone.... Not that I'd want to anyway, that's a LOT of dang dirt to haul.

Not true, most People are happy to pay extra for delivery. It is all negotiated between buyer and seller and I course some sellers / buyers will pay more or less depending on their situations. But generally delivery is extra.

Fishing in real life to me is a great release from the stresses of everyday responsibilities. I do the same thing in Wurm with fishing, I use it to get away from the everyday stresses of work in Wurm. I don't see any other use for it other than some real relaxing pleasure. Build a boat, get on the water, listen to it with the sound up. Listen to the bugs and birds, nothing better than fishing.

• Like 1

Not true, most People are happy to pay extra for delivery. It is all negotiated between buyer and seller and I course some sellers / buyers will pay more or less depending on their situations. But generally delivery is extra.

(Redacted)

Edited by maedscrills

So what you're saying is that if someone is buying 3k dirt off me for less than 3s EVEN if they have to come get it themselves then i'm getting ripped off?

So what you're saying is that if someone is buying 3k dirt off me for less than 3s EVEN if they have to come get it themselves then i'm getting ripped off?

Depends on many factors... supply/demand... how fast do you want to get rid of your dirt... how badly does the buyer want his dirt... etc.

With selling dirt you never can go wrong, it's a solid, mostly-allways-in-demand good. Actually i think wurm is the only online game i played where you can make a living by selling "dirt".

Same goes for basically all building materials like rock shards, stone bricks, planks, mortar etc. More rare ores like gold, silver and alike would probably also sell quite good - never have done that though.

Other than that, a specialization in a certain skill may give you a trading "niche". Try to figure out which kind of specialization is in demand and level up your skills accordingly. From my own experience though it seemed only blacksmithes really were able to make some good money. Or there are just so many of them and so few clothiers or leatherworkers that it appeared that way.

That's actually an interesting question; Is there a demand for a clothier or a leatherworker? Or a painter?

Animals and finished boats are another thing i have no clue about but might make money.

Edited by VentureCo