Sign in to follow this  
Madscrills

Sawhorse

I was thinking that it might be interesting, more immersive and a tad more tedious if you were required to build a sawhorse to create certain items. Possibly either having to make makeshift planks at first in order to erect a sawhorse to allow you to make regular planks. Or perhaps incorporating a sawhorse into the making of planks and other items that require sawing would increase the quality of the end product. Perhaps instead of a tool it could be a sort of carpentry station or bench. Just an idea I thought of in passing today. I mean have you ever tried to saw a plank without some sort of elevated surface? Let me know what you all think. Also, i'm like 5 days new to this game so if something like that already exists please don't beat me too hard.

Well, I guess the current idea is that we just saw our logs on the floor :P

• Like 1

Exactly! Have you ever tried that or seen it done? It's disastrous. With as much depth that this game goes into I hardly think a cutting surface for your boards is too far fetched, be it a sawhorse or carpentry bench of some sort.

Occasionally, though, you need to consider practicality above reality. In this case for example - planks are a fundamental part of the game. One of the first things new players need to do is build a house, or build a fence, or perhaps a bucket for carrying water around. Planks are such a commonly used and necessary part of the game that to add this extra step is just adding frustration really.

Not to mention that it's quite common to cut the planks wherever you have gone and felled some trees, before loading them up for transport. To do that now would mean constructing this sawhorse there and then leaving it behind, which is quite wasteful.

If it helps with the immersion, simply imagine that the saws in game are portable sawhorses :)

As for workbenches, I think that may be a part of some future overhaul already to deal with the current method of crafting being quite click-heavy.

-1 to the idea, but glad you're thinking about stuff :)

• Like 1

Not to mention that it's quite common to cut the planks wherever you have gone and felled some trees, before loading them up for transport. To do that now would mean constructing this sawhorse there and then leaving it behind, which is quite wasteful.

Where I do see your point in practicality and wastefulness I could point out that you have to make an anvil before being able to make nails to make your house. There are two versions of the anvil that serve two different purposes. One you can easily carry with you and another that you have to set down to use. The idea was merely a basis to start with. Any variation that stops me from wondering *what the hell am I cutting these boards on?" would be a viable solution. perhaps a saw pony if you will. Or a small sawhorse. One that doesn't weigh much, can be carried around and helps with immersion. But could also be placed on the ground to use.

The one issue I see with the idea of a sawhorse however is the fact that crafting relies on activating an object and using it with another. In this instance we're adding a third object to the mix. Unless the sawhorse were a container of sorts that you stored logs in and then used your saw in conjunction with the sawhorse I'm not sure how that would work. But then again you use lumps directly with the anvil. It's assumed you want to use a mallet on the hot metal I guess. I don't see why that couldn't be the case here.

Again, I see your point in saying it could add frustration but with the amount of other things that aren't forgone I don't see this as being that much more tedious. Besides it's one more thing for new players to build to help with that early carpentry skill that we all desperately need.

After reading your posts I still feel this would add an unnecessary addition to creation of Planks. There is no real reason to make it hard, it is very easy right now to create a large volume of Planks when needed, I don't feel that it really needs to be made harder at all. As it stands also, with high quality Logs and a good Saw you can already get high quality Planks, so I wouldn't see how adding this could give higher quality Planks when there is no more quality to give.

I will also add,as a counter to the idea that it should be made more realistic, I can think of 20 things off of the top of my head in Wurm that are far from realistic, from Unicorns to carrying a whole Fountain in your Backpack, so saying it would be more realistic would just be a weak argument. I'm not trying to bash you out for your idea, just trying to make you see why it may not be the best idea to add to the game.

My qualm is less about difficulty and realism and more about immersion. The point of an MMO like wurm is mainly to immerse you in a different world. Anything done that breaks that immersion is a flaw. Where you're correct that carrying a fountain with you is just as unrealistic (more so even) as sawing a log on the ground. The fact of the matter is there is a consequence to your carrying a whole fountain. Namely that you won't be able to move quickly at all, where sawing planks on the dirt incurs no penalty of it's own despite its unlikelihood. As I stated in a previous reply, perhaps ADDING a sawhorse isn't the end all to beat all answer. Perhaps you could be allowed to create planks without one but with a penalty. Such as carrying a fountain incurs it's own penalty. You're right, there are plenty of other "immersion breaking" things in the game but this is the main thing that has been breaking my immersion since I started playing wurm a week ago. Being a newb to the game I can say that I wouldn't have had a second thought about having to build a sawhorse before creating planks when the game makes me make shafts, and planks to make wheels to make a wheel axel to START making a cart. Everything seems to have an order of operations except this... Hell, why do we need an anvil anyway? Why not use one of the random rocks that appear out of nowhere on your plot after digging a bit? That should work just fine and makes as much sense and now having an object to saw planks on. If you see my point.