Sign in to follow this  
Suntzu

Declining Player Curve

First of all spend some money and do some advertising, it's time...

I have to ask, how much good did Gavin do for the game when he was given special treatment on his ban, how much good did Doughboy do for the game when he was given special treatment for his sound work that later threatened lawsuit?

Bashur is probably the saving grace.... NO.

Spend some money to promote your game and livelyhood, then profit.

Special treatment to players will never do it, only alienate the LOYAL, paying customers you already have. It seems like you take us for granted Rolf, like we are always gonna be here, that aint cool, even if it maybe true to some extent.

Spend some money bro, I offered to put together free advertising a few times but was brushed off.

Budget some money for advertising next year, it is time.

The game isn't going to go viral after all these years so it is time to do it the old fashoned way, with hard work and promotion.

• Like 20

This is not a bash Bashur thread, please don't start. Most people are brushing over the most troubling aspect which was Rolf admitting to the decling player base. That is the reason he even considered helping Bashur. Who cares about that we have seen that stuff happen over and over in Wurm.

The real issue is the declining playerbase.

So spend some money Rolf.

Edited by Suntzu

Nah lets get some "famous" youtuber in and give him special treatment. That'll do the trick.

• Like 1

The real issue is the declining playerbase.

Which has, ofc, nothing to do with the 60% raised price  a couple of month ago.

No one could have known that this would happen.

Edited by Void
  • Like 18

Maybe another price change would help?

A middle ground between the current and the old, perhaps.

• Like 2

Rolf finally admitted to a declining income curve...exactly what business persons who play told him would happen with a 60% increase in price. Many dropped extra alts that they paid for, downsized deeds, and converted to paying premium with in game coins instead of religiously purchasing using cash from the game shop. 

It would seem that one day it would become prudent to listen to those with a little experience in such matters and their consequences. 

+1 however for the long overdue recognition that income has decreased due to your increase. 

• Like 5

My company was down almost 2 million in sales last year, they added a 30 dollar surcharge to every order, dropped another million this year.

That cant be undone now though. He has to advertise and get new people to pay the new rate, old people are still pissed. lol

• Like 1

or lower the rate which gains new players, new alts and makes us old farts happy. just saying common sense n all.

• Like 1

When the responsibilities of payroll become a gnawing monthly burden, it leads people to do desperate things sometimes.  I understand why Rolf increased the price of the game though I think he made some mistakes.

When the responsibilities of payroll become a gnawing monthly burden, it leads people to do desperate things sometimes.  I don't really blame Rolf for helping Bashur help Wurm, though I think he made some mistakes.  

Get my point?

Rolf has more than himself and his family to think about now.  This love of his has grown and with it his responsibilities to others have greatly increased.

I think Rolf is like most small business owners.  He doesn't want to let anyone go from the company because that diminishes potential. He doesn't want to lose a single customer because that diminishes profit.

Rolf is trying his best to look out for the best interests of his company and his product FIRST.  This is quite typical of any person that wants to succeed, and he is going to make some mistakes!

It helps nobody when players in this forum treat him like dirt, badmouth every decision he makes, and over-analyze every word he speaks.  

I have been guilty of getting so frustrated at Rolf and this forum of players that I have said and done things I would have otherwise not have said and done.  

So has Rolf....  

So have YOU...

The pot is boiling now and there are way too many people in the kitchen.  I think we should stop all this bickering, flaming, disputing, and trolling and... 

1.  GIVE ROLF A BREAK AND SOME BREATHING ROOM TO REASSESS THIS SITUATION.

2.  LEARN TO LIVE WITH HIS DECISIONS AND PRAY HE DOESN'T THROW IN THE TOWEL AND PULL THE PLUG ON THE WHOLE THING!

Edited by Eyesgood
  • Like 15

2.  LEARN TO LIVE WITH HIS DECISIONS AND PRAY HE DOESN'T THROW IN THE TOWEL AND PULL THE PLUG ON THE WHOLE THING!

3. Offer advice to try and to help to improve the situation

• Like 1

Bah! Publish the game on steam and get the numbers up again.

• Like 5

When the responsibilities of payroll become a gnawing monthly burden, it leads people to do desperate things sometimes.  I understand why Rolf increased the price of the game though I think he made some mistakes.

When the responsibilities of payroll become a gnawing monthly burden, it leads people to do desperate things sometimes.  I don't really blame Rolf for helping Bashur help Wurm, though I think he made some mistakes.  

Get my point?

Rolf has more than himself and his family to think about now.  This love of his has grown and with it his responsibilities to others have greatly increased.

I think Rolf is like most small business owners.  He doesn't want to let anyone go from the company because that diminishes potential. He doesn't want to lose a single customer because that diminishes profit.

Rolf is trying his best to look out for the best interests of his company and his product FIRST.  This is quite typical of any person that wants to succeed, and he is going to make some mistakes!

It helps nobody when players in this forum treat him like dirt, badmouth every decision he makes, and over-analyze every word he speaks.  

I have been guilty of getting so frustrated at Rolf and this forum of players that I have said and done things I would have otherwise not have said and done.  

So has Rolf....  

So have YOU...

The pot is boiling now and there are way too many people in the kitchen.  I think we should stop all this bickering, flaming, disputing, and trolling and... 

I completely understand where you are coming from and I'm pretty sure most players (including myself) do not fully understand the circumstances Rolf is in, etc, etc... however, is there an excuse to make the same mistake multiple times?

The game has grown yet Rolf seems to be stuck in his old ways? He has put to much burden on himself and needs to share the load... However hard that maybe. Trust me I know...

• Like 3

How's about a discounted initial purchase of premium time to the old rate? As a one off deal.

• Like 1

Rolf has too much bad publicity on sites like MMORPG.com to fight this with a simple add campaign. He needs a good trailer with some shots of places like Castellum and some fight scenes coupled with some boats. He needs a full length development plan with a timeline, and he needs everyone who currently plays to go on a word of mouth campaign.

Lastly and most importantly sombody needs to create a real quality strategy guide (dummy proof) on how to survive initially, hunt, make stuff, and build your own home in that order.

Lastly Lastly the established players need to be less critical and rude to new players who don't know jack squat when they ask dumb questions in chat. They are new players. OF COURSE THEY WILL ASK DUMB QUESTIONS....

• Like 6

Bah! Publish the game on steam and get the numbers up again.

Rolf would lose 30% of his profits if he did that.

I recommend to Rolf to make a kickass trailer, and start making ads through Google, Bing, or whatever.

I remember a while back that Notch said "he is against advertising", but he was also "against dragons", and look what happened. (dragons were added and there is a thread about it once a month were people are arguing :D)

Edited by Sir Arowhun

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by KaiH, December 7, 2013 - OT
Hidden by KaiH, December 7, 2013 - OT

Boring

Maybe full price for the first paying character on your email and a discounted price for the other 4 allowed on your email. That's from the shop in game silver price to remain the same.

Before price hike I ran 2 on deli and 3 on pristine, Hubby ran 3 on deli and 2 on pristine. After Price hike we each run one on each server. so that was a loss of incoming from 10 accounts down to 4.

I also used to pick up monthly time and silver at the same time so I could pay for my deeds. I now pick up time only and pay for my deeds with in game silver mainly.

This might convince some of us die hard folks to pick back up a retired alt or two.

• Like 1

Ad agencies do exist, despite the expertise of the playerbase.

Every single succesful product is marketed and promoted why do you think advertising is such big business, it works.

Get a loan from Notch and buy a superbowl ad.

Thought this topic would be serious :/