Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Special Treatments

Many people, including long term loyal players have been requesting name changes and having them declined by GMs, being told it's impossible and bad for the game. Someone new coming to the game and having these rules bent for them is a complete show of disrespect towards whole playerbase.

You have also effectively removed the Ianrose account from the game, which is a shame because I know he was a popular player. Even though he no longer plays, for the people that knew and played with and against him, it's a shame to see it disappear entirely. One of the big aspects of Wurm is leaving your mark. Well, part of his has just been removed.

• Like 7

I guess it's the OMG part. Yes that was unprofessional. If you want me to be professional I can open an Item Mall and turn this game into Pay To Win because that's what they do.

Please do, Also,

Was that meant to be a threat?

Well the only person able to make he decision to make a name change made that call. And for a good reason. its really nobody elses business.  It doesnt affect anyone thats not involved accept to cry that you didnt get special treatment too.

Bashur has been a great addition to worm and our community. I do not mind at all that an exception was made to him for all he has done. I have been sitting in my lil corner of Pristine for months watching deed after deed fall and all my neighbors leave. In just the very short time since all of the publicity he has given the game I am starting to get more neighbors again. Two of the four new Pristiners have come from his channel.

IMO questioning what a developer does to his own game is disrespectful. Play the game in the game not on the forums.

Hey now, I never expected Rolf (Notch or the rest of the staff for that matter) for a thing... like a clutch of red dragon eggs... a silver-trimmed knarr equipped like the ship from the last Sinbad movie... :ph34r:

• Like 1

I guess it's the OMG part. Yes that was unprofessional. If you want me to be professional I can open an Item Mall and turn this game into Pay To Win because that's what they do.

You should grab a nap and not post sounding all U mad bro ...

Ladies and Gentlemen. I know nothing about the history- if any- of Bashur et al. All I want to do is to enjoy this great game. To do so requires the format which is provided by the developers but it also requires the game population to create the interaction and interest. Surely more people lead to more income and more game development?

I would propose that we all just get back to enjoying Wurm and leave all of the hassle for real life.

• Like 1

OH and BTW...was he 'good for the game' when this was posted on OTHER websites?

Unfortunately we will not be playing @wurmonline any longer because of my wrongful banning. Serious shame, we had huge plans.

I purchased a whole year of premium of @wurmonline and was banned a day later. I'm sorry but I honestly can't support a game like that.

Read more: http://vortacvids.proboards.com/thread/4714/bashur-banned-wurm#ixzz2gtFGbbZ5

Yep that surely HELPED the reputation of wurm right?

If we let that account keep playing when being caught cheating it would be really rotten. And again - it was the Alexender account.

Yes professional would be a nice change for this game.  Doesn't mean say this is my ball and if you don't like it I'm taking it home with me.  But I guess that is how some see professional.  Oh well.  I do not see how him having one name over another makes any difference to who follows him into the game.  If they are here all because of what name he has then his following will leave as soon as he tires of the game or gets banned again.  Then all of this blow up over changing a name for one person will have been all for nothing.  But as others have said.  It is your game do what you will.  Nothing anyone says is going to change it anyway.

• Like 2

Guys he has 600,000 people that superscribe to his YouTube account that is a huge deal you don't understand. He also is on twitch regularly that is free advertising for the game on a regular basis one little name change is not going to make me upset at Rolf over that.  Well that is my view anyway.."for the greater good", lol

Sorry Rolf but c'mon grow up you're really going to do this in public?

I'm not trying to have digs at you or anything, I'm being polite. Don't humiliate yourself.

Nobody said to make wurm Pay To Win, least not that I've seen.

Hmm, unfortunately, I see much more drama on these forums concerning Bashur and his new toon.

it will be over soon i am guessing the pvp guys will drive him away unfortunately.

Honestly, whatever *Shrug* I'm not feeling cheated by Ianrose being renamed to Bashur if Bashur bought him in the least, but I do think there should be a LIST OF NAME CHANGES on the wiki, if this happens again. Then we can know why we never see Ianrose again, or someone makes a newb acc named him, and we know what happened to the account. 

Example:

Name Change List:

Ianrose > Bashur(2)

Bashur(1) > ?

Atleast this way we can know whos who and what happened. 

I find your response outright insulting, Rolf. Playerbase will know about it by word of mouth. What kind of attitude is that?

All that us "normal" players ever saw was that it was simply not possible, ever, because it's unbalancing, it's not done, for the sake of history, give it a twist. To then be told that "its probably good for the game and you heard about it from other players so we didn't feel like we shoulda told you" .. I don't even know what to say to that.

Don't try to shove it off as "allergic to special treatments", everyone hates favorism.

Don't want name changes, just want staff to treat everyone equally. Don't give people special treatments based on their youtube/twitter/pcgamer/royalty status, because you only give an unfair perspective to other players. And even if you feel it doesn't put him ahead of others, you are allowing them something which you have never, ever, despite many requests, have allowed anyone else, unless forced by the rules.

If the bashur account already existed and "plucking" the name off of it to transfer it onto a higher skilled account I find all the reasons I have read moot. I was told that the reasoning was for his fanbase to recognize him, but apperantly it wasnt. It was "because xxx wanted a high skill acount with his name, but didnt want to grind it". The name and account already existed and apperantly, whoever owned it, had no issue with the name being used by this person, so they might aswell simply have used said account now.

Hope this fella gets you a lot of new players and that he's worth you ticking so much of your older playerbase off for.

• Like 13

Rolf,

I know people who would have wanted to buy an account name, but haven't done it because they felt the name was not representing them.

I know people who paid more for an account, just because it has a decent name.

I know people who had to sell an account for less, just because it has a bad name.

I know people who got stucked on old or new cluster, just because they picked wrong after tutorial and didn't wanted to drop the name they used on all games since years.

Yet, we all accepted that rules are rules and that name changes are not possible in the game as is said in this official page:

1/ Character names cannot be changed , the name you are buying could have a bad reputation in the community , and you may have problems with ongoing interaction with some players because of it. These problems could also involve KOS on some deeds.

Do not enquire to a CM or GM as to this potential problem as they are not in position to advise you, so its player beware.

We were even told to not try bothering CMs or GMs since this won't be done.

Then here you come and tell us that we are all equals and that

"we don't handle those judgements differently based on fame or money, for which we are proud." (print screen attached at the bottom of the post for comformity).

Yet it looks some are more equal than others.

Now please allow me to quote from another official post of Oracle, from the GMs Hall:

Trust in our GM's is everything. If you have trust you will never be questioned. If you don't have it you can be dismissed with little to no reason. Losing trust is the only reason we need to give. The current GMs are here today because they have our trust and in many cases have had it for years. 

The system is trust based and no rules can cover all situations just give guidelines. Breaking that trust will lose them their position as a GM, and we hope that you are satisfied that we make such decisions. 

Any different system makes way for corruption and position abuse. 

You say this is not a game breaking thing and you are right. But is a favor he got and none of us did, although many of us carved for it.

It's something that shows that we are no longer equals, but some are privileged and some are not.

And I think it's only a matter of times since a new favor will be done, to Bashur or someone else. And then another one. And another one.

In juridic terms you have set a dangerous precedent.

We trusted you that you are not treating us "differently based on fame or money" (that's your words). You said you were proud of this and we were proud of you because of this.

Yet you break our trust... and now you want us to trust you and the team, but how could we still trust you, when you brake our trust in the first place?

/A very sad and disappointed player

• Like 6

Personally, I think Bashur should have been forced to keep Ianrose. A "new player" magically having every skill in the book gives a bad representation of the game's depth, especially as it'll seem like he's easily able to crap items and houses out. Also, as others have pointed out before, a decent fighter could have walked up to "Bashur" and attempted to kill him, only to get destroyed by him, somehow.

I think his name/s should be reverted, and he should be forced to use Ianrose. If he's live-streaming, it really isn't going to matter what name he uses.

It's better to be honest and show people you can't change names/etc in the game, unless the developer himself gives into your requests, which should never happen.

A name may seem a simple concept, but can you imagine what PvP would be like if 20 people got their names changed and went to raid? Nobody would know who was who, or who to kill, lol. As far as Freedom is concerned, there's a huge trust factor behind a name. Many people remember others for being helpful, or for being a thief, and people having the ability to change their name would make people more insecure about trading to others.

Anyway, whether or not Bashur is a good addition to Wurm is beyond the issue at hand. The issue here is the developer of the game giving someone access to a feature that is inaccessible to others in or out of the game, which is quite unfair any way you look at it.

• Like 16

Hmm, unfortunately, I see much more drama on these forums concerning Bashur and his new toon.

Exactly, its all just causing more and more drama and anger and bitching at one another. Now we even have the CREATOR of the game himself involved in it for Magranon's sake. I say we just drop it and see where it goes.

Wurm does NOT need to be P2W nor do any of us want that (at least, I sincerely hope not). That's not what wurm is about, nor the path it is on right now. And it should stay that way. Name changes aren't a huge deal, but its something that's never been in wurm before and shouldn't start now unless everyone gets access to it (which I don't advise)

100% with Xallo on this one.

Edited by whereami

Personally am not after a name change for others it would be great and they would appreciate it. The only thing that makes me cringe is the double standard. 

• Like 4

it will be over soon i am guessing the pvp guys will drive him away unfortunately.

Will we be banned if we do?

• Like 1

Yes but its not created by Bashur its being created by the butthurt vocal minority.

• Like 1

it could be said he was put ahead of all of us.

and now you get "hey i need a name change that guy sent me said you were good for it"

im sure you really love pvp rolf but really is it worth all this trying to get more people over there? just to pit them against eachother?

pve needs proper coding and lore and magic and all that good stuff, that would bring tons of people in lots more feeds and popularity

a easy mode pve cluster like epic for starting players would also help

An influx of new players, especially on the pvp servers, is exactly what this game needed.

Rolf also made mention of the fact that a name change would be given in an instance where the player is very positive for the game. I know some are saying "well, he's got a youtube acct and XX number of subscribers"... but how many, exactly, has this youtuber brought to the game?

From the way I see it, this guy has caused nothing but negative drama since his return. Town Square is filled with threads and posts pertaining to him: most of which are angry. He macroed at one point, so most people will always consider him a cheat....

Again, give me a number that will shed light towards looking at him in a positive manner. If he's brought 1/5 of the amount into the game as he's pissed off around here, then I will admit his presence (and the welcoming/favoritism he's received) is, in fact, just, because he is a positive aspect to the community. 

• Like 2

If we let that account keep playing when being caught cheating it would be really rotten. And again - it was the Alexender account.

WAS THE PERSON who called you crooked! Was the PERSON who told his minions that WURM WAS STEALING HIS MONEY! was the PERSON who posted such things on MANY MANY websites ABOUT YOU!

• Like 2

Guess this is professional also...Yer diggin a hole deeper and deeper with such scornful comments. 

As the main poster I will just say this, as someone who has played since February 2004, I am shocked and both insulted in a way.  I recall you once Rolf posted one best perks about Wurm was nothing was for sale, how you wouldn't sell skills, and favor others.  Sorry, but I like you, I just with you on IRC (YEAH), but the truth is your really bent over backwards and sold out to suck up to a YouTuber, and honestly.. to me you just pretty much look desperate.  I get premium accounts declining, but really, it's unfair to see how badly someone with tiny e-fame comes and peoples morales and judgement goes out the window for a video.  

You should change the name back, and stick to your guns.  Rules are rules.  Or I guess someone flashes a few bills and YouTube account and then they change?  

Edited by Postes
  • Like 13