Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Special Treatments

I like when you show that you're allergic to people receiving special treatments that put them ahead in games.

I do not consider renaming Ianrose to Bashur is putting him ahead in any way.

The reason for not allowing name changes in Wurm is twofold:

preventing bad accounts from hiding

preserving history

The reason for stepping out of line and giving a name change would be:

Being very positive for the game

Preventing a ban because someone used an offensive name which already happens.

You have to decide if any of this applies in this case. Apparently you do not agree about the being positive for the game part and this discussion surely destroys any positive possibilities. 

My reasoning is that there was no hiding and it should be only positive for the game. Ianrose was a clean account.
History is absolutely preserved. People will know about it as these threads show and word of mouth would have done the trick.

We will probably gain a lot more players thanks to this rename. At least this Bashur influx has levelled a falling curve which lead to firing personnel.

Sure, if you want us to offer you name changes we will. I just think it is a very bad idea in general.

In this case I looked at the best for the game and thought that changing Ianroses account to Bashur was good. I did not hide about doing it. It was done in front of lots of witnesses. I hoped that people would understand that it's better to have more players than a declining player curve but apparently some of you disagreed.

Furthermore

I reiterate: We never unbanned Bashur. That account was never banned.

This can not be done by any GM and is not possible to happen as far as I know: "I believe he was also converted from MR->JK->MR to get some stuff out of the bank. Which has got to be just as infuriating as a name change. " . 

Sincerely,

Rolf
  • Like 6

"We will probably gain a lot more players thanks to this rename. At least this Bashur influx has levelled a falling curve which lead to firing personnel."

But he could have made a new account named Bashur. I personally do now see how this rename would have helped anything :S

Sure, if you want us to offer you name changes we will. 

Yes, please. But have a Hall of Records page somewhere, perhaps the wiki, with all the previous incarnations of a toon. In order to preserve history. I love Debit and all but she could have a better name, sick of all the finance jokes :P

Never minded name changes personally; though, I did see the history tracking argument as persuasive in the past.

In fact I always viewed it as a potential moneysink, especially if enough was charged to offset the hassle.

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 1

An influx of new players, especially on the pvp servers, is exactly what this game needed.

• Like 1

Ahh so at last we admit to a 'falling curve'

How/where do we now request these name changes please. 

Edited by Emane
  • Like 1

"We will probably gain a lot more players thanks to this rename. At least this Bashur influx has levelled a falling curve which lead to firing personnel."

But he could have made a new account named Bashur. I personally do now see how this rename would have helped anything :S

Ehm, the name was already taken so there were two renames involved. One with the newbie Bashur account and the Ianrose account to Bashur. Please don't OMG over it.

When are you gonna take responsibility for the falling player curve and do something about it?

• Like 4

Ehm, the name was already taken so there were two renames involved. One with the newbie Bashur account and the Ianrose account to Bashur. Please don't OMG over it.

1) Treat customers with respect, I was respectful to you.

2) I personally don't believe I deserved to be spoken down to for my comment.

3) How would I know that there was already a "Bashur" char created?

• Like 1

I Totally agree with rolf this could be EXTREMLY positive change to wurm. So please stop crying about it.

• Like 1

1) Treat customers with respect, I was respectful to you.

2) I personally don't believe I deserved to be spoken down to for my comment.

3) How would I know that there was already a "Bashur" char created?

Sorry if I offended you. I did not know I was speaking down to you by quoting you and explaining what happened since you didn't know. I tried to be to the point.

I think he is trying to do something about it, but every effort he makes in any direction seems to upset everyone, it is like you do not want new players or new paying players. Eventually the game will die completely if he can not keep a new player influx going. This was an effort and all he gets is heat about it, when it really has no effect on you whatsoever.

People want name change, even though its silly just do what other games do charge about $30-$50 USD for a name change, and make the name change keep them attached to any KoS or Ignore list they are currently on.

Example you pay the premium fee for a name change on a blizard account, and all of the people that have you on their friends list see the new name, as well as people with the ignore list etc. This prevents "bad" accounts from hiding.

Edited by Narathkor
  • Like 2

Yea i am fine with it nothing that is going to change my game

• Like 1

I wish a name change in ref to 

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/60879-response-to-lies/

was clearly stated that GM's did not consider my actions griefing, yet one person still turned a few others against me with balatant lies calling me a 'griefer' publicly AND followed me to another server placing a KOS deed right beside me which was never developed ( and two years later still isnt) but claimed to have a 'valid reason' for keeping said deed, even tho NOTHING I ever did was griefing or against the rules in any way...Id even asked GM's prior to taking the action which I was then labeled a 'griefer' for taking...

THank You, Ill be awaiting your PM to get the new name from me.

Grankor

Edited by kazkid
  • Like 2

Personally I can't see how giving someone special treatment can in any way be good for any game, not just Wurm. It seems obvious to me that it will always cause resentment, anger, and a feeling of unfair treatment that will result in nothing good at all.

For any game to work it has to have a sense of a fair and level playing field. If the sense of that gets lost, for many it can become a deal breaker imo.

The principle at stake here goes a lot deeper than one person/name change and it already looks pretty ugly tbh.

• Like 8

I have a lot of respect for most of the Wurm staff I've encountered, and it's a wonderful game, that being said...

You're using Bashur as a PR stream essentially, so why are you changing the gaming experience he would normally encounter for those who join in his wake to be disappointed when they have to go through months of grinding?  Of course he's entitled to buy another character, but to change the name gives a false representation of the game I believe.

The best move at this point would be to remove any involvement from Bashur and allow him to play his game.  He's played before and claimed he liked it, if he's as effective of an advertising tool as you say, your game will get an increased player base on its own merit.  Judging by server numbers though, his affect has only been to cause dissension among current loyal players, and apparently even staff.

My 2 cents.

• Like 6

Deed name changes: 5s, 6mo cooldown.
Double that for a player seems fair. 10s and 1yr cooldown.

• Like 2

I am all for an influx of Wurm players, BUT from what I can see most of this has only caused a huge drama-fest in the form of griefing, harassment, and whining (it came from BOTH parties as far as I can see, Bashur fans and non-Bashur fans). THIS kind of thing is NOT good for ANY game, it never is. So the other thing we have to consider is how the current (and future) population is going to react to this.

I personally do not play on Epic, but its events and drama-festivals like this that reassure me I never will. (can only pray to Magranon that this doesn't move over to Freedom or Chaos, because I might quit if it does.)

Sorry if I offended you. I did not know I was speaking down to you by quoting you and explaining what happened since you didn't know. I tried to be to the point.

"Please don't OMG over it." Was not needed to get your point across.

I personally would be fine if all players are treated equally. As you said "Sure, if you want us to offer you name changes we will." maybe one free name change after the account is created should be allowed (like the old /transfer for religions) after that one change it should be paid for imo. Just don't allow the history of the names to be lost. I for one love seeing history in wurm.

Unbelievable. Glad to see the creator of this game feels so much respect for the old players that got him where it is today. Just sickening.

• Like 1

Well since we are on the topic, I have a couple accounts I wouldn't mind getting the names switched on ;). I bought the one account and made the other myself. Both have at least good reputations.

How can I proceed in doing the swap? I can publicly announce it so as to keep record on the forums as well

• Like 1

Would agree that letting everyone name changes will bring chaos.. not just about clean/unclean name but also things to consider like playerX is not welcomed in a village, and then with name change he go back to that village and ruins thing up. 

Still not so agree with the decision, it still special privilege regardless usefulness.. but my true reason behind the protest probably because I have been constantly seeing ninja decisions over the month that keep me thinking 'what rolf going to do next?'

I guess it's the OMG part. Yes that was unprofessional. If you want me to be professional I can open an Item Mall and turn this game into Pay To Win because that's what they do.

• Like 2

OH and BTW...was he 'good for the game' when this was posted on OTHER websites?

Unfortunately we will not be playing @wurmonline any longer because of my wrongful banning. Serious shame, we had huge plans.

I purchased a whole year of premium of @wurmonline and was banned a day later. I'm sorry but I honestly can't support a game like that.

Read more: http://vortacvids.proboards.com/thread/4714/bashur-banned-wurm#ixzz2gtFGbbZ5

Yep that surely HELPED the reputation of wurm right?

• Like 2