Sign in to follow this  
Bashur

Planning Our City, Could Us Some Advice.

Greetings! I'm currently trying to plan the city we're going to build out, and I could use some advice from veteran wurmians. I was wondering, what size do you think a city with... say, 50 people should be? I'm a little confused about how the deed stuff works, and I notice how expensive it can get. I'm just trying to figure this out before we thrown down the money for it.

Any tips for me before we toss down the token? We're also playing on the Epic server, so there -is- pvp.

Thanks!

-Bashur

P.S. Use some advice*

Edited by Bashur

Leave the token completely un-walled off, and make sure to have a roadway leading from your servers spawn straight to your token.

As well, don't build guard towers within a 50-tiles radius of your token, and remember, pallasaide walls are the BEST walls.

Oh also, don't lock anything. In the end it's overall not worth it.. So just leave your valuables on the road to your token.

Built many deeds in the past, this is the best way.

• Like 4

Leave the token completely un-walled off, and make sure to have a roadway leading from your servers spawn straight to your token.

As well, don't build guard towers within a 50-tiles radius of your token, and remember, pallasaide walls are the BEST walls.

Oh also, don't lock anything. In the end it's overall not worth it.. So just leave your valuables on the road to your token.

Thanks for the advice!

Edited by Bashur

i should take his advice with a course grain of salt tbh.

Well are you planning on doing this on the PvP servers? If not you can build off deed enclosures for farms and stuff and it be somewhat protected under the rules of the game on PvE servers. If you plan on doing this on the PvP servers then i don't know how they do things but i am guessing you would want things more secure there.

If you are wanting to really give it a go this time start a PvE deed and use a portal to get to epic or just sail over to chaos when you are ready. Make a deed and put a trader or two on it to start earning you an income to fund your war efforts and start learning the game some. Without a way to earn in-game money you are forced to pay for all that out of your pocket. I make around 2g a month and i have never even played on a PvP server but now i am in a spot where i could support a very large empire on one if i wanted to without ever paying a dime out of my own pocket. 

Edited by Kegan

If you believe these 50 or so people will be active, it's going to cost a pretty penny. I have owned a very large deed once that could easily fit 25 people (it said 120, but I like to have room) and it costed about 300$ ish dolors to place down, and upkeep was 24 silver a month.

I don't play on epic, so can't really help with advice for that, but some common-sense guide lines for myself would be to to find out where I'd be least-likely to run into enemies (don't sit close to the ocean, at least if it's near a enemy server)

I'd also suggest keeping a eye out (maybe use some of your villagers or make friends) that can keep a eye on enemy plans, just from reading the forum, I can tell you will be a target sooner or later. - don't tell anyone your deed location.

And some free advice, Numbers don't win a war in wurm, try to learn some of the pvp mechanics, and of course the crafting as well. You're gonna need it.

Good luck to you and all of your followers!

- Druid

Dirt walls, size 20 deed make farms off deed breed horses on deed pm me if you need any more advice gl with epic and building that army really hope it kicks off a d brings in more players.

You are on an uphill battle for sure. The first thing you need to do is secure your token and to do that you are going to need to have good locks for one. The more guards you can afford the better, building guard towers is a good way for free support at first to so build them as quick as you can. Use tall dirt walls or something so your attackers have to climb to get to you and use up their stamina. from what i have seen mine doors make good entrances at first because they can not lockpick them and your locks are going to be crap at first. (dont forget to support beam the walls of that mine entrance)

Edited by Kegan

... I'm a little confused about how the deed stuff works, and I notice how expensive it can get. I'm just trying to figure this out before we thrown down the money for it.

Any tips for me before we toss down the token? We're also playing on the Epic server, so there -is- pvp. ...

Here's my advise, that I have given other people in the past as well: Wait, wait and wait once more until you deed your place.

As new-ish characters you don't have the character skills to build high-ql defenses, walls, houses, etc. - thus your deed is easily catapulted, lockpicked or just straight bashed-in. Likewise, the players don't yet know what works and what not. All of that needs time. Take this time before you deed.

You're playing on an Epic homeserver, thus it's PvP-enabled, and thus the second advise I usually give to new-ish people fits as well: the most important skills to have on a PvP-server are social skills. With good social skills few people will explicitely target you, with good social skills the established players on that server will help you - and with good social skills they'll help you again to repair any damage that might have happened. Good social skills bring you friends - bad social skills bring you enemies. And for quite some time you'll not be able to deal with those...

Thus here is the secret: patience and good social skills. And somehow - in my personal opinion - it seems to me that patience and social skills aren't exactly your strong points. Better start improving on it. :)

Don't drop the deed until the defenses are done.

I also wouldn't drop it on bashur, people are going to swarm to it if you do.

If you are wanting to really give it a go this time start a PvE deed and use a portal to get to epic or just sail over to chaos when you are ready. 

Jesus christ, give it a rest. He's settled on Epic, and there's nothing wrong with that. People do it all the time with no problems!

Every single thread that mentions Bashur or any other player who's looking for a place to start is plagued by people whos advice is pretty much "Don't go to Epic, play on Freedom instead". Please stop, if Epic turns out not to be right for them, they can always move to Freedom afterwards. When people have stated they are interested in PvP, you're simply driving them from the game by persuading them to start on a server they have no primary interest in.

• Like 4

No offence Borken, but the epic lot do it quite often too ;)

Miss you!

Edited by Redd
  • Like 1

No offence Borken, but the epic lot do it quite often too ;)

Miss you!

Maybe we should all stop it then!  :D

I'm only 2 seconds away if I'm ever needed  :)  

• Like 1

He was complaining about the cost i was merely making a suggestion to start an economic game first to help pay for the deed. This is also the very first time i have mentioned to anyone to start on freedom is with this group because of all the animosity that they have been meet with. From the like to your post he has made makes it clear that he wants that uphill battle and i guess if he wants to pay for all that out of his pocket then so be it. 

Edited by Kegan

Well unlike Freedom, and in this case I actually don't mean any offense, there's a lot of pockets to go around. Given not everybody is gonna drop 10s into the deed each month, but the initial wave of prems and referrals should at least last them for some time

Jesus christ, give it a rest. He's settled on Epic, and there's nothing wrong with that. People do it all the time with no problems!

Every single thread that mentions Bashur or any other player who's looking for a place to start is plagued by people whos advice is pretty much "Don't go to Epic, play on Freedom instead". Please stop, if Epic turns out not to be right for them, they can always move to Freedom afterwards. When people have stated they are interested in PvP, you're simply driving them from the game by persuading them to start on a server they have no primary interest in.

I think it's more of an advice to learn the game in a safe environment before going to an environment where you are going to get raided, killed, and looted. Starting out on PvP as a completely new player not aware of the mechanics is simply really harsh, as you're likely to login to find the hard work you done was actually rather useless (wurm doesn't really use much common sense for most good defenses etc)

• Like 1

If this was a handful of new people, Id usually advise joining an already well-established deed at least till they were ready to slap down a token with minimal defenses. Especially when skills are upped to an ok level for PvP, and there's a better idea who will be sticking around for the long haul.

Size-wise its entirely up to the villagers and what they can afford in the long term, especially on a PvP server where you may be running max guards for a long time.

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Settlement

Defense-wise there is no perfect defense, nor should there be. In theory any offline defense merely buys time for defenders to login or arrive. Most typical layouts will include terraformed dirt walls with longhouses and walls along the top. There's quite a bit of variety in the possible layouts.

EDIT: One can still test the waters and learn the game in Epic without going Freedom, that was the original intent behind pvp Home servers.

Edited by Klaa

To keep costs to a minimum, you could always do what the goons used to do for their big towns and have a few barracks buildings with a bed and a chest inside. This will cut down how massive you would need your town to be to cater for everybody's house. Unfortunately this is less fun than building your own house. On PvP servers people tend to build a dirt wall of some kind and a long house on top of it as a perimeter defence, I can't remember what features Epic has to limit this, as it's a bit different on Freedom/Chaos iirc.

My advice would be get players to skill masonry asap, wooden houses can be destroyed very easily so it's advisable you make stone houses when you can.

You want to protect your token at all costs, one of the main objectives for raiding is to 'Drain' the enemies token, this will steal a % of your upkeep. From what is taken, 50% is given to the enemy and 50% vanishes or goes to the 'king'. Building a doughnut house around your token is what most people do.

When it comes to deed defences, (long houses/token houses) make sure they are 2 tiles wide, when attackers come to catapult they will damage all walls around a single tile - so a 1 tile wide would only require the enemy to destroy 1 wall, it will most likely be all walls on the tile will be destroyed (similar quality walls). If it's two tiles wide, you will force your enemy to destroy 2 tiles of walls. This is the expense of only building two extra walls, so the cost is worth it.

2 tile Tall dirt walls with long houses on top surrounding the place, maybe a deep mote the next tile over with 1 tile walkway coming in.

2x2 houses are sufficient space for people or yo ucan build barracks with beds and chests that people can lock on their own and workshops they can work out of.

Use all tiles you can inside your deed, dont waste space.

Build a U shaped house around the token, putting tall walls in the opening to block access. Not a bad idea to raise the token high into the air either on a big dirt platform with the house around it. If yall are being raided and your people are dying theyll respawn up there so keeping extra weapons and stuff up there for them to pick up and drop down to rejoin the fight, wouldnt be a bad idea. Last I recall you can build a guardtower over it as well. 

Guard towers, put them 50 tiles apart from eachother, plan these out just dont go throwing them around.

Gates everywhere are always good. Make it harder for people to get to your  token. 

Putting your mine under your deed isnt a bad idea either but reinforce your walls.

Make sure you get spirit templars.

Make sure you have people training masonry and always imping your walls/houses to highest quality you can.

Weaponsmithing is a tough grind. I suggest you have a very dedicated person who can sit for hours doing it.

Everyone should grind their digging and mining skills. Its good for the body.

Good luck hope any of that helps, Im not a pvper but those are somethings I do know.

• Like 2

There's a 3rd party tool called "Deedplanner" which allows you to plan your deed a lot better. There's even a 3d view option.

U-shaped houses are outdated; though, still have some utility. Complete donut houses were allowed again some time ago.

Towers can still be placed on deed, and even directly on the token. Aside from extra guards, the tower guards will even help enforce deed rules to a certain extent.

U-shaped houses are outdated; though, still have some utility. Complete donut houses were allowed again some time ago.

Nice didnt know doughnut houses were allowed in as a normal feature other then making them via that bugged method.

Yeah changed a couple of months ago.. can add/remove from plans as well now.. but a bit wonky to do it lol

the advices from Klaa, MetalDragon and Ruger are valid (yes, Donuthouses are better), i would do similar.

best to avoid straight routes towards the token, allways have a house of some kind (with access for all villagers) in the access points.

Just occurred to me I neglected to mention catapults; though, afaik the two best defenses there are deed borders that exceed the max range (50 tiles) or a completely enclosed island located far enough away from other land.

Much more common for people to just imp walls as high as possible, along with stockpiling construction materials. Vigilance is key.

Edited by Klaa