Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

News Update: Work And Progress. Week 40 Tuesday

Hello Wurmians, lets share some progress!

So far this week, the notification system is being tested and iterated.

Our notifications are meant to be subtle and to the point, hints triggered in the game when you are performing/ trying to perform actions for the first time.

Also when certain requirements are met like you become hungry or wounded.

They will all be available from a notifications library in game for later reference.

Decisions for the maps functionality.

To begin with, we are setting the limitation of the number of different map annotations you can have to 50 of each type.

And lastly some changes to skills and game fixes.

The weaponless fighting/ unarmed skill will now be set to 20 by default for all new characters.

A new fix for friends and support tabs so there is only one. It moves to/from event chat to its own window. This means that less memory is used.

As there was a rush of new players, we found some previously unknown limitations on the server side which we could then address.

Thats all for now!

Edited by RedBaron_Johan
  • Like 9

yay to the new notification system! thats exactly what fits to wurm and probably should even replace the tutorial in big parts as its more intuitive for players and better to remember this way instead of following a tutorial(even though it can still give some basic ideas of how the game works)

• Like 1

Weaponless fighting is now learned by default at skill level 20 by players.

What does this even mean? If I were to read it literally... I guess it means "players will learn the weaponless fighting skill by default at skill level 20"... but ehm, at skill level 20 of what? Just makes no sense lol :P

What does this even mean? If I were to read it literally... I guess it means "players will learn the weaponless fighting skill by default at skill level 20"... but ehm, at skill level 20 of what? Just makes no sense lol :P

unarmed fighting, I will edit that if it is unclear then ;)

Edited by RedBaron_Johan

unarmed fighting, I will edit that if it is unclear then ;)

But the skill is "weaponless fighting" in game, so you're going to confuse someone either way lol

"The weaponless fighting skill will now be set to 20 by default for all new characters" Wouldn't that make more sense?

Notification system sounds good, good job on trying to keep the players informed.

Edited by Shads

But the skill is "weaponless fighting" in game, so you're going to confuse someone either way lol

Hahaha true enough :P

Edit/ See now you have both! Everybody is happy... Probably not! ;)

Edited by RedBaron_Johan

EVERYNOOB WAS KUNG-FU FIGHTING! MOVIN' AS FAST AS LIGHTNING!

• Like 7

"The weaponless fighting skill will now be set to 20 by default for all new characters" Wouldn't that make more sense?

Ohhh, now I get it :P

Or just: "Players now start with 20 weaponless fighting" or something like "Players now get 20 weaponless fighting skill by default"

Edited by Dextrome

Weaponless fighting/ unarmed fighting, is now learned by default at skill level 20 by players.

old players too? or only new created players?

I'm guessing everybody, right? Otherwise it wouldn't be very fair ^_^ 

Newbs have 20 weaponless, my mains still sucks. Going by that I'd assume they're just going from new characters.

so instead of closing windows of opportunity where players have had unfair chances to gain skill they are now going out of their way to create them? Wurm is going down a very dark path.

• Like 1

[17:08:22] You hit Old angry brown bear very lightly in the right thigh and slap it.

[17:08:22] Weaponless fighting increased by 0,0120 to 9,434

nothing for old players ;)

Well I grinded towards 50 Weaponless for nothing :(

Wish I got  20 skill headstart >.>

[17:08:22] You hit Old angry brown bear very lightly in the right thigh and slap it.

[17:08:22] Weaponless fighting increased by 0,0120 to 9,434

nothing for old players  ;)

Wow... well that's just really unfair... :huh:  unfortunately not surprising, but very unfair  :blink:

Edited by Dextrome

Lol stop whinin folks, who cares about weaponless lol, in happy that they make wurm more easy for newbies, maybe a few will stay, thats most important to me imo.

• Like 2

Newbies this hardly appreciate and they do not know that such a thing exists. I think most people get bored with the lengthy,inaccurate and boring tutorials at the beginning.

Will the change to weaponless make a difference though? Even at 80+ overall fighting and pretty good body stats, I wouldn't want to fight much of the wildlife without a weapon or armor. So how is 20 unarmed going to make much of a difference for a 1fs newbie?

• Like 6

my weaponless is ridiculous and it does nothing that I can see.

• Like 1

Wow, I like this guy. Seems to be the first (and only) staff member that gives us some good information (and on a regular basis too).

Well it is for sure helpful when you died and have to go back to the critter that got you, without armor or weapons to regain your items.

Wow, I like this guy. Seems to be the first (and only) staff member that gives us some good information (and on a regular basis too).

It's part of his job description ;)

Giving newbies weaponless skill is beyond pointless. Without the stats to back it up they couldn't fend off a pig in unarmed combat.

I really hope the general idea of giving new players all the skills they need to play from the beginning doesn't spread. 

Edited by BrokenSanity

Lol stop whinin folks, who cares about weaponless lol, in happy that they make wurm more easy for newbies, maybe a few will stay, thats most important to me imo.

well who knows it maybe start with this

but we dont know where it end

what else is gonna change

are they gonna sit next to screen soon and press a key "Play"

sry but no

dont make it too easy

they maybe comes in saying: No this game aint for me, here is no challenge for me

I don't mind people getting 20 weaponless fighting from scratch, kinda makes sense to help them defend themselves a bit - however 20 weaponless fighting isn't a walk in the park for experienced players to get; I'd reccomend giving existing players with weaponless fighting skill some sort of boost similar to what happened to channeling at the religion fix, like it determines how much 'effort' 0-20 weaponless fighting is and gives you a similar boost at higher levels.

As others said however, weaponless fighting alone isn't going to help much; you would likely have far more success if you made the nodrop shortsword higher quality (like 50 or something) or gave new players 20fs (again some sort of 'reimbursement' for players with >20 already would be nice imo even if it amounted to 0,02fs at 70+ or something  :lol:  )

Edited by Gavin
  • Like 1