Sign in to follow this  
pd

I Traded In My Virtual Mining Skills For Rl Mining!

I played wurm since beta on a number of accounts.  My most recent account, Alistar, had 90+ mining when I sold it a couple months back.  I used the money to start my new adventure in real life mining!  Being out in the woods reminds me so much of wurm, although the bear encounters are much scarier!

IMG_0513.jpg

IMG_0656a.jpg

IMG_0688.jpgIMG_0728.jpg

IMG_0695.jpg

RL mining reminds me so much of Wurm!

There's a photo gallery of all my mining pics on my blog http://minerdon.blogspot.com/

My mining is at about 5 currently.  Getting to 90 mining skill in RL mining is going to be hard.  Also my RL prospecting skill is at about 8.  I need to get to at least 20 so I can find the gold easier!

Edit:

I forgot to add my facebook page!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Miner-Don/437711339659712

Edited by pd
  • Like 7

Awesome!! Is it a gold mine then? Wish I had one at my deed and you have one in real life :P

Awesome!! Is it a gold mine then? Wish I had one at my deed and you have one in real life :P

yeah it produced copper/gold/silver/tungsten in the 1890s.  It hasn't been worked commercially since then!  The mine is about 1.5 hours outside of Seattle, WA.

Nice. I sometimes go walking and it feels so much like Wurm. In fact, I'm an extremely good navigator IRL and I think I got it from navigating in Wurm lol. And people say games only teach you how to be violent :P

Edited by Docterchese

the bear encounters are much scarier!

Pics or it didn't happen!

This is a cool story to hear about and the place looks awesome man I wish ya best of luck in the real luck mining

Pics or it didn't happen!

They were both black bears I came across on forest service roads.  The most recent encounter was 2 weekends ago only a few hundred feet off my 20-acre mining claim.  In both cases my camera was in my backpack, and both times they ran off into the woods before I could get a photo.  Fortunately we don't have any of the larger brown/grizzly bears here in Washington State just the black bears.

I did get this photo though one day when I was very deep into the woods on an old forest service road.

IMG_0518.jpg

I don't know what these were.  They were not scared of me.  I don't believe they were any sort of domesticated dog because this spot is probably 10 miles deep into the forest.  I'm thinking these had to be adolescent coyotes or wolves.  We have mostly coyotes around here and very few wolves.  Looking at the pictures of each those they look more wolf-like to me, but i'm not sure.  I don't think we have any foxes in the area.  These little guys slowly approached me and after a minute or two they finally wandered off into the woods.

Fun times!

• Like 1

They had found him. The noisy one who kept making the annoying plinking sound deep in the cave at night. They began to plan the first, and final assault against the naked-one.. The coyotes just had to wait for ACME to ship their goods.. and then he'd be a goner.

Looks a stunning place to be and I look forward to when you can get a pic of a bear :) Hopefully not a champ for your sake!

Be careful when entering old mines. Even with oak. reinforcing beams they can be quite unstable and collapses can easily occur. Even with a full knowledge of the risks, it is easy to become trapped or injured.

Hah wow. Ive actually been to Seatle a number of times due to having family there, though we're usually on Bane bridge island which has some beautiful sights and animals. Those look like Coyotes to me, they have a much more pointed face compared to wolves, and i dont think they're big enough. I could be wrong of course :P

Like Senakal said, be careful when in mines, even the slightest brush or vibration can destabilize an equilibrium with the beams.

Edited by Redd

We don't have native oak trees in the mountains.  Mostly douglas fir, cedar, and hemlock in the forests.  Washington is nearly 100% evergreen (conifers) and almost no broad leaf trees in the deep woods.

There are 3 mine openings (adits).  They have been there for nearly 120 years at this point.  The opening pictured with the timbers is very unstable since it opens into glacial fill.  The other 2 adits though go directly into granite (tonalite) which is very solid.  In 120 years there is almost zero debris in the mines due to collapse.  I do, however, need to rebuild the entrance with the timbers because they are definitely going to fall down soon!

It's lots of fun!

• Like 1

undeeded mines collapse faster ^.^

You should screenshot all the special things you find there

There are times I wish I knew more of hard rock mining and tunneling.

Pretty much grew up with placer mining.

Fortunately the family claims didn't have old tunnels for a young curious child to go bumbling around in :P

Saw that first picture and knew it was the North Cascades! Beautiful area, I miss that side of the state...

is there any type of placer mining on your claim?  I live in Kent/Auburn area... gonna admit... just a bit jealous of your hobby!

wooooow nice! :D I am lucky to live in wurm with your account Alistar ;) These pics are amazing! Keep em coming!

Awesome - please post updates here when your claim comes through. I hope you make a nice living from your mine :)

Most definitely coyotes.  Keep posting pics and updating us on your adventure.  I love the outdoor life and love to see other people enjoy it as well.

You should call a priest to get him to reinforce your mine. And please post the conversation here. ^^

• Like 1

UBC-big-machine-farm.jpg

Make sure to get a 90ql supreme pickaxe irl somewhat like this. They're pretty expensive though.

• Like 1