Sign in to follow this  
Plisscken

Decay On Deed

What is the purpose of decay in Wurm? 

It sort of serves as a natural barrier to keep item count down on the server (depends on how much time you are willing to spend on repairing), as well as a way to remove abandoned or unused items.

Less items in an area = less data sent to all the players in the area and less items that needs to be processed by the client for visibility/rendering.

but the problem are mostly the undeeded forgotten items, deeds shouldnt decay as fast....my barrel vanished in a week after i had repaired it a few times and it had around 20ql, thats way too fast and Iam happy that my community projects bsbs are higher ql ....

nontheless before that decay update or bug fix it was too slow and now its too fast to be reasonable and what makes it even worse is that not all items have a decay texture.....

Well as things look right now lots of items could use some re-balancing on their decay times, I think it's the first time in a very long time that the polling for decay works as intended so now it would actually make sense to do it. 

I have been reading most threads about decay that followed the fixed so it's not a forgotten subject, I do intend to go over it once the first five hours stuff is finished.

• Like 4

That's good to hear ErikiN.   :)  I feel the increased rate on-deed is too high as well.  I used to be able to just make the rounds and check every little item once every week or two.  Now I'm feeling like I have to do it every day or two

I'm finding way more on-deed decay than before, in and outside houses, and it's getting kind of annoying. (and I'm not even going to get into outdoor flowerpots here).   Yesterday I even found my large water barrel had 20%+ damage and it's inside a finished house on a deed with 5 months upkeep paid.  That can't be right.

Edited by Amadee

The flowerpots really needs the have slower decay, I balanced them based on thinking the time set was real time and not because the poller was bugged, but with that bug fixed they vanish waaaay to quickly.
I intended them to have one tick / 2 real days not wurm days.

• Like 4

It sort of serves as a natural barrier to keep item count down on the server (depends on how much time you are willing to spend on repairing), as well as a way to remove abandoned or unused items.

Less items in an area = less data sent to all the players in the area and less items that needs to be processed by the client for visibility/rendering.

That's fine off deed but is it really needed on deed? I still think its a golden opportunity to start placing more value on giving people a incentive to buy a deed. I mean as I said before there are items that should never be no decay on deed like food/crops, logs, shards, ore, clay etc. Even on a inactive deed most of those players log on to check upkeep and repair so that just leaves deeds with people who have been gone for months that's actually going to lose any items and is that 1 coffin or chest they lose every few months really going make a huge difference? If it does then why cant there also be a check, if no citizen has logged in within 90 decays decay gets turned on?

This way there is a reward for having the deed and logging in. By no means am I a lazy person I have off deed stuff I repair, on deed stuff I repair and I go to neighbors that haven't been on in a while and repair their stuff sometimes also and will continue to do so no matter what. 

I think Eyesgood hit the nail, i´m fine with off deed decay, but on deed with enough upkeep, decay should be stoped.

Right now, i just need to make tons of alt chars just to protect some things from decay, example enchanted lumps, that i use for bs and metallurgy, they can´t be drooped into bsbs (the enchant puff) and if you leave it in the forge they vanish, same with dyes, leather armors used to grind lw, etc.

And if you happens to add decorations like fountains, wells, benches, statues, etc you need to constantly repair or loose it.

On top of that, items like armor/weapon stands can´t be used to safely store your gear, because if you for some reason forget to check the status you risk to loose your gear.

• Like 2

That's fine off deed but is it really needed on deed?

It is, deeded areas tend to have a higher item count then non deeded areas, since this is a sandbox mmo we don't have the luxury of controlling how many items are in an area. This is also one of the reasons for piles, it reduces the number of items we have to process on the client, it won't work for decorative items since they don't pile up.

It is, deeded areas tend to have a higher item count then non deeded areas, since this is a sandbox mmo we don't have the luxury of controlling how many items are in an area. This is also one of the reasons for piles, it reduces the number of items we have to process on the client, it won't work for decorative items since they don't pile up.

I understand where you are coming from, but making frequent repairs necessary is only going to make me imp everything on deed so high that I don't have to check every item daily. It won't make me reduce the number of items - in fact those items will just be around for much, much longer when my deeds disband.

• Like 1

+1 

I think a deed should offer some sort of reduced decay for items. At least containers.

At least containers.

+++ 1

We can´t store stuff more item-count-friendly than in BsBs and FsBs.

They simply shouldn´t decay ondeed as long as it is payed for it.

Its enough "fun" to repair and imp 300 pans that decays mostly unused, but to lose 2000 bricks because a bsb vanishes in the air would be unnessecary annyoing.

For BsB's and FsB's no decay on deed or a really really slow decay is a valid option I would say, will have to keep that in mind once I get the time to go over the decay properly.

• Like 1

Is there a limitation to the item database or is the database approaching a hard limit on the number of items?

When I started playing that was one of the benefits touted of placing a deed. Greatly reduced decay. Even my huge tubs to hold fish on deed on a slab must now be repaired every few days. There must be  a better way to balance things and protect the things on deed.

For BsB's and FsB's no decay on deed or a really really slow decay is a valid option I would say, will have to keep that in mind once I get the time to go over the decay properly.

How long to do we have to endure this accelerated decay rate until you get the time to go over decay properly?  

I have a few deeds and I am losing bsbs and all the items in them now.  Wouldn't it be more fair to the paying customers of Wurm to remove decay on deed until you get the time?

Edited by TBH

Wouldn't it be more fair to the paying customers of Wurm to remove decay on deed until you get the time?

If he does that amagine forum when he put decay back on again .)

In Salem MMO there was no decayf or people with money in their claim...

So no decay for people with >30 days worth of silver, or even 50 days would seem nice. Deeds must be hard to maintain if you have like 3 or so.

Edited by Bittereinder

I have a few deeds and I am losing bsbs and all the items in them now.  

Either its a bug or your BSB's are below 20QL.

I have minimal damage to all containers outside on my deed, but they are all 50+ QL. I repair like once every 6 months.

6 wurm months or real ones?
If it's real you might want to start looking at them more often now, they take decay damage more frequently now after a bug was fixed. Before it thought all items was inside houses and only had a random chance to take damage when polled.

Disabling decay while waiting for me to have time would probably just anger a lot of people once it's enabled again so I don't think that's an option, there is enough anger/frustration as it is.

We currently have no ETA for this update, still too many things that needs to be coded, not to mention tested  :P

The problem is it is random decay and it can be quite punishing at times. I have some BSB outside (ondeed) and they get massive hits. However, I am getting quite a bit of decay ondeed indoors as well. My biggest concerns is my wine barrels in the warehouse. 

The damage taken is not random.

Only if it takes damage or not is when inside houses.
The damage is calculated based on quality and materials. 

If an item misses a poll for some reason, it will however catch up in decay next time it's polled, for example if it's missed on poll it will take damage twice in one go.

I lost a pot of white dotted flower.. one of most rare item on wurm.. :X ... the flower pots should be at least improveable and repairable!

While we are on decay thingy.. Thanks for making decay for corpses fast enough they dont stick too long, but slow enough for me to cast rebirth on them :) .

I lost a pot of white dotted flower.. one of most rare item on wurm.. :X ... the flower pots should be at least improveable and repairable!

While we are on decay thingy.. Thanks for making decay for corpses fast enough they dont stick too long, but slow enough for me to cast rebirth on them :) .

You can repair them by watering them, activate a container with water and use it on the pots.

I was thinking decay on corpses was too fast now, but I might be wrong.

Decay on corpses seems to actually be close to perfect now imho.  They stick around long enough for those who may want to sell them for the 11 iron they give, but not too long to become an eyesore across the land.

You can repair them by watering them, activate a container with water and use it on the pots.

I was thinking decay on corpses was too fast now, but I might be wrong.

If you think it is too fast then I will be happy to say I want it to take longer to hit the 10 damage mark cause that is all I need to cast rebirth ;) ...