Sign in to follow this  
Kegan

Workbench

The Workbench:

tPnBvOE.jpg

Now i know this has been brought up in other threads but i think the good of it is getting lost in all the automation talk. No one is talking about taking it all the way to automation just adding things like a hopper so you don't have to move loads of items in and out of your inventory while also reducing the searching and clicking is what we need.  This is what i am suggesting here not anything to do with automation.

With the workbench you can just load it up with materials just like a bsb and you then select say "planks" from the drop down menu. Now with the right tool activated in your inventory just right click the workbench and select create in the menu. Now this new "create" action would also have its own key bind so you can just hit the key and queue up as many actions as you would be able to normally like with mining.  It will still use the same tools, timers, stamina and everything as before to calculate everything and when it makes the planks it drops the planks and the waste back into the same bin as the raw materials come from. All this does Is stops all the pointless loading, unloading of materials from your inventory along with all the searching and clicking to create bulk goods.  

The way it is now i have to stand at a bsb, drag shards to my inventory, select the amount i want to get out, click the pile in my inventory. select the item i want to create, wait for the items to be created ,put the bricks and shards back in the bsb and repeat a few hundred times to make even a small house. With the amount of bulk goods we are using up now we just need a better and more efficient way of doing this and that is what the workbench does.

Will it save time...sure. Not from the creation timers or anything but it does stop all the crap you have to do between and this is where you get your time savings. This is the stuff that drives me crazy i am fine with waiting for the queue/timers to run and stop for stamina breaks it is all the load/unload and click/find that i am trying to eliminate. Nothing here about automation just a better more efficient way to make bulk goods.

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 3

Love this idea!!! +1  Perhaps Ql. of bench could govern, how much material it could hold. I think a smithing unit should be added to this as well as a Tailoring. Make the creation of a bench require a certain skill level to create, say 25 or 30 in said skill (carp or smithing). As a side note the benches themselves would bring a well needed aesthetic, to our crafting areas.

I am fine with the ql of the workbench even effecting timers and ql output but i will just leave that up to the devs the main thing is it does not automate anything just takes out all the "bad" when making bulk items. 

Edited by Kegan

Great idea. 

Anything that reduces the strain on fingers/wrists is good!

awesome idea ! 

I think it is a good idea too.

The only things that i can think of as reasons people might argue against it is that it makes it easier to bot but it is no worse than mining and that does not seem to pose much trouble now. The other is the people saying that the bulk goods market would take a hit and yea to some extent this might be true but this is not taking any of the time out of creating the goods just the shuffling around of materials and all the clicks. It will still take time to make them just not as much of a pain to do it.

I am sure there will still be plenty of people that will be willing to buy their bulk goods still and lets be honest its not like there are loads of players making bulk goods as a form of making in-game money.   

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 1

I wouldn't mind a work bench I could place tools in and use like a tool belt with the gui ( which was the other version(s) )....but I dont think you should be clicking on "Bsb's" ( call it what ever you want. ) and making things from the materials stored in them.

Wurm is about taking items and working with them this is nothing more than trying to remove a step in getting a resource item or other items to make something.

To close to automation for me sorry -1

Edited by Protunia