Sign in to follow this  
xerx

Smithers' Guild Proposal

This thread is solely for the purpose of gathering all smiths in the New Freedom Servers to discuss and talk about prices of smithing products. The main reason for this is to preserve the smithing economy by coming up a consistent, uniform and fair prices for all smithing products. Please affirm if you are a smith and whether you like the idea or not.

• Like 1

I'm down for it, except everything is like this already. we all price match each other, If other smiths undercut that's there business.

Ya I like the idea, although it is hard to implement in a Free Market economy. I had tried to do a similar thing with a few Leather Workers on the Main Cluster, hoping it would expand into a bigger group of people, but it didn't quite work out.

pricing is already pretty static with uniform prices so i do not understand what you are proposing.

I do not see that uniform pricing is thorough implemented since most new smiths are simply giving their own prices totally undercutting the usual prices, and when one undercuts, so will the other also and the chain continues. So at least if a smithers' guild is existing with all its reliable members posted, people can easily find someone and contact for their needs. Also, this will also help to monitor prices and if someone undercuts, though its a free game, we can still try to encourage and persuade them to follow what is agreed. Well as i have said, this is just an idea. :)

I do not see that uniform pricing is thorough implemented since most new smiths are simply giving their own prices totally undercutting the usual prices, and when one undercuts, so will the other also and the chain continues. So at least if a smithers' guild is existing with all its reliable members posted, people can easily find someone and contact for their needs. Also, this will also help to monitor prices and if someone undercuts, though its a free game, we can still try to encourage and persuade them to follow what is agreed. Well as i have said, this is just an idea. :)

Well, Assuming the prices are not lower then the current market, throw my name down. I refuse to work for less, as most people should.

Price fixing ...... charge what you wish it is an open market. The more you need the coin the less you will sell for, the less you need the coin the higher the price. If you get someone that wants that item right that second they may or may not pay the premium. If they are willing to shop around and take their time asking several people then they will get a bargain. 

I trade a lot due to the fact of being in a place that ppl pass on a regular basis. I keep a variety of tools in stock, but my best ones go like hot cakes and my average stuff tends to haunt me forever. 

Any 'Guild' or group that is put together like this will be used as a power to force or coerce ppl into using a price set by others, if they disagree then they will kos'ed? /ignored? trolled? put on the 'do not trade with list'. I am dead set against such a thing. It is an open market, lets keep it like that.

Side note. When a single player wished access to my deed with the sole purpose of coercing another player into submission and thus was denied access. A trade group that he had put together were so hell bent on coercing that they forced half a dozen decent players out of the game. Before he then quit ... ... 

I suggest caution on such things and let a person charge what he/she wishes. without the 'Also, this will also help to monitor prices and if someone undercuts, though its a free game, we can still try to encourage and persuade them to follow what is agreed'

• Like 1

TL:DR

We want to bully and boss people so we can monopolise a market and set outrageous prices.

I would be completely open to this Idea myself

Granted my prices atm are mostly all way lower than the rest of the Blacksmiths out there

I would love to see the prices go down all across the board for smithing though :)

I think coercion is not a part of the strategy thats totally inhuman...as i said this is a free market and the term i used was encourage or persuade but not on the extent of coercing...however, being a "free" market as its name goes usually the cause of economic breakdown since anyone can simply priced things as they wished just to earn money...what usually happens is that, most smiths will forced to lower their prices too to be able to compete and sell their stuffs and defeats the purpose of their hard work...

I wouldn't mind a smith's social group, a place where we can talk about prices trade market leads and such, here are my current prices.

50ql 20c
60ql 30c
70ql 40c
80ql 50c

There are cheaper smiths around the corner from me, necro ;P but I still have a very healthy amount of customers, I sell more then I need to to stay alive. Now why do people pay slightly more to get my wares, you tell me.? lol

If I see your new "guild" badmouthing people for undercutting your prices, I am going to be so ashamed of you all.

I would never sign up to this in my own skills. If people value their time less or coin more, then that's their choice. I don't think it's hard to look at the market boards and see what others are charging if you want to avoid undercutting others yourself.

• Like 1

Wow, another "I'm not making enough money so let's blame that on everyone else" thread. <sarcasm> I never get sick of these </sarcasm>

Why not just, y'know, realise this is a sandbox game and let everyone do as they please?

• Like 1

The free market has the ability to regulate itself via four basic mechanics:
- supply increases, price goes down
- supply decrease, prices goes up
- demand increases, price goes up
- demand decreases, price goes down

Now let's presume someone severely undercuts the price; some will follow, but not all since not everyone will be willing to work for pennies, so the supply will decrease; more people will want / afford the items so the demand will increase. Since demand will be higher than supply, there won't be enough items for everyone so there will start to be waiting lists and eventually people will start overbidding each other to get the items they want faster. Ergo - the price will increase.

Same thing goes the other way around - if prices go too high then more people will find it a good business to make and sell those items so the supply will increase; less people will afford / be willing to spend so much on those items so the supply will decrease. Since demand will now be lower than supply, there will be more items produced than sold, so stocks will start to grow, and sellers will eventually have to cut down price so they start selling their stocks. Ergo - the price will decrease.

That's the beauty of free market - it regulates itself, doesn't need regulators and it will always find a point of equilibrium.

Edited by Sweety
  • Like 1