Sign in to follow this  
Rhoktar

Wood Plane And Brick Machine

I've seen people say that they would like a "repeat last action" hotkey - myself included.

I think a really cool option to try implementing this in a more immersive way would be to try designing one or two partial automation machines.

They should all have relatively high requirements to build, so that everyone has to have at least cut their teeth on mass production by hand.

Wood Plane

Requisite skills: 40 carpentry, 20 stone cutting (to create the stone blade)

Possibility: mechanics or engineering skill to build and operate machines?

Required Materials: 80 wood planks, 20 stone bricks, 40 pegs (never understood why only used in shipbuilding, medieval world utilized wooden pegs for everything!) 10 wooden shafts, 10 large nails.

Now, deep breath, no one freak out!

The way they work: These machines are containers. The wood plane, for instance, will accept logs as input, up to a certain weight/volume.

The purpose of implementation into our game is to save insane amounts of tedious clicking aimed at advanced players, but we also don't want to turn this into easymode to retain the essence of Wurm. So once your wood plane is loaded with logs you right click and hit "plane wood planks" at which point a long action timer (think "level" - maybe 5 minutes) at which point the logs in the plane are gradually converted to planks (again, much the way level produces dirt over time, draining stamina slower than a standard "dig") but ending prematurely when you run out of stamina.

That's it! Not too painful right?! And there is a ton of room for more complexities if the idea is well received. Imagine a wood plane that breaks blades after a few hundred planks, cut faster or last longer based on the QL of the blade used each time, etc.

I also think this idea would work well for brick machines and mortar mixers that take rock shards and clay + sand as inputs, respectively.

• Like 2

I think it would be a great addition! People often underestimate the intelligence of the medieval era, they had this type of machine fairly early on. Heck, people even have proof that they made tanks- armored carts dragged by horses/oxen with holes for small cannons to shoot out of.

But, I think a metal blade would make more sense tbh. 

Anyway, brilliant idea, I hope to see some stuff like this added into the game :)

Removing the bulk goods market = less sources for froobs to make coin = less prems = less player retention = BAD

I don't think that it would ruin anything because it doesnt make production anywhere near instantaneous or fun, people still don't want to stand there for hours and hours to make thousands of bricks.

however I do accept your point of view as apossible drawback, but at what point do you draw the line between your point and limiting cool additions to the game?

After reading your suggestion fully and completely, I respect how you acknowledged what most people fear about automated machines, and took that into consideration in the creation of this idea. However I look at it like this, Wurm will move away from clicking and interactive based, and be more about literally just sitting for a long period of time while the timer runs it's course. You start a long action timer and tab out for a long period of time while it does it's thing, well then you would say that the machine could break after several hundred clicks, or Stamina runs out, but even then bulk work has been done, and it can be really easy to keep the machine well kept up so it doesn't break, and to figure out the right amount of logs ect you can cut before running out of Stamina. This is vs. what we have now where yes you can que several actions then tab out, but not nearly as long as a giant single action timer would take. And then there is what Aether said above, which I interpret to mean the mass production of bulk goods, which yes in essence would destroy the need for nublets to create large piles of things.

I may respect your suggestion, but that does not mean I agree with it, I believe there is a better solution to what many consider a problem, granted I may not think there is an issue, but at least I can see that there is something else that needs to be added to appease to those who are much against clicking a lot. (This i honestly not meant to be sarcastic if there are those who take it as such).

perhaps the machines are temporary constructions that make a certain amount of bricks over time depending on the quality of materials and your "engineering" skill. They could work similarly to charcoal piles. Engineers could have a whole factory of machines spitting out bricks if they 'maintain' them;  and it could still take them some time&effort to collect materials and erect the machines.

Edited by Versai

The problem is this can have some side effects too, you are by example rendering obsolete 2 of the blacksmith sellers, chisels and saws. While i´m totally with the reduction on clicks needed, i´m against the heavy automation.

I´m all ok if a new gui or a new method arising that makes easier to queue your max number of action with one click, I even love level function as long as you need to pay attention to to your char in order to drop/take dirt to allow the command to continue, But dropping 50 logs in a machine and come back 15 minutes later to a container with 300 planks is too much.

Besides that, honestly bricks chipping and planks cutting are not good examples of such a bad behavior since you can actually queue your max number of actions with a single click. There is on the other hand another creation tasks that rely heavily on right clicking orgies, like making certain bulks items with large anvils (fence bars, ribbons, etc.) or using a floor loom to make cloth, and that's the kind of tasks where a cutting in the right clicking will be very welcomed.

I´m all ok if a new gui or a new method arising that makes easier to queue your max number of action with one click, I even love level function as long as you need to pay attention to to your char in order to drop/take dirt to allow the command to continue, But dropping 50 logs in a machine and come back 15 minutes later to a container with 300 planks is too much.

This sums it up for me. I'd rather hold off and see how they solve the clicking factor with a new GUI, rather than implement something that basically encourages you to play minimised or on multiple characters.

I honestly think the idea is great just needs some flushing out.

I would think that the limited automation could have limits in it that prevent just going afk and making massive amounts of bulk items.

Couple of ways to limit it would be the following.

(1) The amount of times the machine runs is limited to your Queing actions.

(2) Full stamina is used everytime.

(3) Food and water consumption are increased by 10% while using the machine ( assume more running around to fill the machine)

(4) Machine only holds a limited amount of entrance and exit material so has to be emptied.

(4)a Quality of final material made is directly related to skills of machine operator.

(5) Fail rate is the same as normal with skill and creating new products.

(6) The possiblity of Rare,Supreme,Fantastic does not work with the machine.

(7) Componets on the machine wear at a 10% higher rate and must be repaired more often.

(7)a  Compenents like blades and chisels cannot be repaired and Ql does make them last longer but once broken cycle stops until blade is replaced.

(8) Machine is portable like a catapult cannot be horse drawn max drag speed 5KPH.

(9) Machine would take Smithing,Carpentry,Fine Carpentry to create.

(10) Imping the machine prevents breakdowns that would occur at a random interval ( not to high) as it takes damage while creating products.

(11) Woa Coc has no affect on any components of the machine.

(12) Machine operation skill which would work to decrease amount of wastage that machine would create in making a product.  For instance level one skill 25% additional materials are needed to create bricks from shards and as the skill goes up that wastage goes down to a minimum of like 5%.

I would call my ideas a far more open discussion then what was before:)

Just my 2 copper

(13) Only one machine can be run by one person at a time and at any time if they move the interaction breaks and machine stops.

Ah windmills and water wheels... if only I had a pre-prepped response for such. Oh wait I do!

Wall of Text warning:

Any automation be it powered by wind, water, heat, or whatever should provide little, if any, skill gain to offset the increased ease of production. Tech levels are still pretty crude and quality control nonexistent, so even if the ql of the system parts (and the system as a whole) were created by a maxed out craftsman (would have to be highly skilled to begin with), the produced product would still be at a lower ql than what can be potentially created by hand.

Now Im not too crazy about having entire structure objects like a guard tower. Rather have such be more of a modification for existing player built structures, axles running through windows or specialized walls. Course there would be requirements: windmill blades would have to be placed high enough, waterwheels in submerged tiles, etc.

Each power source would contribute so much according to its type and ql. Gears and axles eating up the power by their respective ql, thus inefficiency. Of course, levers and pulleys. Players can then hook up any number of whatever is desired, limited by the total power.

This can consist of saws, mixers, grinders, bellows (for fires), and the sky is the limit. Players of the Dwarf Fortress game would be familar with this, the game pretty much nailed the crude mechanical concept.

Overall the construction should be made very resource and skill intensive. The relationship between power transfer and ql should be such that very high ql components are desired.

EDIT: Course this would probably require a whole new skill tree for mechanics. I cannot think of any existing main skill that would even come close. For assembling the final system that is. The individual components would come from various existing crafts.

EDIT EDIT: Oh yeah mechanic skillset should also include maintenance for replacing worn out components. Naturally the more the system is used, the faster stuff wears out. Lubricants would also be a heavy requirement.

Been unsure how enchants would factor in.

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 1

Klaa has hit the nail on the head any automated system with the exceptions in klaa's spoiler would be perfect for wurm!

I think that this game is screaming for stuff like this to make it more popular and mainstream in todays market. Just look at minecraft with tekkit same concept it only improves the player experience by cutting out all the boring mundane things if you chose to.

As far as destroying the "bulk goods" market there is not much of one to destroy to be honest it is really hard to get bulk goods really..well reliably anyway. I would much rather see something like this put in-game and the "froobs" can come work for me running the new mills if they need to, lol

Edited by Kegan

allthough i like the idea, this:

Removing the bulk goods market = less sources for froobs to make coin = less prems = less player retention = BAD

As soon as this is implemented, i ll get an alt to work on all the mats i need.

I prefer this to the current tedious clicking system. I'm concerned how this doesn't pull you into the game. It actually encourages you to alt-tab to another window. Although, it does somewhat conform to something I've said in the past, " pick up some resources, activate processing tool, mouse over resources and instruct to make x-number of product."

"I want to wait for the dev's to do the [vaporware] UI revision". I hope you guys realize the devs have a bad track record of willingness to change features when community points out design problems. I'm confused if you folks believe:

-- "I want to see what the dev will make and if that is not enough we will consider other ideas". In response, I hope you realize devs hardly ever go back and do revisions. You'll be given a system and no more dev time will spent on this subject for a years. There are significant historical evidence supporting this.

-- "I have faith that the devs will solve this issue and are currently working on it. This idea isn't needed because it will be solved with the in-the-work system". In response, thanks for being a realist and just stating your opinion.  I feel given the really easy solutions that have been present for this and the resistance to implement them, well I'm not very optimistic.

Well, if automated machines were ever added, walls should require a lot more bricks or planks each. But I'm really against this, unless the machines still have a timer so that people would be willing to hire others to run them.

-1 again

Honestly this is like the 20th time this has come up.

good ideas tend to do that

plank and brick factory, requires a crapload of materials [same as ships] and will produce ~200-400planks/bricks in 24hour time.

You load them with maxium of 20 logs or 100rock shards :)

if automatization is goin to be the new thing.

No one is talking about taking it all the way to automation just having a hopper so you dont have to move loads of items in and out of your inventory and reducing the clicks is what we need.

We need like a workbench that you can load up with materials just like a bsb and you then select "planks" from the drop down menu. Now with the right tool activated in your inventory just right click the workbench and select create. Now this new create would also have a key bind so you can just hit the key and queue up as many actions as you can normally and it will use the same tools, timers and everything. When it makes the planks it drops the plank and the waste back into the same bin as the raw materials. It just stops all the pointless loading and unloading of inventory and all the clicks.  

Well this is what i am wanting anyway nothing about load it up walk away and come back and poof you have planks that is not what i want at all or what the OP is suggesting here. Well he is suggesting that it just does the actions till your stamina is drained or you use up all your materials but the queue would be a huge step forward and less of a fight to get, lol

Edited by Kegan