Sign in to follow this  
Emporer

Lets Get Wurm Online Greenlit!

I heard steam takes 30% of revenue, i assume players playing through steam would be subject to paying through steam which would cause the 30% tax to come into place.

That still leaves 70% of all steam sales, which is still better than 100% of nothing :D

Edited by Dextrome

In the end it would hurt the game more than let it gain anything I think, wurm has a sorta specific play style that you need to have to have fun with, look at War-Z, I think backlash like that would happen if it went up on steam.

But in the future it would be beyond amazing to have hundreds of people on each server, imagine pvp against a brand new group like every week, that would be great.

*facepalm* War-Z? Seriously? You believe Steam was the problem? Not the game itself? Wtf...

*facepalm* War-Z? Seriously? You believe Steam was the problem? Not the game itself? Wtf...

110% agree.  The game was a fraudulently advertised, bug-ridden exploit/hacked/laggy pay4items game.  Steam had nothing to do with it, the company is one that will never see my money.

As a well Older playing character in my on and off time in Wurm I have learned a couple things.

(1) As much as Rolf wants the game to be in his Vision it seems the organizational skills are lacking somewhat.

(2) It is easy for a dream to become a nightmare if a structure is not in place to deal with kinks or hiccups. ( Wurm has kinks and hiccups, some kind of funny)

(3) Before going to a much large playerbase the tutorial system has to be better, it still needs tweaks.

(4) Maketing a game involves a rather indepth understanding of who you are wanting to play and what you are willing to put up with.

(5) New players need to be firmly aware of how skills and success rates work.  I have had to explain this at least 100 times.

So I would say although wurm is getting better it still lacks a concise organized top down structure from all the gms ca's and even senior devs I have conversed with.  In house policies from a somewhat paranoid developer and people doing great work and not being paid.  Counter instructions from coming from 3 different directions and known power plays that spill out onto the forums are far more in need or urgent care then I think more customer.

Just my 2 copper. 

• Like 2

Oh!, and Steam can have games region locked (still waiting Vindictus on Steam Europe...), so if for whatever reason we see Wurm Online in Steam, that could be a way to control the influx of new player.

not sure about anyone else but this is something I would not want, I like the idea of having all walks of life in one place, that has always bothered me about some games. its nice to log on at different times and meet new people.

this is just my opinion of course

This has been considered in the past but no ETA or plans for the immediate future.

wurms plans list is to discuss everything and never implement anything... 

• Like 1

will the servers even hold with such a huge influx of players from steam? 

If we allow steam, we'd need DRASTICALLY bigger/ more servers.

Wurm infrastructure is NOT ready for any mass invasion of steam.

The slots we do have would be filled up within hours of greenlighting.

As much as we all want new blood and people.. Would you be willing to never be able to connect to the servers for hours because it got so full? Or deal with crashing and server lag due to player overload? We all know how laggy wurm is with our current player count.. Imagine 6-8times more and there you go, that's one of the main issues here.

Fix our infrastructure and I'm 100% for it

Edited by Radni

As far as I know steam takes 30% of all sales, I don't know if that counts for Greenlit aswell, but I don't plan on paying 10E a month for this just so that it can be on steam, that's a waste of my money.

As far as I know steam takes 30% of all sales, I don't know if that counts for Greenlit aswell, but I don't plan on paying 10E a month for this just so that it can be on steam, that's a waste of my money.

This may blow your mind, so hold on.

If you sell 100 games for 5 cookies each, you got 500 cookies

If you sell 20000 games for 5 cookies each, you got 70000 cookies after the cookie monster takes it share

Now, can you tell me which option will earn you more cookies?

This may blow your mind, so hold on.

If you sell 100 games for 5 cookies each, you got 500 cookies

If you sell 20000 games for 5 cookies each, you got 70000 cookies after the cookie monster takes it share

Now, can you tell me which option will earn you more cookies?

^ That is one side of maths. ^

20000 new players will need 200 new servers with size of Deli/Exo/Cele or 100 new servers size of Indy. Just creating that amount of servers will eat 70000+ cookies. I do not even talking about soon most of servers will be empty. Because common Steam players do not have patience of common Wurmians. Close to empty servers will eat cookies every months, but producing close to nothing.

And can you even imagine sailing 100 servers connected south from Celebration? :P

In short, today's Wurm can accept new players slowly, but not in thousands. And there is not much space for improvement, because Java have its limits.

not sure about anyone else but this is something I would not want, I like the idea of having all walks of life in one place, that has always bothered me about some games. its nice to log on at different times and meet new people.

this is just my opinion of course

Hey, I was just giving a posible solution, to how to control many players comes to Wurm in the theorical situation that Wurm gets launched on Steamm.

I love too when no matter what part of the day is, theres always one or two person in my village.

I don't think Wurm can handle (at this point in time) a huge influx of players like going on Steam Greenlit will give us. It will do more bad than good.

As it grows, more adjustments will be made :)

it cant just collapse, sure there is goin to be annoying moments like super lag or massive server crashes.. but they always get sorted.

Wurm is in no way a game for a mass market platform like Steam. The only effect of listing Wurm on Steam is that you get hundreds of thousands of people building wooden sheds and then leaving Wurm for the next action shooter without having paid Rolf a dime. No benefit for Wurm whatsoever.

Also, Wurm's low player base - and thus it's problem - is not that too few people try the game. On the contrary, many people try it - but only a small number of these people stay and continue as premium players.

• Like 1

Hey, I was just giving a posible solution, to how to control many players comes to Wurm in the theorical situation that Wurm gets launched on Steamm.

I love too when no matter what part of the day is, theres always one or two person in my village

and by no means was it a stab at you, just my opinion on the issue.

this is one of the great things about the community we have now, though thin at times, everyone has the opportunity to lay out their ideas and opinions and get feedback from the devs and vise versa.  

how many other games can say that ? to the extent that this community dose that is. its a constant exchange of ideas here because we have a low number of players and most of which are veteran players, already have a pretty good idea of what will work and what will not. its a double edge sword really, we would all like to see more people but at the exact same time we don't want to ruin what we have now and what we have worked so hard to get.

sorry if I came across as saying your input was junk, it was not intended to be as such  

The problem is retention, not players joining.

We get 10+ new guys a day on GV, and if you could keep them in wurm, we would shoot up in population

Edited by Radni
  • Like 2

Coming from someone that uses steam for pretty much everything...

I need a huge Protunia sized NO!

Wurm couldn't handle the tens of thousands of players that steam would get us. More less how many jerks it would get us. Wurms community is better off without steam players. (Note I'm not saying there all bad, but with how many players we'd get...it would be bad. Very very bad.)

While I agree we could always get new servers, maybe bigger ones, your talking about a LOT of new players in the first 24 hours alone. Possibly 10-20x are player base overnight. Can you imagine that many players spawning in? Not to mention there will be griefers - anything withen close range would be destroyed.

I could come up with 10 million reasons steams good, I can also come up with 10 million as why it's bad. My 1000$.

but you must have the ability to support all the new players which right now we do not, it cost money to make money so I don't see it happening anytime soon personally. I still think it would be cool to get some new blood 

Edited by swiftxfate