Sign in to follow this  
fuzzy.style

Lake Into Cave Entrance

Hello, I planned to have a cave with a boat dock inside of it, kind of like underground base sort of thing. Unfortunately trying to mine out into lake didn't happen as smoothly as I'd like. If you know the solution to this please let me know, I've basically just been waiting and hoping it will collapse so I could try again but thought I'd ask around to see if anyone has advice. 

Maybe I have to level out the outside surface or something?canal_zps668fac72.jpg

canal2_zpsde4d5802.jpgcanal3_zps68f56770.jpg

You'd need to collapse the entrance and mine the corners down below water. :)

• Like 1

I don't know if I can collapse it, considering there isnt really a roof to the tile entrance. sigh, guess I just have to wait for it to naturally collapse?

Okay I will look into this solution, maybe because it is slanted that is throwing me off. Thank you guys

Edited by fuzzy.style

You can collapse by right clicking the floor tile from the outside, or inside for that matter.

• Like 1

Shaker orb worked, now have some surface mining to do... 

I originally wanted to have the tile below it be the tunnel, but tunneled from inside the cave out and thats how that mess came about. >.>

Shaker orb worked, now have some surface mining to do... 

I originally wanted to have the tile below it be the tunnel, but tunneled from inside the cave out and thats how that mess came about. >.>

Tunnel from the outside on the tile you want opened?

Edit: If you stick to surface mining the tile you currently opened and collapsed... Make sure you lower all 4 corners of the tile down. This is because if you want to place a mine door on the cave, the opening may be too large to fit a mine door on. I believe the limit is around 90 steep so aim for less than that, the smaller it is the tidier it looks too.

Edited by MetalDragon
  • Like 1

I am going to try tunneling from outside on the tile below the old tunnel entrance with hopes it works and will look much cleaner, plus way less surface mining would be needed. I will update. Appreciate all the advice, guys :)

edit: Can big boats go through a 1 tile tunnel entrance?

Edited by fuzzy.style

I am going to try tunneling from outside on the tile below the old tunnel entrance with hopes it works and will look much cleaner, plus way less surface mining would be needed. I will update. Appreciate all the advice, guys :)

edit: Can big boats go through a 1 tile tunnel entrance?

Yes but they need to be push/pulled through.

Before I start trying to tunnel figure'd id ask here for any input.newcanal_zpsb7bcd3e8.jpg

Highlighted tile is planned tunnel, anyone expect problems?

Can a tunnel be 2x2? Wondering if it is deep enough as well

The entrances can only be 1x1 atm.

Tunnel can be any height, width, and length you desire, and what the terrain allows. For high ceilings one is advised to start with a tunnel far above water level and then mine the floor corners down. Roofs can be mined too, except its only as high as you can reach.

Also now there's limitations on how close tunnel roofs can be to the surface.

With creating decent water tunnel entrances for sailing (even knarrs can be sailed in, threading the needle!)... you want to mine the floor down as much as you can in water before mining straight out from underground. It really helps if the planned entrance tile is at least three-fourths underwater. EDIT: Almost forget to mention that having a small boat nearby is a wonderful precaution.

Entrances mined from the surface always have a high lip, which make em almost useless.

Not unusual to have some false starts in the beginning.

Signed,

Highly Experienced Miner of Ship Docks

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 3

The entrances can only be 1x1 atm.

Tunnel can be any height, width, and length you desire, and what the terrain allows. For high ceilings one is advised to start with a tunnel far above water level and then mine the floor corners down. Roofs can be mined too, except its only as high as you can reach.

Also now there's limitations on how close tunnel roofs can be to the surface.

With creating decent water tunnel entrances for sailing (even knarrs can be sailed in, threading the needle!)... you want to mine the floor down as much as you can in water before mining straight out from underground. It really helps if the planned entrance tile is at least three-fourths underwater. EDIT: Almost forget to mention that having a small boat nearby is a wonderful precaution.

Entrances mined from the surface always have a high lip, which make em almost useless.

Not unusual to have some false starts in the beginning.

Signed,

Highly Experienced Miner of Ship Docks

Something like this should be on the wiki. 

Actually it sort of is under Mining... I was the one who added it.

Granted the explanation here differs, so unsure personally which is more clear.

If there's any confusing sections, feel free to point them out.

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Mining#Opening_a_ship_tunnel

EDIT: Not to mention any terms searched for, other than mining, that can be redirected.

Edited by Klaa

Hire a mag priest next time cost between 50c - 1 s.

Looks like you mined up from inside, on the first photos.

Hey would like to thank all for advice, managed to successfully tunnel after reading reading your post Klaa. 

I started with a taller tile in different direction, ended up opening the previous tunnel I shaker orb closed but oh well, good to know mag priest will be cheaper alternative. 

I mined the outside tile border to as far as I can while swimming, seems if I enter too fast into cave I get disembarked half the time, but it is working so im happy! 

Edit: the weird thing was I was actually mining down to the outside on my initial tunnel attempt, so when it had such a huge lip was very weird.

inside_zps0f34d911.jpg

out_zpse02aa379.jpg

Edited by fuzzy.style