Sign in to follow this  
gnomegates

Leading Hitched Animals

Somthing that I was thinking of the other day and talked with a few others in chat and they suggested that I suggest it here so here I am.

How about being able to lead animals that are hitched to a cart but I am not on board to drive it, but instead I wish to have it follow behind me like a cart normally would with no animals. To often I'm working beside my cart with horses terraforming and end up going to far and the cart window closes, so I have to go back to the cart, embark on it and move it a few squares and then disembark, work those couple squares then rinse and repeat. I think it would be nice if we could have the horses and cart follow behind us while we are working. It would save a little time and be less annoying. Right now I'm always having to "Right click Embark" Right Click disembark" Right click open" and do it over and over if and when I get out of range of the cart.

Thanks

• Like 3

I agree wholeheartedly with gnomegates.  I wish for something better also.  Even if it requires a higher level of skill and/or a new craftable item, such as "Hitched-Cart Lead", a special lead for pulling a cart behind you (and within cart-inventory range) to avoid closed windows while terraforming, etc.    + 1    add this feature please and thank you!

I don't mind the closed windows, as I know how far I can move without them closing, but the constant loading and resulting lag after all those embarks/disembarks I would love to be able to avoid, so big +1 from me. It should just take 20.1 Mind logic just like commanding the cart.

+1  I want this desperately.  The cart must stay close enough to not close windows!

I see no mention of speed here. Its worth pointing out that a cart can go faster than 17 km/h. Speed should be limited by the lesser of either the toons movement speed or the carts current speed.

I'd make it so even F2P can use this.

+1

I like that idea. I see no problem, if F2P will be able to use it too. They need some way, how to transport their low ql mass products to market, to pay for their premium.

But one important condition must be met: Only player, who (from view point of cart management) can drive it, can lead it too.

Otherwise it can be easily used as another griefing tool.

+1 as long as it follows the management rules of the cart therefore people who are not allowed to use the cart cannot come along and just lead it away

EDIT: can only be lead if the player is on foot and matches the speed the player leading it goes

Edited by Touchmee

+1 good idea.. perhaps even allow it to be done with a cow and the small cart?

SPEED:

-- A no armor player on flat paved road can go 17 km/h. Its common for hitched carts to go slower than this. If you only got one horse you will always go slower. Thus, limiting only based on toon speed creates a case where a cart can be lead faster then it can be driven.

-- two ven horses, 5 speed, with good woa shoes can pull a cart upwards of 20+ km/h.Thus, limiting only based on cart speed creates a situation where you can lead faster then you can walk. Carts are unaffected by terrain, would that mean the toon when leading gets the same benefits (assuming this limiting case)?

The best way is to limit using the lesser of either toon foot speed or cart drive speed. If this isn't possible I'd prefer speed based on toon foot speed. And just for good measure, I'd like to point out there is no reason to impose speed reductions. Its not like dragging a cart where your doing extra work. The toon is just moving around next to a hitched cart.

Climbing....We can climb slopes while dragging a cart. How would that work with leading a cart? I'd think that any terrain a cart can not be driven over will likewise not work when leading it on foot.

+1 IF it has the same requirements as actually driving the large cart.