Sign in to follow this  
Sweety

Guide For Setting A New Deed (What Makes A Good Deed Spot)

Hello friends,

I saw quite a lot of new players being quite confused about makes a good spot for a deed and what kind of place they should look for. And since I fooled around a bit with setting deeds in my short experience in WURM (had over 20 deeds all together on all my reincarnations) I decided to try to write a sgort guide about this.

However, I'm still far from being a veteran or an expert, so there may be a lot of things I will miss with the guide, and that's why I ask you all to complete it. :)

Of course, more than anything I will write in this guide (and hopefully others will add to), the most important thing is that you love the location. That's why this guide doesn't aim to be an exact guide, but just a collection of suggestions, a starting point for a new player, which everyone can and should tailor according to their own needs.

1) Beach-front or in-land - finding a beach-front open space is far harder than finding an in-land one, but is well worth it. And I don't talk here about easy access to water (because that's easily solved with a fountain), but about the ability to buy / sell / trade / hull big amounts of bulk goods. Just a short comparison: a full loaded big ship can hold up to 4,000 dirts; a full loaded cart driven by player can hold up to 312 dirts. Now being dunno... 50-100 tiles away of ocean may not be a disaster, but being based in the middle of the main land can easily become one.

2) Terraformed or not - terraforming is in most cases easy, fast and really fun, so don't aim necessarily for a pre-flattened land. It may save you some time, but not a lot, and it really takes away something from the fun of really changing the land as per your wish. You should however beware land with big level differences since this most likely indicate a rocky terrain below dirt and terraforming (surface mining) such a terrain can be a really pain. So, resuming - bumpy terrain is no problem; terrain with big total level differences from one corner to another is better to be avoided.

3) Close to starting town or nor - the general consensus is that relatively close to starting town is better since you have fast access to public resources (public mines, public pits, etc) and fast access to the market if you want to buy things from merchants or set your own merchant. On the other hand it also means lots of newbies wandering around, lots of dead bodies, lots of spam on chat, etc. Also not much good spots still available. That's why I recommend a compromise - try to find a place somewhere at 15-20 minutes walking distance from starting town (5-10 minutes with a boat / cart / horse). That would give you the best of the two worlds and the chance to still find good open spots around there.

4) Resources - you honestly really NEED easy access to only three resources - iron, rock shards and clay; having them right on deed is great, but even having them out of deed, but close enough would do the trick. Any other resources like silver, gold, copper, tin, lead, tar, etc are pretty much a luxury and not really needed by most players.

5) Size - think well at what deed size you would prefer; personally I think that a deed of 21x21 (that requires 31x31 open space if you also count the perimeter) is a really nice one (maintenance is the minimum one - 1s per month, and there is quite enough space for a couple). Ideally, you will want to have some extra space till a near natural barrier (like a mountain or something) or near your neighbour to allow you even to expand later or just to have some off-deed assets (like farming fields, tree farms, etc). But, this space should be lower than 21 tiles to not allow another deed to be set there. Something like 10 extra tiles after perimeter sounds really cool. So, what I would really love to find would be an open space ~51x41; this would allow founding a deed 21x21, 5 tiles of perimeter to 31x31 and ~10 tiles on three sides to 51x41.

6) Bonuses - a guard tower, neighbor deeds with spirit templars, a public mine, a public pit, useful trees (like oaks, cedars, grapes, etc) are all nice bonuses, but not really mandatory. Also about guard tower, please note that there must be at least 50 tiles apart between them, so if you plan to build one on your deed, make sure there is none on 50 tiles around it.

7) Neighbors - more than resources or scenery, your neighbors can make the difference between a dream life where you actually feel you are part of a community or a nightmare with all out wars and grieving attempts every second day. Be sure you talk with your future neighbors first, get to know them and see if you like them, let them know you want to set a deed there and make sure you don't interfere with their plans.

Resuming: beach-front; like 15-20 minutes walking distance from starting town; with easy access to iron, rock, clay; an open space between 31x31 and ~51x51; good neighbors.

And YES, these kind of spots still exist on most servers!

Hellcome to Wurm, friend! :) May your stay here be a long, glorious and most important enjoyable one.

Cheers,

Alex

Edited by Sweety
  • Like 1

Well that's your opinion.

Many people will disagree on your points, others will agree.

Truth is location, size, terrain and resources on a deed totally depend on what you want to do with the deed, and many times constraints such as size will greatly depend on the location. So all in all, i don't think your guide is that accurate.

Everyone is different :)

There Are some basic tips, depending on your own Taste and, well, many many other things.

I always pick coastal deeds, bit distant areas, not crowded, with decent hunting spots.

At same time some of my close friends will never leave theirs huge mountain deeds in middle of nowhere :)

But Sweets advices works just fine as Basic Guide lines.

Spent 20 hours this weekend looking for a spot on the water from Celebration to Dele.  Most places we found wound not accept deed because of overlapping with another deeds border.  Not discouraged yet but just saying its not easy.

I'll tell you the best kept secret way to find great places to set up a deed:

Politely ask folks if they know of any good spots they can point you to.

Nearly everyone who is already established knows of a few places 'off the beaten path' that would make great deeds, and if you seem like a considerate, friendly, and determined person, they will often show you right to them.

• Like 2

I think a thread like this could be superb idea, if done right! Sure, locations and priorities are different for different people. Why not interview people with totally different deeds what made them choose their spot? What proved to be their main concerns & problems?

There are of course people who choose a coastal spot, potentially even where they can dig a canal to the next body of water. But there are also people who seek the heights of a mountain. Let them explain what made their deed unique.

Besides obvious resources and lack thereof, what kind of project did people envision when they first saw the area they deeded? This is what makes or breaks a deed spot for me...

I think this guide can only flourish if it showcases the various ways that deeds can be envisioned and developed, instead of giving some optimal medium (close to coast and spawn, near clay, blahblah...) or just one person's idea. You already gave some additional dimensions beyond this... now get some more voices in. :)

I think a thread like this could be superb idea, if done right! Sure, locations and priorities are different for different people. Why not interview people with totally different deeds what made them choose their spot? What proved to be their main concerns & problems?

I agree with this, as I, personally, have had a wonderful experience in a town. I also know people who went out into the wild and had an amazing experience. It all depends on what you as a Wurmian like. However, Sweety's idea is a really good home; I would say one of the "dream spots" in Wurm. Its a good help for new people looking for help choosing a home. Personally, I would recommend joining a village to get on your feet, but that's just me. 

Happy Trails,

JosephD