Sign in to follow this  
Addeny

Have More Than One Animal Tamed

It should work sort of like animal husbandry. The base is one creature allowed, then every 10 skill, you can have one more tamed at a time.

So a 10 animal taming would allow two creatures to be tamed at the same time.

20 would allow for three.

etc.

• Like 1

This would be nice.  However, it has limits for a couple reasons.

First: PVP, being able to take multiple tamed creatures would unbalance fights, one faction (HoTS) has more limited ability to tame with.

Second:  Much less impact than the PVP, but this would make creature breeding much easier.  We want more things in the wild rather than with the breeders.

Edited by Pollo

Well, obviously, only one would allowed to fight at a time. There could be an option to switch active pet.

Perhaps, there could be a reward of sorts for releasing animals into the wild. Maybe a small skillgain to soul or soul depth? That would keep the wild population at a decent size.

This would be nice.  However, it has limits for a couple reasons.

First: PVP, being able to take multiple tamed creatures would unbalance fights, one faction (HoTS) has more limited ability to tame with.

Second:  Much less impact than the PVP, but this would make creature breeding much easier.  We want more things in the wild rather than with the breeders.

First:  Seems it would be quite simple to make it so you can only lead 1 tamed animal so pvp is not affected.

Second:  If Rolf got off the idea of the grind for skill, people like me would not keep a hoard of animals.  for example, I'm at 84+ AH and after grooming my 60+ groomable animals I only get about 0.04 skillgain, and that's with SB and a skiller brush.  I'd be perfectly happy keeping fewer animals, but getting the skilgain would take many years then. 

The grind is also what keeps so many potential players away too.  It won't matter how much easier he makes the first days for a new player if they are still going to run into the grind later.  And this is from a player that already has 90+in many skills.  Until he changes that grind drastically, we will continue to be a small game that drives players away, and Rolf will always have trouble getting the money to keep it going when he could be getting rich.

I do not want to come across as being against this idea, merely stating what some problems are.  I believe taming skill should be much more than what it currently is.

First: it is more difficult than just than just leading 1 tamed creature at a time.  I do not live on a PVP server but I can not imagine attempting to assault a deed where every citizen might have 5-6 (or more) champion creatures tamed.  This might be abit of exageration because of creature limits/taming skill limts but it is theoretically possible.  Someone from a PVP server should have comments on this.

Second:  Yes the grindyness (?) of Wurm can be terrible, but grooming is different than taming.  Most groomable animals dont need to be tamed (if any), and have limits already in place.  Creature breeding is separate and should be somewhat more difficult.  Multiple tamed creatures makes this abit easier.  People wanting their champion zoos is one thing (and should be difficult), champion breeding farms on PVP servers is another.  Again someone from PVP side would need to comment here, but I imagine HoTS would not like to see anything that makes breeding champion creatures easier.

Taming is an extraordinary grind in itself and does not give back value in relation to the effort it takes to raise.  It is only one of very many skills like this that need to be looked at and improved.  Allowing multiple tamed creatures seems like an easy improvement but comes with numerous negatives (albeit mostly PVP). 

Other taming improvements may be better, perhaps permanent tamed status (until death) when taming creature that is 20-30  lower than your taming skill.  Easier ways to untame creatures (right click to untame?) should also be added so as to make the skill more flexable.

Edited by Pollo

As to zoos, it is already quite difficult to breed aggro animals and having both tamed only makes a tiny part of that easier.  Sure, you could breed them easier, but then you have to keep a female fat or she loses the baby before birth.  And you have to untame it before birth or it kills it's offspring.  It wouldn't take much of a change to make that even harder.  And since captive bred creatures do not give any fight skill, that has stopped a lot of the aggro breeders already.  Breeding of aggros could also be a skill that is only unlocked in AH at very high skills, to further discourage the practice.  The point is that you can do other offsets to keep having multiple pets from being a problem rather than just discount the idea completely.

On a side note, I'd like to see wild cats become domesticated cats after the first generation, creating a new non aggro creature and giving us a new pet to keep around, just like they did historically.

I do not want to come across as being against this idea, merely stating what some problems are.  I believe taming skill should be much more than what it currently is.

First: it is more difficult than just than just leading 1 tamed creature at a time.  I do not live on a PVP server but I can not imagine attempting to assault a deed where every citizen might have 5-6 (or more) champion creatures tamed.  This might be abit of exageration because of creature limits/taming skill limts but it is theoretically possible.  Someone from a PVP server should have comments on this.

If only one of the pets were active, then only that one could fight because the person would be in control of that one alone. Other tamed pets would just stand idly in their pens like horses and not attack unless attacked first. having multiple tamed pets would mostly make breeding aggressive creatures a tiny bit easier.

• Like 1

Having multiple tamed animal would require serious change in the pet code and totaly unbalance PVP.

Here is my suggestion: if someone tamed an aggressive creature, raised its taming status to let say "Trusting" (70+) then took care of it when it was at this level, when it untames, it's stay blue/neural/non-aggressive to the person taking care of it and ONLY the person taking care of it (and only as long as it's taken care of). The creature stay aggressive to anyone else and can be attacked by guards.

But that way if you want to be the crazy lady with 7 cats (or champ crocs) in her house, you can.

• Like 1

If the game disallow lockpicking on pve servers, then probably there is ways to disable multi taming on pvp servers.

+1 to allow multi pets tamed on pve servers.

imagine to ride a hellhorse and lead a few champ crocs xD

would totally unbalance things i bet lol

• Like 1

If the game disallow lockpicking on pve servers, then probably there is ways to disable multi taming on pvp servers.

+1 to allow multi pets tamed on pve servers.

Lockpicking is not disallowed on pve servers.  You can pick lock on items (boats/bsbs) that you own.  PVP just allows illegal actions like lockpicking upon others.

Edited by Pollo

imagine to ride a hellhorse and lead a few champ crocs xD

would totally unbalance things i bet lol

Only one tame creature would be able to follow you at a time.

Tame hell horse is tame whether you're riding it or not.

Sounds like an inclination to have taming function more along the lines of gradually domesticating generations of animals, along with animal husbandry.

Pets would then function akin to the rarity system?

On the OP, aye always felt higher taming levels should enable more pets, being a Fo follower would unlock this, or something.

You could make one a primary and the rest not count during PvP.....  or even place a  limit the number of some types of aggro creatures that can be tamed at one time.  tamed a troll???  you cant tame anything else because it takes all your skill to control it.

Same thing with logging off line just make one a primary and you lose tamed status of the rest if you log off?

Anyhow been suggested before and I think it would neat to work this into taming skill as I think it would add to the game.

I would space it out for skills at 30 for 2, 50 for 3, 70 for 4 and 5 at 90

Edited by Protunia

I would space it out even further than that - 2 at 50, 3 at 90. Any more would be pointless as you are limited to 3 leads anyway.

5 animals fighting for one person is just way too many.

Only way I'd see this making the pvp crowd happy and maintaining balance would be only allowing one tamed creature to be led at a time, as a whole it would be fair to allow people to tame 2 to breed aggressives as they already do with multiple chars as a workaround.