Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Money Distribution Improvements

Hi,

the original idea behind the trader system is to distribute money among players (not the least newbies so that they can get started on their own). This isn't really happening until you join a settlement with a trader since the only accessible traders usually are in the starter town where they are constantly drained.

So in that respect the trader system works extremely poorly. Despite various efforts to promote making them accessible in various ways people prefer to keep them locked up on deed.

I've given it some thought, discussed it with the team and came up with the following system now being tested on the test server:

Low quality, usually useless items can be "sold" to traders, merchants and tokens. Select the item, right-click and you get the option sell. You will receive up to 10 iron coins depending on quality level. We don't care if it's a hard item to make or just some nettles you've foraged. Keep it if you don't want to sell it. The action takes 3 seconds.

You can currently sell items like this for up to 5 copper per hour. If you do the math, that's several hundred items so most people will have trouble finding or creating items fast enough to sell them like this. Reboots will reset this allowance, which I see no problem with since they usually happen about once or twice per week.

The money is drawn from the kings coffers just as when money is distributed to traders. There's a reserve that he won't give out like this reserved to traders and if the money reaches this limit he won't accept the item. The king coffers on most servers currently has a surplus that isn't distributed so there is little risk that those with traders see a decrease in their income.

This system might also help keep the databases and servers clean since it motivates people to gather items lying around.

- Edit -

There are of course some types of low value items that won't be sellable, including:

Liquids,

Scraps,

Needles,

Nails,

Shards, Sand, Dirt,Clay (Shards will be instadiscardable so you can keep your mines clean instead)

--

Please try it out and give feedback,

Rolf

• Like 28

I think the amount gained per hour should rise, as some players cant play the game more then 1-2 hours a day. id say make it 10- 20c an hour. that way youll gain a fair bit a month, but least youll be bout on par with traders . Also rolf, I love this idea, best solution ive seen to the problem! :-)

Edited by fatboy

so thats the only way to make money from traders from now on?? if it isnt it wont make any diference and if it is,it wont make any diference and many players will rage

Edited by Tpikol

So will this system work in tandem with traders, allowing players with traders to utilise this system as well as their current trader banks? Also, will the limit be character based or ip based? Someone with a bunch of alts can essentially farm coppers from a token very easily

Edited by Archaed

What a curious addition to the game. I kinda like it, can't see any major obvious problems, and 10i per item is a sensible upper limit.

• Like 3

Will be interesting to see how well this works, but an interesting change for non-established players to get some coin and feel like they are part of the economy.  Have always thought that Wurm's coin economy is too closed to promote expansive gameplay.

This seems like an interesting way of getting a little money into newbies' pockets.  I'm all for that, because money in newbies' pockets means money in vets' pockets via trading.

My only concern is abuse via alts/IPs/bots/etc.  Is the 5c per hour limit per character, account, IP, or what?

How will this effect the Chief of Economy kingdom title?

Edit: or is this change an addition to the current system?

Edited by Tryfaen

I like this alot, a complete newb to game can scrounge up enough coin for a tiny deed or even cover their premium if necessary

Sounds like this is in addition to current system Tryfaen.  Notice how it seems the payout will be from the surplus of Kings funds that does not get payed out.

The king coffers on most servers currently has a surplus that isn't distributed so there is little risk that those with traders see a decrease in their income.

Hmm so your promoting less coin purchased from your shop, and more people selling silver and gold?

I have seen bots loging into a trader and log out if it wasent payout time yet, almost like clock work some days.

I just dont see this working out the way you intended it to.

I have no solution myself, wish I did.

But the way I see this your bleeding yourself dry slowly of income [coin sold ].

• Like 1

If it's in addition to the normal system, traders will still be locked up.  If player xxx pays 50 silver for a trader to farm it for silver, they aren't going to unlock it just so people can come and trade in wood scraps at up to 10 iron each AND allow farmers to farm the silver.  It changes nothing for them.

A public trader (rare) that is meant to generate funds by tax towards deed upkeep will benefit from this probably. 

I think the amount gained per hour should rise, as some players cant play the game more then 1-2 hours a day. id say make it 10- 20c an hour. that way youll gain a fair bit a month, but least youll be bout on par with traders . Also rolf, I love this idea, best solution ive seen to the problem! :-)

Hm I think that you are right with this idea, however there should be a limit per day, maybe a silver? (Per IP)

Edited by iome

Well I know for a fact this is gonna mean I open up my private trader, who sits undrained because I can't be bothered managing ratio, to my villagers and encourage them to keep the deed clean XD

Low quality, usually useless items can be "sold" to traders, merchants and tokens. Select the item, right-click and you get the option sell. You will receive up to 10 iron coins depending on quality level. We don't care if it's a hard item to make or just some nettles you've foraged. Keep it if you don't want to sell it. The action takes 3 seconds.

Does not seem to be dependant on the trader system for players to get the small amount of coin.

If it's in addition to the normal system, traders will still be locked up.  If player xxx pays 50 silver for a trader to farm it for silver, they aren't going to unlock it just so people can come and trade in wood scraps at up to 10 iron each AND allow farmers to farm the silver.  It changes nothing for them.

A public trader (rare) that is meant to generate funds by tax towards deed upkeep will benefit from this probably. 

Kings coffers: 26 silver, 65 copper and 74 iron (266574 irons).

Rolf would you be willing to tell the exact minimum reserve that will be set because this is already very low and the traders we have don't seem to receive much money from the kings coffers when it is distributed.

It already seems that traders receive less money than they used to, did you already nerf traders?

Looks like a good addition to the trader system. The amount of money seems right at that amount I'd have no interest in "farming" it. If it went as high as Fatboy suggested now it's worth it to me to farm as I play 8 hrs a day and longer on weekends.

I haven't touched distribution in ages.

The silver going around may have dropped lately overall though.

It already seems that traders receive less money than they used to, did you already nerf traders?

Traders effectively got nerfed 6 months ago with the price hike.  Either people paid ahead for premium and deeds or people are being even tighter with their money now.  This allows much less money in the system to be recycled.  Wurm has always had a very tight monetary system, made worse when money is not being spent. 

This seems to be an attempt to allow a little more money into the system with hope that some new players might benefit (unlikely as established players will likely farm more than a new player can).  There likely is a possiblity that it can impact silver payout on traders.

I still think this is a good trial to spread the economy a little, I hope that it works even though I am skeptical.

Edited by Pollo

Hi,

the original idea behind the trader system is to distribute money among players (not the least newbies so that they can get started on their own). This isn't really happening until you join a settlement with a trader since the only accessible traders usually are in the starter town where they are constantly drained.

So in that respect the trader system works extremely poorly. Despite various efforts to promote making them accessible in various ways people prefer to keep them locked up on deed.

I've given it some thought, discussed it with the team and came up with the following system now being tested on the test server:

You can currently sell items like this for up to 5 copper per hour. If you do the math, that's several hundred items so most people will have trouble finding or creating items fast enough to sell them like this. Reboots will reset this allowance, which I see no problem with since they usually happen about once or twice per week.

The money is drawn from the kings coffers just as when money is distributed to traders. There's a reserve that he won't give out like this reserved to traders and if the money reaches this limit he won't accept the item. The king coffers on most servers currently has a surplus that isn't distributed so there is little risk that those with traders see a decrease in their income.

This system might also help keep the databases and servers clean since it motivates people to gather items lying around.

Please try it out and give feedback,

Rolf

Nice one Rolf!

Good way to give some income to newbies. I would have probably done it with new mission types, but this idea really does seem to benefit new players the most. Although it needs real testing, so that it can't be abused.

Still this is one of those days that reminds me why i play Wurm.

Hmm so your promoting less coin purchased from your shop, and more people selling silver and gold?

I have seen bots loging into a trader and log out if it wasent payout time yet, almost like clock work some days.

I just dont see this working out the way you intended it to.

I have no solution myself, wish I did.

But the way I see this your bleeding yourself dry slowly of income [coin sold ].

Yeah, stuff like alt gold farming needs to be restrained, I'd probably restrict this to traders and merchants (maybe also bartenders), and put a restriction on how much each trader and merchant will buy from players so as to prevent people using a swarm of alts to drain gold to sell (Otherwise we might see news about chinese prisioners playing Wurm).

I haven't touched distribution in ages.

The silver going around may have dropped lately overall though.

Traders effectively got nerfed 6 months ago with the price hike.  Either people paid ahead for premium and deeds or people are being even tighter with their money now.  This allows much less money in the system to be recycled.  Wurm has always had a very tight monetary system, made worse when money is not being spent. 

This seems to be an attempt to allow a little more money into the system with hope that some new players might benefit (unlikely as established players will likely farm more than a new player can).  There likely is a possiblity that it can impact silver payout on traders.

I still think this is a good trial to spread the economy a little, I hope that it works even though I am sceptical.

Well trader outcome took a blow after the price hike for 2 obvious reasons, the first is that silver is more expensive, so people will buy less from the shop, the other is the huge ammount of focus that was given at that period with people wanting to get rid of them, and then wanting to have everyone get his own trader, and whatnot. So in the end, many people who didn't know about them, or never had one before, got into the whole hype and bought more. Also know of a few cases of people who bought more just to try and make up for the predicted lower windfall.

All in all, i think that with some tweaks to prevent abuse, this is a very good idea.

standing at a trader giving it some rosemary and nettles shouldnt be the moneymaking system.

Instead of consantrating on 'fixing' the traders, why not release something new just made for the new players?

i think maybe can be more better make the upkeep payed manual and move that conversion to the citizen or take the money from the upkeep in someway but dont know if is a good idea for sure someone can enjoy buy/sell but thats something that only mayor can relaize for each deed and time will make that happen but its no correct people using alt then take each hours the ammount of money reserve to other citizens.

standing at a trader giving it some rosemary and nettles shouldnt be the moneymaking system.

Instead of consantrating on 'fixing' the traders, why not release something new just made for the new players?

This is something new made for new players.

First of all its not only on traders, second of all, people with traders will keep with the old tactics, since up to 10 IRON is not really worth the trouble. (Maybe after a spring cleaning of the deed or something).

In fact it might be worth more to sell some of those items to people grinding alchemy.