Sign in to follow this  
sunsvortex

Beer Ingredients, Its Not Just A Good Idea, Its The Law.

Ok after seeing a few posted items about beer, and being a home brewer, I couldn't help but throw this out here.

Original German Beer Law -Reinheitsgebot

In the original text, the only ingredients that could be used in the production of beer were water, barley, and hops.

It has been replaced by the Provisional German Beer Law,  which allows constituent components prohibited in the Reinheitsgebot, such as yeast, wheat, malt and cane sugar, but which no longer allows unmalted barley.

Hops are added to beer to impart flavors but also act as a preservative, and their mention in the Reinheitsgebot meant to prevent alternative methods of preserving beer that had been used before the introduction of hops.

So for WURM the ingredients should be  

Hops

Water

Barley or Wheat, or Rye.

Since microorganisms were discovered much later than medieval times, open air fermentation would be used.

Special Note - *** Honey is used  to make Mead. While mead is quite tasty, its not beer, its mead and its ABV (Alcohol By Volume) is generally quite a bit higher than your standard beer. A good Belgium Triple will run about 13% to 17% ABV while just about any mead is going to be at least 25% ABV and up, at least the ones I sip on are, and generally run about 50% ish.***

Hops are a wondrous flowering bine (yes its a bine, not a vine) and part of the cannabaceae family. They need a trellis system to grow on and are often dried in an Oast House.

So in game terms in order to make beer we would need to build a house to hold / dry the hops in and need to be able to build a trellis system to grow the hops on. :D A maypole setup would work well or just a bunch of large poles in the ground for them to climb up would work.

Once ingredients are available we need to cook up some wort and place it into open barrels to allow fermentation.(Outside of any structure of course)

End result - BEER...mmmm   mmmm good. :wub:

Oh might as well add pumpkins as well for a good Oktoberfest Brew mmm like me some pumpkin beer. :D

Edited by sunsvortex

Beers, Ales, Meads, and any other alcoholic beverages have been suggested before and nevertheless a +1. 

its the only logical way of safely staying hydrated in the era that Wurm is based on...

Fun Fact:  The first Pilgrims to America almost died of dehydration because they couldn't find anything to make Beer/wine with.  They feared fresh water too much to drink it (and didn't know that boiling water made it safe to drink).

They finally settled on making a walnut ale...

Yes and maybe if we asked for ALE.....instead of beer this time??

Seriously its time to let the brewing begin!!!!

Yes and maybe if we asked for ALE.....instead of beer this time??

Seriously its time to let the brewing begin!!!!

hmm...we might get ginger ale instead  -its evil, and burns. last homemade ginger ale I had was like drinking vanilla flavored battery acid...it set me ablaze.

Would however be nice to be able to make ales and lagers - just set the barrels of wort in caves during winter and then come spring -tada -  lagered beer

Edited by sunsvortex