Sign in to follow this  
joedobo

Animal Hide To Leather, Fur Or Pelt.

You butcher hides from animal. Hide quality is explained by butchering skill, butcher knife quality, butcher knife skill and some luck. Animals have different weight hides. Any animal that currently drops fur, pelt, or leather would instead drop a hide. Hides can go in bulk bins.

You have a choice of converting that hide to any one of three things: leather, fur or pelt. Hide conversion success is explain by leatherworking skill, tool quality, and some luck. I don't' know if we need more then just lye as a conversion tool. Hide quality caps the processed product's quality.

Pelts:

- All pelts are crafted at the same size and volume. For larger animals you can get multiple pelts from a hide. You need at least a 1kg hide and 80% of that is wasted to make a 0.20 kg pelt (or 90% waste and 0.10 kg pelt, ect...). If you had a 3kg hide you could make 3 pelts. Reduce their volume significantly. 

- Pelts should be the most difficult item to make and require high LW to get high ql ones. A good system is one where any noob can easily make a low ql pelt but it requires a master LW with high ql Lye to occasionally make 90+ ql.

- The trouble with pelts in bins is a player can too easily repair them. This idea stops the pelt splitting issues we've seen in the past. I'd like it if undamaged pelts can go in bins.

Fur:

- You get one fur per a hide. Its weight varies based on the hide weight. Waste factor should be small or be non-existent.

- This the second in line for difficulty. Like pelts, its easy to make low ql but hard to make 90+ql. Perhaps make it a little easier to get the 90+ ql.

- Who cares about furs, right? well just because fur is only use for beds now doesn't mean it won't have other uses later.

- Furs can go in bulk bins.

Leather:

- You get one leather per a hide. Its weight varies based on hide weight. Waste factor should be small or be non-existent.

- This is the easiest to get good quality. Quality output is easy to make low ql and harder to make higher. A master LW using high ql Lye should be able to consistently make high ql leathers.

- Leathers can go in bulk bins.

Why? Because this would make it so there is less waste, more choices, and I believe its even realistic.

edit*  added "Hide quality caps the processed product's quality."

Edited by joedobo
  • Like 1

I absolutely love the idea of adding pelts to Leather creation as it would give more to Leather Workers, Pelts are ok, I'm not all excited for them. As for Leather creation, it does not seem any more different then what we have currently in place at the moment. With a some very good luck you can get some good quality Hides to use for Leather, your suggestion for Leather creation is the same as it is now, a Master Tanner with high quality Lye, has a near perfect chance at high quality Leather from high quality Hides.

I like the pelts suggestion very much though, but unfortunately I will have to say no to any changes to the way Hides are handled until Leather creation is fixed to how it was, then I would be all for Pelts and Furs creation in the method described.

Also I will add that even with high Butchering skill, Knife quality, ect, it is still a bit difficult to acquire high quality Leather in amounts that would satisfy the Master Tanner who has the ability to use them.

Edited by Shrimpiie

No, this would not make it realistic, do you understand that fur hide and pelt are chemically different in their structure. and leather does come from hide, but the pelts having the ql they do is just fine the way it is, i do not support this idea at all. 

-1 for the fur idea too unrealistic also too much work for a pelt 

not realistic.......Weird because fur, pelt, and leather are all products you make from animal hide with tanning methods. It seems pretty realistic to me. You'd never put a raw animal hide on your bed or try and buff glowing hot metal (both of these happen in Wurm). Google "cowhide throw" if you want to see a interesting Fur like product. Not that I care about that anyway. I'd just like to stop garbaging low ql pelts and countless furs.

Pelts hard to get......Yes, this would make it harder to get pelts but as it is right now I'm garbaging anything less than 95 ql.

Keep in mind that slight tweaks in the probability outcomes could change things so it was very easy to get 90+ ql pelts. For example, at 10 butchering skill you on average get 90 ql hides every butcher and with 10 LW skill you on average get 90+ ql products. So simple changes in the math relationship can create outcomes that are way to easy even my "easy button" standards.

oh, yea. I don't have the LW skill to make these 90 ql products I've mentioned. My butchering skill is almost 50. I'd likely have to trade with LW to get good pelts. It be cool to trade a pile of hides for a good pelt or something along those lines.

Furs and pelts are vastly separate to hide that creates leather, as the only real process for them is cleaning, as opposed to tanning and creating leather. I think the system works the way it should atm.

Why? Because this would make it so there is less waste, more choices, and I believe its even realistic.

I find it funny that you use realism in your arguments to push for your suggestion, yet you have this "WAR Wurmians Against Realism" in your signature.

Furry crocodiles? Nah, I prefer more uses for fur and low ql pelts instead of this.

• Like 2

... a Master Tanner with high quality Lye, has a near perfect chance at high quality Leather from high quality Hides. ...

This is not at all true for me. 

Leatherworking skill 98, lye ql80+, hides ql90+, about 10% of the hides turn out as leather ql90+, the vast majority of my hides gives leather of lower quality, 20-40 ql below the ql of the hide. This is on Epic (Serenity).

This is not at all true for me. 

Leatherworking skill 98, lye ql80+, hides ql90+, about 10% of the hides turn out as leather ql90+, the vast majority of my hides gives leather of lower quality, 20-40 ql below the ql of the hide. This is on Epic (Serenity).

93lw 30ql lye I got 75-90ql leather from 90ql hides last time I had them.

LW skill 98, 24 kgs of ql88 hide, lye ql 83, just now made into leather:

1 piece of leather is ql88, the rest is randomly between ql62 and ql81.