Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

Participate In Making The Next Wurm Trailer?

There is currently a timelapse command you can use, it takes jpeg screenshots though.

Guess its a bit hard to keep an alt completely still and running over resets and such though.

Interesting.  I did not know that.  So they've already shown *some* interest.  I agree, keeping them in exact same position for a week or month, as things are, nearly impossible.  And no ability for above ground vantage points.  And apparently, from the OP, Jpeg compression is unacceptable (any compression)........... if a HQ end-product is to be expected.

It would be cool to see the sun rise and set in time-lapse...especially if all shadows are enabled.

Yeah, i guess you could build a scaffolding to stick the alt on, but yeah, can only really see it being possible keeping that alt around for a day or two.

Thinking further ahead, perhaps to the next trailer after this upcoming one.  Perhaps the Devs could add a 'time-lapse camera' feature to the client that would allow people to record days, weeks, or even months of building / landscaping / animal husbandry / farming activities.

It may not be too difficult to implement using dummy character accounts (with major restrictions to avoid problems).  Most of the code is already in place???

Here is what I envision:

*Feature accessible only by special alt character accounts that are skill limited, or have skill leveling disabled.  (only purpose is to log onto client and record video.)

*High vantage point option (camera angle 45 degree from air, flying enabled)

*High vantage point recording only available when within X tiles from the deed they are citizen of.  (to avoid abuse, spying on PvP, etc.)

*Character would be invisible and would not be able to interact with the world.

*Low vantage points/ground level recording allowed off-deed.

*Some sort of '/lockviewpoint' command that will lock the exact position and angle of the 'camera character', so as to not accidentally move position halfway through a week long project, for example.  Perhaps multiple saved viewpoints, with load/save.  The sky is the limit, literally.

*Perhaps a time-lapse utility to take snapshots as BMP (uncompressed) and string them into AVI file.  (3rd party utilities exist, I'm sure, but if it could be in the client itself, it could render a 1080p BMP once every minute without requiring a full blown 2nd client open on the persons computer...wasting GPU resources.)   

*Perhaps this could be used to generate revenue for the game.  I know I wouldn't mind paying a few extra bucks for a cool feature.  (even though we'd be helping advertise, so it's a win-win either way.)

The reason I thought of this was because as I was reading through this forum thread, I was like "Hey!  I really wish I had a camera setup over the last 30 days, about 10 stories off the ground, in a corner of my plot, taking pictures the whole time, cause that would look awesome!

That's my idea of the day.  Enjoy it.

There is Such a character...... cough < GM > cough.