Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

Participate In Making The Next Wurm Trailer?

Hello Wurm Community, Time to make an Official Wurm Trailer!

The brief

I want to make a new trailer for Wurm, but need your help to make it as great as possible.

At the moment we do not have much in the way of gameplay footage from the period after patch 1.1

So this is my attempt at a general round up for collecting player made material and a chance for you and your clan to get featured in the next Wurm trailer!

What footage are we interested in?

Some examples:

*PVP and PVE with many participants

*Shots of villages with activity going on

*Raid parties

*People(preferably full crews) using the big ships, (footage of a wurm player fleet would be awesome!)

*Footage of community events in game

We are also open for videos that you think displays aspects of the game that makes Wurm great.

We are not going to use any material that is offensive or damaging for the player/game experience.

Some guidelines for shooting good ingame footage

If you want to record new footage from a fitting activity and sent it to us.

Here are some guidelines to help you get good quality.

*Do not use your view like a player looking/ moving around when recording.

*Always disable interface with F10 and the "hover outlines" so that they are not visible in the video.

*Think, I am a camera, and set up shots so that you only need to move sideways or forward, without using mouse movement.

*Being encumbered in wurm works well if you want to have a slower/smoother "camera" movement.

*Think about the movement of the environment, for an interesting video you need things moving/ going on.

*If you are a group, think about using emotes to make for variation and dynamics.

*Keep it short, I cant handle videos with hours of gameplay. Prioritize getting some nice short shots highlighting what you want to show.

Technical tips

*If you are using a program like FRAPS, you usually get the option of automatically splitting the recording in preset sizes. Limit file size to under 2 gigabyte.

*Set video capture in your recording program to 30 fps.

*Use as high quality game settings as possible when recording the video, but remember it is demanding. So ultimately use another hard drive then the one you are playing from, to record to.

*Only record footage that is in 1920x1080p or minimum 1280x720p resolution. Other graphic settings, not as crucial. (Depending on what you are shooting)

*The FPS you get ingame(once you have started recording), is the fps that will show in the video, you need at least 24fps for ok results. (Make a quick test recording in game, adjust graphic settings until you get at least a stable 24 fps while recording)

*Do not compress/render the footage before sending it to us. I am going to have to compress/render it after editing, therefore loosing much quality if it was already done once before. (Only compress original video file with Winzip or Winrar if necessary)

Sending footage to us

Use the service www.wetransfer.com where you can upload and send up to 2 gigabytes of files per email. Send it with short description and contact information to johan@wurmonline.com

If you need a different solution, we are setting up an ftp server at the moment, just PM me and I will give you the details.

Im sorry for this wall of text but thank those of you who are still reading.

Hoping for some great videos and creativity from the lands of Wurm!

Cincerely

/RedBaron

Edited by RedBaron_Johan
  • Like 1

*PVP and PVE with many participants

*Shots of villages with activity going on

This is where I lost the interest.

Why arent there any realistic trailers, showing what the game really is?

you know what i mean..

Also a tip to people who will send some footage.

Raw files on fraps are massive, so it's good to convert them to .mp4 or a smaller file size with Sony Vegas or other program.

Edited by silakka
  • Like 1

Make sure the specs of your computer are visible so people can see what it takes to run the game well and look nice ;)

Edit out the buggy parapets that show as wooden walls from a distance, invisible fences and the items that poof at certain angles :)

Edit: I love wurm but surely fixing bugs THEN making a trailer would be a better way to go about it. If I'm digging and I turn slightly all items/animals/structures poof, turn again and they will reappear, at a distance stone and Iron parapets show as wooden walls, has been reported several times yet never fixed. Soon there will be another graphics update (maps, new creatures etc) will have yet even more content to show off in a trailer, so why make the trailer now?

Please explain it to me because I'm struggling to see why we need a trailer now BEFORE newer content is added in

Edited by Shads
  • Like 1

you know what i mean..

Also a tip to people who will send some footage.

Raw files on fraps are massive, so it's good to convert them to .mp4 or a smaller file size with Sony Vegas or other program.

Yes I know you did not read to the end of the message, do NOT convert the files, leave that to me or we are going to get to much quality loss.

Edited by RedBaron_Johan

Yes I know you did not read to the end of the message, do NOT convert the files, leave that to me or we are going to get to much quality loss.

There is no quality loss if you do it right.

I wouldnt give this suggestion without being 100% sure.

But if you dont want to take any risks, it's good to just keep them raw and wait ~10hours to upload on the internet.

I read every post fully before commenting

Edited by silakka

I would be willing to organise a fake tournament where we could get some nice view on the event sides of wurm, if i get enough assistance

With my internet upload speed, uploading 2Gb file would take like 10 or 20 hours. :P

EDIT: Sklo, i'm full up for it!

Edited by Samool
  • Like 1

Hi redbaron, 

I got videos of summer fayre competitions and the killing of avatar of magnaron but they all already converted as HD videos for youtube. I don't have the raw files anymore, they fatten my harddisk :3 ..

http://www.youtube.com/user/rozedragon

If any of them useful, feel free to grab em.

Should be able to get some nice video from the upcoming Winter Impalong, assuming the lag isn't too great like last year. *Shudders*

With my internet upload speed, uploading 2Gb file would take like 10 or 20 hours. :P

EDIT: Sklo, i'm full up for it!

Yes, unfortunately I have the same problem. I live in a rural area with a *very* low internet bandwidth. Won't even think about uploading more than a few hundred megabytes of data. My "Creatures Video" had a size of only 200 MB and it took about 5 hours to upload.

So, maybe we should have some other option to send the footage - as I would love to participate ;)

There is no quality loss if you do it right.

I wouldnt give this suggestion without being 100% sure.

But if you dont want to take any risks, it's good to just keep them raw and wait ~10hours to upload on the internet.

I read every post fully before commenting

Of course you get quality loss, that is what the compression/ render process of the video is all about. Similar process as saving a jpg with medium quality setting from a high resolution tiff  image file.  Making it smaller = contains less information.

Codecs make good jobs of getting ok quality at ok size, compressing/ rendering them twice is never a good idea if you want to keep the end quality in mind.

Artifacts of this process if done well, can be hard to see. But becomes very evident once it is not, or done to many times.

All of your suggested footage for this is based on lots of people in one place, all being very active and doing exciting things. This is not very indicative of Wurm's most common nature. I would suggest that timelapse videos would be a better way of getting across Wurm's best features :P

No point pretending it's going to be some fast-paced action-packed game when 99% of the time it isn't - you'll just get a whole lot more people joining for less than the first 5 hours ;).

• Like 6

Make sure the specs of your computer are visible so people can see what it takes to run the game well and look nice ;)

Edit out the buggy parapets that show as wooden walls from a distance, invisible fences and the items that poof at certain angles :)

Edit: I love wurm but surely fixing bugs THEN making a trailer would be a better way to go about it. If I'm digging and I turn slightly all items/animals/structures poof, turn again and they will reappear, at a distance stone and Iron parapets show as wooden walls, has been reported several times yet never fixed. Soon there will be another graphics update (maps, new creatures etc) will have yet even more content to show off in a trailer, so why make the trailer now?

Please explain it to me because I'm struggling to see why we need a trailer now BEFORE newer content is added in

Ok just so you know. I am not a coder, I can work in parallel without them being hindered in the slightest from fixing bugs.

There is nothing in the new content that is essential to make a trailer. Better to have a decent amount of time to collect and edit video material to make it as great as possible.

• Like 2

All of your suggested footage for this is based on lots of people in one place, all being very active and doing exciting things. This is not very indicative of Wurm's most common nature. I would suggest that timelapse videos would be a better way of getting across Wurm's best features :P

No point pretending it's going to be some fast-paced action-packed game when 99% of the time it isn't - you'll just get a whole lot more people joining for less than the first 5 hours ;).

Exactly!

bring the true nature out in a nice way.

Pretending has never been a way to attract anyone.

Just look at all the flashy nice trailers of every game, which turn out to be total opposite of the real gameplay.

Just look at all the flashy nice trailers of every game, which turn out to be total opposite of the real gameplay.

This isn't a problem for games where they simply need to get you to pay up front and the game can be a let-down. However as most players start Wurm as F2P and get a better idea of how the game really is before paying for it, we should have representative advertising.

There is going to be a mix of it all do not worry. What is on my wish list is what is accessible for the community, and what is hardest for me to get a hold of.

I am going to be shooting footage as well and getting great scenery and overview with GM flight is easy. But I do not know when villages and clans are meeting up, raiding and so on. That is what you guys know.

.. But I do not know when villages and clans are meeting up, raiding and so on. That is what you guys know.

join a raid call. some kingdoms do that ;)

Yes, unfortunately I have the same problem. I live in a rural area with a *very* low internet bandwidth. Won't even think about uploading more than a few hundred megabytes of data. My "Creatures Video" had a size of only 200 MB and it took about 5 hours to upload.

So, maybe we should have some other option to send the footage - as I would love to participate ;)

I am sorry but the only other way for you to send material (short of physically sending files on a usb stick) would still be uploading it, be it to an ftp server instead. But it would take about the same amount of time.

This is going to have to be one of those things that are very dependent on your internet bandwidth. As it is very dependent on high quality video = very big files.

Edit //Did I mention I enjoy the word "very" very much ;)

Edited by RedBaron_Johan

I believe there have been plenty of videos demonstrating the Freedom lifestyle. It will be a refreshing change to have something that demonstrates the other side to Wurm.

All of your suggested footage for this is based on lots of people in one place, all being very active and doing exciting things. This is not very indicative of Wurm's most common nature.

It might not be non stop action, but there is still a fast paced side to Wurm, which happens during PvP. There's going to be people out there who are interested in the PvP style wurm can deliver, so why not show them a trailer of it at its best?

A good example is the video recently posted in the news: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh3WOxNziE0

• Like 2

I would be willing to organise a fake tournament where we could get some nice view on the event sides of wurm, if i get enough assistance

Great! Looking forward to see what you can come up with! :)

Check out the Epic section "Epic PvP Videos" thread, lot of good content there.  Edvinas makes good videos.  

Just be careful though about how much PvP you show because it's not always a daily thing.  Blasting a trailer with non-step combat is going to only probably let people down when they actually arrive and start playing.  

Edited by Postes
  • Like 2

Ok just so you know. I am not a coder, I can work in parallel without them being hindered in the slightest from fixing bugs.

There is nothing in the new content that is essential to make a trailer. Better to have a decent amount of time to collect and edit video material to make it as great as possible.

Okay, the new content in the update may not be essential but surely new graphics/mobs would be a nice addition to the trailer, or showing whats coming in the near future?

Something like Tich's timelapse of how she made a cathedral is great tho not everyone can both build and record like she did I'm afraid. So I am thinking some cooperate work between players and devs or GMs and devs will do. It doesn't have to be a real project, as long as it depict how you can 'move mountain and build whatever you want' in wurm.

My

of selfmade Wurm Online Videos, mostly about my town (Zwergenbucht) on Desertion. There should be some interesting scenes in there, feel free to use them. Esp the video about the cog could be usefull as its without the interface and we got 10 people (and a tamed champion rat) pushing and pulling.

It is all in 1080p and high quality, also sending you a new video via wetransfer atm.

Something like Tich's timelapse of how she made a cathedral is great tho not everyone can both build and record like she did I'm afraid. So I am thinking some cooperate work between players and devs or GMs and devs will do. It doesn't have to be a real project, as long as it depict how you can 'move mountain and build whatever you want' in wurm.

I love that timelapse! :)

Going to check out your video as well, though if it is uploaded to youtube then it probably already has been through to much compression.