Sign in to follow this  
joedobo

[Lock Please] Who Else Wishes It Was Easier To Reach Top Floor?

I really want to set up my craft area on my house's top floor. Although, the thought of climbing up and down 10+ stories deters me. Even if we had ramps I'd still have to spend a decent amount of time getting up and down. My intention here is talk about this and make a suggestion out of it later.

Who else has wished it was easier/quicker to go from bottom to top and visa versa?

"No elevators [other stuff]"... Hey you, please keep in mind Wurm has magic! Just putting this out there as a preemptive statement.

Edited by joedobo

The tile warps that UO has would be awesome.  Maybe something a priest could enchant?  Basically you "connect" two tiles and when you step on one, you warp to the other, if it's in the same building.  

I agree, right clicking to climb the ladder is too tedious.  I had beds on the second floor, and I had to put beds on the ground floor now because I don't like climbing the ladders.  

• Like 2

I really want to set up my craft area on my house's top floor. Although, the thought of climbing up and down 10+ stories deters me.

Easy solution, just make your house two stories high :D

A keybind for climb up/down would make this pretty simple rather than a load of clicking.

Tile warping could result in some interesting PvP scenarios...

• Like 1

stairs/ramps     I'm assuming these will be used to traverse one level at a time. You could position stairs to constantly walk up levels. To me that is slightly better than the ladder but I'd prefer something quicker.

@ Horden    I do only use the first two stories of my 11 story house. And I do this only because getting to other levels is a pain.

Been suggested as a way to move bulk items to upper floors.

As for the case in point. I think just having the option to build consecutive stairs so that you keep climbing floor after floor by just walking forward, will improve this. although for some towers, the hand ladder will be the only option.

I don't think we should go about doing magical solutions for this. Only a minority of wurmians are priests, so it would be kind of awkward if all houses could have a magical means of reaching upper floors. Unless you'd need a priest to enchant them. Which might be kinda weird, specially if you build the "portal" but never enchant it, although IMO, more reasonable.

Easy solution, just make your house two stories high :D

A keybind for climb up/down would make this pretty simple rather than a load of clicking.

CLIMB_UP Player movement For ladders in multi-floor houses

CLIMB_DOWN Player movement For ladders in multi-floor houses

Blink fighters

• Like 1

if there was 10 openings above each other maybe some detecting code would you let you right click and "climb to tenth floor"

Edited by Aum
  • Like 3

could be a sorcery spell to make the portals, no need to restrict it to priests =)

• Like 1

Being able to build 10 or 15 stories up isn't so cool when its inconvenient to actually use the upper stories.

keybind     Um, notice I didn't say I don't like navigating the menu over and over? This doesn't make climbing up and down 10+ stories any less annoying. Now if I could set my ladder to go straight to 10th (or any other chosen number) story and that happens in less then a second...yes!

I wonder if climb speed was chosen because of game mechanic limitations or realism to simulate climbing. Considering how fast you can fall I"m guessing you go up just as fast and not cause technical problems. Technically what is the fastest we can go and what opinions are there on how fast we should go?

Pulleys     I guess it kinda makes sense. The mechanical engineering and horsepower to lift very heavy loads straight up 15 stores isn't exactly simple. I'd prefer a magic solution because that doesn't have to use Wogic. Maybe we could use enchanted pulleys.

Magic options:

- Only require one or some of the construction mats be enchanted. These mats can be sold on merchants.

- Make it like mailboxes where a priests visits and enchants it.

- Requiring that a priest is always around to make this work. (imo, This is a not good as it would would servery limit who can use it.)

Edited by joedobo

I see this as the same requests for portals to all other servers.  The game is set in a primitive time, and we have to live with those limitations.  That said, there have been some good suggestions here to make it a bit easier, I like Aum's idea the best so far.  I don't want to see some magic made up every time something is a little difficult.

I don't want to see some magic made up every time something is a little difficult.

Isn't there a difference between making something easier versus trying to make something underutilized more user friendly?  Aum's idea is good if we could set a ladder to go to a floor by default and increase the vertical speed to get there in less then a second.

I'd like to point out that you prefer Wurm follows a primitive realistic simulation model. That doesn't mean that is what the game is about. imo, Wurm is all the above. I guess that causes the problem.  Magic levitating tiles or house teleports goes well with magic fantasy theme but conflicts with primitive realistic simulation.

Simply walking up would be nice; however, when you get down to it, using the keybinds is probably approx the same speed.

Now I can see the difference when one is say using a yoyo.

Yes, please please pretty please bring on stairs you can just walk up.

• Like 1

I don't see how stairs will make it that much faster to go 10 storey up. Just like real life unless you really limited on space it would be inconvenient to make production building in several levels.

The tile warps that UO has would be awesome.  Maybe something a priest could enchant?  Basically you "connect" two tiles and when you step on one, you warp to the other, if it's in the same building.  

+1

Nice idea 

Spiral stairs with a right click option for the level / floor  you want to go to.

some more input.

+1

I don't see how stairs will make it that much faster to go 10 storey up. Just like real life unless you really limited on space it would be inconvenient to make production building in several levels.

At the moment you need to either right click on the ladder and then wait for [serverlag] then select climb up and wait for [serverlag] or at best hover mouse over the ladder, click keyboard shortcut and wait for [serverlag]. Bear in mind some people aren't in Europe or the US so server latency can be 300ms+ just because of geographical location.

x10 floors its pretty wearisome. Just being able to run up stairs might not be technically "faster" but it's a lot less aiming, pressing and clicking, especially if the stairs are arranged well.

Spiral stairs with a right click option for the level / floor  you want to go to.

some more input.

+1

Ladders register how high they go in one streak, and give you an option when rightclicking to climb to that particular storey, although I do dig some staircases for that mansion feel

Things needs to be changed soon or later. We will get a solution...

Staircases....

Edited by Sklo:D

Stairs         This won't make things much better. Keybinds and climbing ladders will be almost as quick. And ladders are easier to arrange, one right on top of another. You'll need to navigate stairs. With Ladders you look straight, line mouse of with a vertical wood part, hold down keybind. To be honest stairs might be even worse.

I'd prefer a levitating floor tile (can travers 10 stores in under a second) over stairs. It actually makes a lot more sense for moving carts up and down. The ability to drive our carts up to other levels hasn't been dev commented, iirc. I'd prefer ramps more than stairs. It wouldn't surprise me that if ramps come dragging carts up ladders gets disabled. Dev may not do this because almost no one will make ladders afterwards.

Both Speed and convenience is needed so this problem.