Sign in to follow this  
junkkmann

Pavilions

i think that pavilions would be a good addition to the game, set up a temporary shelter for imp fests, get togethers, etc.

cloth in addition to some shafts

forges, beds, wooden fences, carts and now pavilions?

I mean it's cool, but it will be just an another item decaying in the background.

Might be nice to have like a tent like structure that uses cloth tailoring and offers protection from animals and decay. It would be a nice way for the new player to get an established safe place set up fast and allow them to camp out while they work on their starting skills along with the uses the op has suggested. 

Personally view pavilions and tents as being similar to regular housing. Same permissions and protection with the walls being weaker.

Except each wall can be either erected from or collapsed into something created from cloth squares, shafts, and rope (more parts?). Probably roofs too; although it could just use an autoroof. This item would then be portable by players or vehicle.

No ladder openings so no multistory tents; however, cloth walls should be compatible with wood and stone housing.

• Like 1

Add portable ovens, altars and smelting pots, and you could actually have traveling tradesmen on wurm.

Like traveling to a area, setting up a tent, portable oven with smelting pot (this smelting pot would be like a addon to the portable oven to allow faster heating of metal items), and plying their trade there for a few days, before moving to the next area.

Portable altars so priests could travel around to do sermons, conversions and even enchants without having to worry about the other guy not having a altar for them to regain favor if needed). I can see myself doing this!

• Like 2

Portable items would have to possess some inherent disadvantage(s) in comparison to the immobile versions: be it capacity, ql of smelted metals, ql of cooked food, fuel capacity, etc

Add portable ovens and smelting pots,

This already exists in the form of campfires.  Can be used anywhere to do mediocre cooking and smithing.

• Like 1

This already exists in the form of campfires.  Can be used anywhere to do mediocre cooking and smithing.

Yeah, and takes a year and a half to heat up stuff, and go out pretty quickly, plus its pretty much a pain in the ass to make one of high ql.

So yeah, i know why i suggested portable ovens, maybe you should learn to play the game before trying to teach others.

Portable items would have to possess some inherent disadvantage(s) in comparison to the immobile versions: be it capacity, ql of smelted metals, ql of cooked food, fuel capacity, etc

Obviously, capacity would be lesser for the portable ovens (probably same capacity as a campfire, which is less than half of a forge if i remember correctly).

Also, if you notice, i already suggested a disadvantage to it for smithing, which is the necessity of adding a smelting pot.

For cooking, i don't see the need to add a disadvantage, maybe add a bit of extra dificulty. But then again, a campfire has none, afaik.

Portable altars could require re-blessing after setting it up.

Yeah, and takes a year and a half to heat up stuff, and go out pretty quickly, plus its pretty much a pain in the ass to make one of high ql.

So yeah, i know why i suggested portable ovens, maybe you should learn to play the game before trying to teach others.

Obviously, capacity would be lesser for the portable ovens (probably same capacity as a campfire, which is less than half of a forge if i remember correctly).

Also, if you notice, i already suggested a disadvantage to it for smithing, which is the necessity of adding a smelting pot.

For cooking, i don't see the need to add a disadvantage, maybe add a bit of extra dificulty. But then again, a campfire has none, afaik.

Portable altars could require re-blessing after setting it up.

I dont see the point for "portable" forges or ovens.. thats what the campfire is. If its too slow to heat up or something, make a suggestion towards fixing the campfire rather than adding wierd items that i'm not sure ever existed lol.

No reason to have an issue with campfires, unless you have to do some serious cooking for smithing.. in which case you might as well just build a forge / oven ;)

I dont see the point for "portable" forges or ovens.. thats what the campfire is. If its too slow to heat up or something, make a suggestion towards fixing the campfire rather than adding wierd items that i'm not sure ever existed lol.

No reason to have an issue with campfires, unless you have to do some serious cooking for smithing.. in which case you might as well just build a forge / oven ;)

You're not very smart are you?

Sorry if i offend, but the whole point was about having a migrating trader thing, which would mean by your "just build a forge/oven" idea we'd be littering the whole map with those, since THEY'RE NOT PORTABLE!

As for campfires they don't need fixing, they work as intended. Only issue is that making a high ql campfire (which would be highly desirable requires luck twice (making a high ql kindling and then making the actual campfire) which would be replaced with a portable oven (which are nothing out of the ordinary and can be done to be similar to a BBQ or a brazier).

I mean, being a traveling tradesman, and not being able to work properly, kind of defeats the whole point. And using campfires to smith is, well, stupid. Not even in the earlies times of smithing and smelting would they use normal campfires.

Also just remembered a nice restriction to camp ovens/stoves (yeah, been saying oven, and i manly meant stove, sometimes these particulars elude me xp) These could only work on peat or charcoal.

You're not very smart are you?

Not sure where this comes in to play at all, other than just  an immature defensive response from an assumed personal attack because someone disagreed with you. (it wasn't one fyi). Maybe it could also be because you lack a better argument.

Sorry if i offend, but the whole point was about having a migrating trader thing, which would mean by your "just build a forge/oven" idea we'd be littering the whole map with those, since THEY'RE NOT PORTABLE!

I know they aren't portable, as they shouldn't be. I disagree with the items you think your traveling trader needs, that is all.

As for campfires they don't need fixing, they work as intended. Only issue is that making a high ql campfire (which would be highly desirable requires luck twice (making a high ql kindling and then making the actual campfire) which would be replaced with a portable oven (which are nothing out of the ordinary and can be done to be similar to a BBQ or a brazier).

I mean, being a traveling tradesman, and not being able to work properly, kind of defeats the whole point. And using campfires to smith is, well, stupid. Not even in the earlies times of smithing and smelting would they use normal campfires.

You are absolutely right, a traveling smith would seem  more like a traveling village idiot using campfires to heat his work. Know what they did instead? A FORGE. One in a town or castle where they were staying. As for something similar to a BBQ, I haven't seen or heard of anything in ancient times resembling any of the grills I can easily move around, and If i had the option to lug one around, or just cook on a campfire.. i'd use the campfire.  :lol:  Especially since there are so many options to cook my food in on the campfire. Oh and I agree, campfires are working fine ;)

Also just remembered a nice restriction to camp ovens/stoves (yeah, been saying oven, and i manly meant stove, sometimes these particulars elude me xp) These could only work on peat or charcoal.

Seems like you thought hard about your idea, i'd suggest making your own thread about it and seeing what everyone thinks, good luck.

Oh and btw, since you mentioned using these new items in impalongs and events like them. If someone was going to be doing THAT MUCH work for an event, and during an event.. i'm pretty confident they would still use a real forge / oven so they didn't have to deal with the limitations or negative effects that would come with those items. I know i would. Also, has an impalong ever been held outside of a deed? Like, somewhere random, and not a place prepared to host the event?

Anyway, since i forgot to mention it in my first post. +1 to OP and any temporary housing like tents or pavilions. Either super high decay, or after 24-72 hours ANYONE can take it down and assume control of it.

Sorry for derailing with the arguments. You can ask a mod to wipe out any posts you think shouldn't be in the thread to clean it up some ;)

• Like 1