Sign in to follow this  
4neofclubs

September 11Th

Where were you when you first heard about this attack? Also anyone who has any pictures, videos, stories etc regarding 9/11 please post them here.   I know many wurmians arent american, and I know that many countries go through terrorist attacks on the regular so please dont judge me for posting about this one paticular event, its the only one that has influenced me enough talk about. Thanks in advance.

I was at school in second grade, our teacher told us what happened and we had a silent minute.

Couple years out of high school, working at the local lumber mill and taking classes at a community college.

No classes or lab that day, so I was sleeping in. Was awoken between the 2nd and 3rd plane by family.

Must had been in 4th grade or something (four years into primary). Teacher told us something happened, and we were all allowed to leave. I think class for the rest of the week was cancelled.

I was 6 years old at that time and I was at home, watching news channel on TV.

I didn't understood too much at that time, but I understood that lot of people died, which made me very sad.

Later on, in the evening, when my brother came home, I remember that we bought flowers and candles, went to USA Embassy in our country and lit the candles in the memory of the people that died during attack.

May them, and all victims of terrorism all over the world, rest in peace.

• Like 1

Not trying to troll or come across as an ###### but why is it that 12(?) years on this terrorist attack is still being talked about as if it's big news.

I understand that alot of people died but c'mon, 12 years is a long time. I'm living in Ireland and for the past 4-5days 9/11 stories, movies, recordings etc have been on everyday, getting annoying now at this point. Isn't about time everyone allowed the families that lost people in the attacks to move on? I personally wouldn't want it on tv every year, and I certainly wouldn't need reminding of such a horrible event. 12yrs on and not affected by 9/11 in the slightest yet I still remember the day, I was 6 at the time and watching tv, flicking through the news and the live news came on.

R.I.P to all tnose that lost their lives in 9/11

• Like 1

I was in the lounge with a couple of friends, was watching TV when my friends mum came in and switched it to the live news. I was then ushered outside to go play because i was quite young.

RIP to those who passed away during 9/11 and my condolences to those affected by it.

I agree with shads We don't make a annually big deal out of everything like the 9/11 attacks and that's helped the world get past the events so why are we still remembering this event do we not want to get over it or what? seems like the world wants to act like a teenager and feel that nothing can change.

Anyways, I was young and in the hospital for xrays and I remember getting pissed off because the doctors wouldn't let us watch t.v. they thought the younger kids would get scared by it.

I was ill off school and I used to watch the news, so I pretty much started watching coverage from just after the first plane hit. I was very young and it was very surreal to watch on TV live a plane crashing into a building, and then two huge buildings fall down. Watched the coverage for days.

It's probably one of the things, along with the death and coverage of Diana, Princess of Wales' funeral that got me into politics / international relations (which is what my degree was in) and also journalism / current events (and I am currently training to be a journalist).

I was surprised to learn the extent that 9/11 has changed the way the world thinks, especially when it comes to international relations. Academic discourse on the subject totally changes after 9/11 and everyone started worrying about security. I hate to be dramatic and say that 9/11 marked a change in the way the world thinks but honestly the effects it had reach far and wide - especially in politics / IR.

I don't think that terrorism itself is as big or new an issue as governments around the world say it is. I think it's a convenient scapegoat for improving surveillance technologies to deal with other kinds of threat to them. Certainly terrorism didn't start on September 11th, 2001. In fact there have been many (successful and unsuccessful) plots in the past which are still remembered today.

In the United Kingdom, the most obvious example is November 5th, which remembers the day when guy fawkes tried to bomb the House of Lords (part of Parliament in the United Kingdom) with the King inside it. That was more than 400 years ago and we have annual festivities involving fireworks, bonfires etc. If you have any doubt as to the scale of terrorist capability 400 years ago, watch the below video to get an idea of how big the attack would have been had it been successful.

It would have been the 9/11 of the 17th Century.

They rebuilt a replica House of Lords (as it was at the time) and filled it with as much gunpowder as Guy Fawkes did. This is the scale of what was avoided - taking into account that it would have been in the center of London surrounded by other buildings. Would have blown windows out for almost the whole city.

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFytcsA9mU8

If you're unfamiliar with the general story, simple explanation here.

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMNOnYxhpOY

Legit story.

Back in 2001 when I was like 10 or 11 my family won a trip to the USA at McDonald's in one of their Monopoly competitions, it was a huge surprise since we practically never ate at McDonald's (like less than 5 times in my entire childhood) and thought it was a joke or something initially - anyways we get on a plane from Perth to Sydney on Sep 10th and when we arrive at Sydney airport expecting to catch our flight to LAX when we see pictures of some wierd building on fire on all of the screens and everyone staring; unfortunately USA had shut down all of their airports and we were unable to get to the USA in time. In the end we got a free trip to Sydney which was cool I guess.

Edited by Gavin
  • Like 1

Legit story.

Back in 2001 when I was like 10 or 11 my family won a trip to the USA at McDonald's in one of their Monopoly competitions, it was a huge surprise since we practically never ate at McDonald's (like less than 5 times in my entire childhood) and thought it was a joke or something initially - anyways we get on a plane from Perth to Sydney on Sep 10th and when we arrive at Sydney airport expecting to catch our flight to LAX when we see pictures of some wierd building on fire on all of the screens and everyone staring; unfortunately USA had shut down all of their airports and we were unable to get to the USA in time. In the end we got a free trip to Sydney which was cool I guess.

Haha similar-ish story here. We had a holiday booked departing on September 22nd 2001... suffice to say after seeing all that happened on Sept 11th it was a bit scary. Airport security was crazy. Police with machine guns and everything walking around. At least the holiday was only to Spain not the US or something.

Shads the attacks on 9/11 changed the world as we knew it. Do I get tired of hearing about it yes but it is a turning point in history.

On september  11th, 1973 i wasnt even born. At this day the democratically elected president of Chile, Salvador Allende, was overthrown by a millitary coup, backed by the US-regime. The power goes to a military dictator Augusto Pinochet, who during the following years was responsible for political prosecution, torture and murder of thousand of chileans.

On semptember 11th, 2001, i came back from school and switched on the TV to watch star trek NG as usualy. It took me some time to realize that the pictures in TV were not some kind of messed up star trek episode, but real.

Edited by Klinge
  • Like 1

On september  11th, 1973 i wasnt even born. At this day the democratically elected president of Chile, Salvador Allende, was overthrown by a millitary coup, backed by the US-regime.

Not sure why this is relevant at all, but the US did not back the coup. They tried everything to stop his election but they played no part in the coup whatsoever.

. Isn't about time everyone allowed the families that lost people in the attacks to move on?

Maybe the families want their lost loved ones to be honored?

On April 15th 1989 96 football fans died and 766 others were injured in England because of incompetent police and rescue workers in a horrible stadium disaster. Those 96 still get remembered and honoured on a daily basis, and the families and relatives don't seem to want this to stop. I guess the relatives of those who died on September 11th 2001 feel the same way.

• Like 1

I was in a lunatic asylum. Remember Kyoto and the treaty you did not sign? I laughed my insane head off ;)

N tower, 74 floor. I remember the bastard hit. I just swallowed as many gems as I could grab and shimmied down the drainpipe, Gave me a fireball flattop I still wear today. Others weren't so lucky I hear.

Spent the next week shooting a cat litter tray with mixed gravel. Pawned the lot for my next fix of Femlax. Femlax. Femlax - Real men use Femlax. This is becoming expensive. Damn Ruskies. Lock n load.

• Like 1