Sign in to follow this  
Wox

Maps1

An option to know where i  am using the compass sure will be nice.

Something like how you do on real life, you by example withdraw the map that will be for default pointing north, then you use your compass to get the direction to 2 know points on the terrain and then triangulate your position on the map.

Idk if that will be hard to implement, but maybe is something that can please both sides, you don´t have an auto i´m here gps point, but yo have a semi realistic way of triangulate your position looking at the map and the surrounding area using the compass.

The anti-map folks always try to say how easy it is to find your way around using landmarks. Well, If it was easy then there attempts at education would have been used and people would have stop asking for maps. The simple fact is people didn't stop asking, kept complaining, and where only satisfied by highly detailed maps. This is good evidences that such a statement is not as easy done nor is there majority support for their map related views.

in summary, don't listen to those trying to limit the usefulness of the ingame map. Strive to introduce a map that rivals current community map because after all history has proven that is is in fact what most Wurm players want!

Actually.....some players had an advantage because of the hacked maps which caused many people to want the maps released.

That's how the last few server maps ended up being released so fast after the servers opened.

If the in game map is going to use the server dump then that won't be an issue again.

Edited by Protunia

Actually.....some players had an advantage because of the hacked maps which caused many people to want the maps released.

So in other words, the demand for a good map was so great that player(s) went to the effort of hacking client/data streams to make one. Also regardless of the presence of hacked map dump players continued to ask for maps and didn't stop asking till we got high detail versions.

Players did not stop arguing, asking, hacking until we arrived where we are now. It shouldn't be to hard to see that our current status as far as map usefulness goes should be the standard for new maps going forward.

Edited by joedobo

@ Protunia, just to be clear. Why?, because this is what history has proven it should be.

- In game map should be a high detail map like the current map dump. This detail includes a camera angle to show elevation and unique pixel color to distinguish tile type.

- In game map needs ability to import overlays (yes multiple so we can organize markers) with road/village/miscellaneous markers. The overlays will be created and moderated by the community.

- Any player can add markers, import and export overlays.

An option to know where i  am using the compass sure will be nice.

Wurm has fantasy magic elements. A spell that locates your position using magic would fit lore just fine. Wurm's mail spirits deliver mail to specific location and thus are using a position locating system. Add a long cooldown to the position locating spell. 

A sextant would be nice , when the weather permits ,stop moving , use it, wait 30 seconds and you find you are on Independence 22x, 23y.

• Like 1

Well I'd like to be able to pinpoint my location, but that the accuracy depend on the amount of Locate skill you have. Would be nice to have a button on the map 'Estimate current location', or even better, a countdown '20 seconds to complete estimate of current location'. After that, you will see a circle on the map. The size of the circle depend on your skill. You can be anywhere within that circle. But at least you get a rough idea where you might be at, even at low skill. Ofcourse, when you get more skill, the circle will shrink and eventually will turn into a dot. Aswell as the countdown would decrease. If you have a compass, within that circle you will see an arrow to show which direction you are looking. Maybe a better compass decreases the time to estimate the current location? I think it should at least be visible on the map.

And I plead that all new players (-8 hours of playtime) get a map that instant pinpoints to their location. If that is the main focus of the next release, they should benefit from this map the most. Elderly players do fine without, so please give the new guys the main benefits.

And of course a 100% accurate locate spell to Path of Knowledge lvl 7+ or a priest. I heard PoK followers surk that PoL has a better skill now, there you go!

Would be nice to have arrows on the maps borders so you can switch to the other maps in your cluster, while you will always view the map you are on when you first open the map. So I can see I am on Exodus, but if I would want to travel to Deliverance, I would know how to get there and can see how that map looks like,

Wurm has fantasy magic elements. A spell that locates your position using magic would fit lore just fine. Wurm's mail spirits deliver mail to specific location and thus are using a position locating system. Add a long cooldown to the position locating spell. 

Then someone can argue that is a spell and only priest can cast and we will end having to pay some dude to know where we are, no thanks.

If we get a map and we have a compass, that's all we need to make a crude triangulation, and know our location. I doesn´t need to have gps´s sub-meter precision, just a 25-30 tiles radius is fine, kinda like people is using this kind of navigation for centuries.

In fact we can even add a new bronze/brass/silver/gold item, like a detailed rose (the more ql the more subdivisions this rose can have like 4,  8, 16, 32, etc up to 360 if you want ) that you can attach to current compasses to make a Bearing Compass, that can be used for triangulation.

Probably the main problem for such a system will be what to chose as fix points for getting the proper bearings, in freedom probably the safest choice for this will be guard towers, since once finished the situation can´t be changed, so those should be greats fix points to take bearings against.

Just a question, how will the maps be updated when major deformations to the land occur?

• Like 1

They won't, that's why the map isn't planned to be detailed at this time.

Staff resources would have to be spent updating every server map if such detail was on it, which in my opinion isn't a good use of staff resources.

Edited by Tristanc
  • Like 1

They won't, that's why the map isn't planned to be detailed at this time.

Staff resources would have to be spent updating every server map if such detail was on it, which in my opinion isn't a good use of staff resources.

lol, you don't spend time hand drawing/making maps. You write a bot that automates the process. I don't know if they have such a tool but they have created map dumps that sure look like they do. I remember Rolf talking about Eagles map dump way back on JKH that used a very similar technology.

The devs have already made such maps like this and likely already have this tool made. The real problem is very vocal group (who don't like maps) dominate dominate the forums. History has proven they are wrong so we do we keep letting them dominate?

I don't see any reason a player can't have a GPS dot on their map for the same length of time they can access the bartender. That would give them chance to get used to how far they move on the map for walking 10 minutes.

And since the devs are now introducing an official grid reference into the client, I see no reason why we can't expect to see something like a sextant in the future, with that to base it on.

Will we see the whole map, or it will "appear" as we walk? (hiding places we did not discover)

Edited by Sweetbay

I don't see any reason a player can't have a GPS dot on their map for the same length of time they can access the bartender. That would give them chance to get used to how far they move on the map for walking 10 minutes.

As I understand it, the reason is simply that the map won't know where you are on the server. It's literally just an image with no actual game linked location capabilities [this should also answer Sweetbay's query above - nothing will be hidden by a fog-o-war]. Also consider the isometric view of the map, when on top of or behind large land forms, people will get VERY confused when relying on the map, appearing to be at the top of a mountain when actually they're at the bottom on the N side or seeming to be only half way up the S side of it when actually they're on the top. A location pointer would do more harm than good when anywhere other than on water or low lying land with no mountain South of them. This is also a sound reason for why Joedobo's suggestions are not feasible. The only way to get that kind of accuracy and functionality is to have a purely top down map (and I'm not going to get in to an argument with you on why I don't want that, you've made your point very clear multiple times on what you think of those people who don't like it :rolleyes: ).

• Like 1

@ Hordern...take a look at the community map,  IT WORKS! Take a look at all past finalized version of community maps and notice, THEY ALL LOOK THE SAME!

I never said I wanted a "you are here marker". I said I want an ingame map that is as useful as the community map. A map that is high detail and supports the ability for players to add/moderate overlays containing roads, village, and other markers.  I've also mention limited use tools to fetch the characters x.y position. How can you claim that my suggestions are not feasible when you don't even know what I'm asking for?

While its true I don't like you, I'm not disagreeing with you because of that. I'm pointing out those who have tried to limit the usefulness of maps have been proven wrong on their map related opinions. Proven wrong three times out of the past three map related events; Yes, wrong 3 out of 3 times.

Any who, "You are here" isn't possible, really?

Make two maps, one is a top-down (90 degree camera) and the other is whatever camera angle all the other map dumps used. Set up a bot to scan databased and automatically spit out two new PNGs every month for these two camera angles (I know nothing about PvP, it should be possible to only do this on the PvE servers). Have separate overlays for the two camera angles because of the skewing effect. The players create and manage the overlays.

I would think we could also make some 3d models and let users quickly navigate a camera around them with spin and zoom features. I kinda like this actually, it would be the ultimate map. But I'm concerned about how easy it would be for the players to add road/vilage/makers to such a map. Dev's would have to write a write bot to create a map like this; Although, once that is done it is just a matter of running the program.

• Like 1

HAHAHA! I love how the makers come out with details on stuff they are doing, then the crowd moans and groans about...NO!!! TO EASY!!!! MAKE THE GAME HARDER!!! then the creators are like " we don’t want to piss off our 5 paying customers, so let’s re-do the idea and please everyone." no harm no foul, right.....well then the game becomes something that the majority of the world does not like so then it just reinforces the fact that those 5 paying players will be depended on to keep services going for wurm. This people, is why we can’t have nice things. please stop showing us what you’re doing, it’s you're freakin game so just do it, then tell us that this is how it is and that's that. This would have been great for new players to have and use to see where they were compared to the map, with a little dot showing them where they are. now its just a waste of effort...really who is goanna even use it when its way better to use the forum maps that are able to use to orient oneself

Edited by metis
  • Like 1

This is an awesome idea. I like the player made maps but this will greatly increase the immersion of the game.

History has shown we come back to the same thing even know the same groups of people says its the wrong direction. I can say those people are wrong because

IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED.

There's no right or wrong, just groups of people with differing opinions on what is right or wrong for the game. The devs eventually just go with one idea that may or may not align with the opinion of one particular group. For better or worse, no one knows for sure because we can't see the other outcomes.

it's just politics....

Sextant would be nice, Turns out this thing can measure all kinds of things including distances between celestial bodies (wurm astronomy is cool). 

Edited by Suntan

can we add our own way points?

You do that by alliances and your own deed. Can respawn at any ally token so long as you're in an alliance. Other than that no way of doing so yet but it's probably been thought about. Maybe like an idea like the epic portals but for same server area hotspots like blossom of other marketplaces.

As far as the map looks, love it. If you manage to get the function where we can add our own PoI's then it all makes things better. But laso maybe limit that to only a few so it's still somewhat challenging to find locations for even those who want to constantly use the map. Map's shouldn't be able to give a player a marker saying "highway here, follow to Blossom" or "this route to home" and such haha just simple name tags or abreviations. But limiting is prolly best if that comes to pass.

Two scenarios.

== Scenario 1 ===

New guy says in Freedom 'Hey guys anyone recruiting?'

Few folks respond, Sure SuchandSuch Village is.

New guy asks 'How do I get there'

Immediately a lotta folks respond with 'http://wurm.dhcd.co.uk/map/Indemap.png'

==  Scenario 2 ==

Immediately a lotta folks respond with hit M for your in game map.

New guy 'Uh ok where am I'

response 'at the starter town FM'

New guy 'Cool, don't show any roads how do I get there'

5 different directions from 5 different players follow, most will include road directions, villages to turn left or right at ( long standing villages anyways on main roads ) rivers to cross, mountains to go around, whatever it takes to get to the destination.

New guy 'Um there isn't a map for this server?"

=========

Think about how the end result is still pointing a person towards the community map location for it's detail.

• Like 1

Two scenarios.

== Scenario 1 ===

==  Scenario 2 ==

Immediately a lotta folks respond with hit M for your in game map.

New guy 'Uh ok where am I'

response 'at the starter town FM'

New guy 'Cool, don't show any roads how do I get there'

5 different directions from 5 different players follow, most will include road directions, villages to turn left or right at ( long standing villages anyways on main roads ) rivers to cross, mountains to go around, whatever it takes to get to the destination.

New guy 'Um there isn't a map for this server?"

=========

Think about how the end result is still pointing a person towards the community map location for it's detail.

This guy gets it.