Sign in to follow this  
Wox

Maps1

awesome! I think the grid is hard to see tho... but I love how you have it.. so at very least people can say 'come to me at X,Y'

Great job!

Maybe each village/alliance could have their own notations on the map, if possible?

+1, just make it switchable to your private map and village/alliance map.

like map detail as it is shown now..agree font needs work for grid but still a wip, .that is enough tho...placing pins -1, Tradable -1.

Many don't want their locations known by others, being tradable, or pins placed (then screenshots taken) would destroy this option for said individuals..

Edited by Emane
  • Like 1

I'm not sure if this is included already, but my biggest problem with maps is finding out whether that one tile is at A10, B10, A9 or maybe even C8. In other words, would it be possible to add a tooltip when hovering over a tile that simply says which tile it is, removing the need to look at the rows on the side and bottom of the map repeatedly?

• Like 5

a couple questions:

When zooming in, will the grids still be seen, or will it be like zooming in on an image and you'll only see the grid markers if on that part of the image?

Also, will the maps change at all as the players of the server terraform the environment, like yearly map dumps or something, or will they be the original dump of the server permanently?

The art looks really nice! This is the quality of work we will see when a skill artist with actual terrain data creates a map.

I'm concerned that this won't be used or be appreciated as much if it doesn't play well with markings for villages, roads, and even custom player POI.

From a functionality perspective the map in the OP seems about 80% smaller and the resolution is at least cut in half compared to original map dump. This will make it harder to mark deeds and roads. I'm hoping the zoomed-in version will be a different map and equal to one game tile per pixel resolution.

It will be in the best interests of everyone if its designed so the players need to to add, remove, or shares custom markings. Perhaps they can be on a separate layer so we don't have to deal with the whole image. The ability to export different categories of makers would be great and the recipient would import that file. I've been thinking about a map project where players would store a large high resolution png on their computers. Then make a way for multiple players to collaborate on a cloud based SVG vector layer for markings like roads and villages. Since markings are really simple shapes svg would shine at communicating them over internet. Use the the large file on each client as background and layer the cloud vector file on top of it. This would let player log into the cloud and alter map data. It could work very similar to how we create Wurm's wiki.

Finally, we will have a lot of vocal people who will try to limit the usefulness of maps. These people have been proven wrong time and time again in the past. Maps will help Wurm. Please keep in mind how community maps are currently used and try to make this new map feature at least offer the same benefits.

It seems pretty good, though I would go for a slightly less obscured font on the numbers and letters (4s look like 9s, 3s look like 5s etc)

I'd probably have less open sea as well - only 8-25 really have any land in so only just over half the map is actually relevant - I'd rather be able to see the game in the periphery than empty parchment.

More importantly, you should indicate the direction for connected servers, if possible :)

I agree with what Wraithglow posted, and I'd urge one other addition as well: an indicator of where the starter village where new players spawn into on the map. (But no other towns or deeds, just the starter town as a point of reference.)

I agree with what Wraithglow posted, and I'd urge one other addition as well: an indicator of where the starter village where new players spawn into on the map. (But no other towns or deeds, just the starter town as a point of reference.)

The Starter towns will be marked.

:)

Looks great. Just so long as we can use our compass overlayed on the map.

Instead of the community maps, we could create a user-submitted directory of deeds. (Making it much easier to find where a deed is compared to scanning the map)

Players submit the X and Y Co-ordinates of their deeds and it is added to the forum thread then whoever runs the database places them in an alphabetical list, where you can then search for the co-ordinates by typing in or browsing an alphabetical list of deeds.

Edited by Outlaw

Finally, we will have a lot of vocal people who will try to limit the usefulness of maps.
There's a difference between usefulness and appropriateness. GM's have a few abilities that would be incredibly useful to everyone. That doesn't mean they should be added as general abilities for everyone though.
  • Like 1

There's a difference between usefulness and appropriateness. GM's have a few abilities that would be incredibly useful to everyone. That doesn't mean they should be added as general abilities for everyone though.

I gave specific points - a map that offers the same benefits as the current community map, and a long cool down ability to get your location.

You are using an abstract and exaggerated example. Insta-skill heart rip wands, fly ability, teleporting doesn't even come close to comparing. It seems your speaking as a GM an not as a player. Are GM's suppose to use there power to pusher there personal opinions?

• Like 1

Players submit the X and Y Co-ordinates of their deeds and it is added to the forum thread then whoever runs the database places them in an alphabetical list, where you can then search for the co-ordinates by typing in or browsing an alphabetical list of deeds.

This already exists on the inde community map at least.

I gave specific points - a map that offers the same benefits as the current community map, and a long cool down ability to get your location.

You are using an abstract and exaggerated example. Insta-skill heart rip wands, fly ability, teleporting doesn't even come close to comparing. It seems your speaking as a GM an not as a player. Are GM's suppose to use there power to pusher there personal opinions?

I'm just saying that people who suggest limiting the usefulness of something aren't always wrong, as your post is indicating. I made no comment on the appropriateness or otherwise on any of the points you made about maps. I was purely responding to the language used.

• Like 1

I'm just saying that people who suggest limiting the usefulness of something aren't always wrong, as your post is indicating. I made no comment on the appropriateness or otherwise on any of the points you made about maps. I was purely responding to the language used.

History has shown we come back to the same thing even know the same groups of people says its the wrong direction. I can say those people are wrong because

IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED.

History has shown we come back to the same thing even know the same groups of people says its the wrong direction. I can say those people are wrong because

IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED.

There's no right or wrong, just groups of people with differing opinions on what is right or wrong for the game. The devs eventually just go with one idea that may or may not align with the opinion of one particular group. For better or worse, no one knows for sure because we can't see the other outcomes.

Edited by EliasTheCrimson

What Joe wants, we already have. The idea the devs have is fine, they want it to be easier for noobs to get around. They get lost, they pop open the map, look around (or ask around) for local landmarks, then compare their surroundings to the map. They'll have a rough idea of where they are.

What more is needed?

You want roads, deed locations etc. We have a community map for that.

• Like 2

They are not going to add deeds or roads they will put in this game version of the starting map dumps and a server map version and that will be it.

One thing no one has brought up but we might be seeing soon is the jumbling of the servers to their permanent spots and the moving of pristine and release into the freedom cluster so they can be placed on this new server mapping that is going to be done. I am not sure on this but it makes sense to me that now would be the perfect time to make the move over for the mapping to be done. 

One thing no one has brought up but we might be seeing soon is the jumbling of the servers to their permanent spots and the moving of pristine and release into the freedom cluster so they can be placed on this new server mapping that is going to be done. I am not sure on this but it makes sense to me that now would be the perfect time to make the move over for the mapping to be done. 

Good point, hope they do rework the layout of the servers :P

@Shads   I think spending time coding a feature that will become obsolete withing days is not a good use of resources. I guarantee you will see new player in global laughing how the in game map sucks compared to the web community map. I think we have the opportunity to merge them and finally put an awesome map in game.

@ elias. we are on the third iteration of the map debate, maybe forth.  JKH/MRH player made maps only and for the most part they are incomplete and suck, lots of augments among players about maps, we get a map dump for Christmas, players go forth and mark it up with deeds and road making a community map.  Indy is born! no map so player make then and again they are incomplete and mostly suck, players argue lots about maps, we get a map dump, player go forth and add roads and deeds. Deli and others are born! no map, players attempt to make them, people argue lots, bam map dump, players mark it up with roads and deeds.. Now we are embarking on a new feature and again people are trying to limit maps. I just saying, maybe we should learn from the past.

There is no way they could add in all the deeds and roads they would be spending all their time updating them. With the new tools they are going to give us to mark our own landmarks and points of interest you can bet that i will find the map very useful and will use it everyday that i go out to an area i am not that familiar with. 

Edited by Kegan

It will be in the best interests of everyone if its designed so the players need to to add, remove, or shares custom markings.

@ Kegan.  I agree, a total mistake for the devs to tackle maintaining roads and villages. Perhaps I'm being too optimistic thinking they could make it so we can import/export a marker layer, road layer, or town layer. That does seems a lot more complex.

Ability to put tags on the map is nice, while autosharing them... umm I'm not so sure of that. 

• Like 1