Please no "sixth sense" maps. If it's being drawn with player moving around, that's fine (Map Making / Map Reading skills?). But everything out of player's sight should immediately fall under fog of war, i.e. no automagic updating of distant terrain.

Edited by Hula_Girl
  • Like 3

On the other side I'm totally against quests. We already have traders, merchants, bartenders, templars, tower guards - already too many NPCs for a sandbox game. Adding quest givers and quests will only turn the game towards the theme park style and soon enough people may require more and more quests. Eventually, if you really want them, add them in the tutorial, not in the real game.

Could not have worded it any better, I feel that even a "make me a mallet" Quest will start new players with the impression everything will be explained and spoon fed to them. It appears to carter to a completely different style of game play and, while opening wurm's niche player base, I think it will have very little effect on the retention asides from a person rage quitting right at the bat. Furthermore, the environment it may produce could very easily open the door for more "theme park" style game play. This may be good for the bottom line, but as I understand would go against the very nature that this game thrives on. 

Edited by AnarchistRise

The maps won't include any player owned villages, no need to worry about that. It might be possible to add marks to your own personal map however.

I second this information.

It is going to be very general maps, not nearly as detailed as some of the community maps out there.

We are not implementing features where you would be able to see yourself GPS style.

Also we are going to be looking at feedback from the players going forward with adding the features.

Edited by RedBaron_Johan
  • Like 3

Maps (depending on how it's done) can really unbalance pvp

It is going to be very general maps, not nearly as detailed as some of the community maps out there.

Good to hear :)

It's probably crucial to make the newbie experience more streamlined and enjoyable. Some guidance is needed even in a sandbox game like wurm online. Having done a rerun in Golden Valley not long ago, I noticed that some elements of the tutorial were no longer there (chopping wood, making a campfire and mallet, digging clay, and making pottery). Will we also see a return of those elements of the tutorial? 

Having said that, there's a fine line between making a newbie experience better, easier, more enticing, and spoiling the experience for existing playerbase. I doubt the current playerbase likes to be handhold.

So not direct mapdumps?

Some styelized general maps could be cool, as long as they dont display every road or village

Capitals and starter deeds would be the maximum I would be ok with displaying.

How exactly would local maps work with the low levels of detail?

I sort of like maps myself but the community ones are fine.  My thought is that it would be nice for tokens to display their x-y coordinates in the info section.  Then if you find your way to a deed you can get a reference.

• Like 2

I find that one of wurms greatest things going for it is that after playing wurm for god... too many years, i can STILL get lost on the map ive called home for most of that time. Adding maps will simply take away the adventure of wurm, the daunting feeling of going to a new part of the map, and actually the enjoyment i get out of navigating around the lands of wurm.

No maps please.

Edited by Redd
  • Like 3

So not direct mapdumps?

Some styelized general maps could be cool, as long as they dont display every road or village

Capitals and starter deeds would be the maximum I would be ok with displaying.

How exactly would local maps work with the low levels of detail?

Basically right now, the only way to navigate using the maps we are doing is going to a vantage point. Being pretty knowledgeable of the land or being able too see a landmark. Also already having a general idea of where you are.

We are doing the maps so general that we should not have to update them. Other than maybe iterating design ;)

Well it is like everything else you are going to face an uproar when you try to make things "easier" for the players. Just wait till you start working on making the crafting system easier to manage and see what happens, lol

• Like 2

In-game maps like you describe sounds like a huge step forward and the right way to do it.

As for a visual crafting system, I doubt it will make things easier, just more easy to figure out for new players and more logical to use for old players (I doubt anyone enjoys making 100 ribbons hidden inside 3 menus for example.)

As much as I am against dumbing the game down, I also want more players and if that can be done just by improving the GUI then that would be great.

There are 3 big NO's for me when it comes to Wurm: Teleporting, global auction house and GPS style minimap.

• Like 1

well i quitted because poor tutuorials and poor wayfinding - i got lost and even hard to make

Maps: - please do make them but has be craftable (simllar to minecraft) and once the map is done its can be used or sold to travellers or people (can be hanged up on wall)

Tutorial - could teach us how build a basic house and some few things

finding village or city with spaces to recuit new people its very hard - i quitted because lack of people near me

if those would be impemnted then i would come back

Maps?

I should take up Dwarf Fortress again. Forever.

Edited by Traslogan

With maps you take one of wurms coolest selling points of a world ready to explore with no maps so you have to see it all yourself, you take that concept and just flush it down the toilet.

• Like 1

I am not sure what everyone is going on about the maps we have a map for every server so why is it that big of a deal to have them in-game accessible? 

• Like 8

I love the idea of maps, but only if you craft them and then have to use from inventory.  high ql maps can cover larger areas and/or higher resolution.  no "you are here" needed if you can look at landmarks and find them on the map.  but thats my 2 cents.

I still think the game experience for starters was the absolute best back when golden valley was still open, with old and new players being able to co-exist at the starter town, with that nice tutorial with the NPCs etc. That was what amazed me and got me started again after my um... 5 year break.

The current problem with the separate tutorial island is,

people ask things in local and don't get answers or only "i dont know either.." and it looks just silly if nobody in the local has a clue what they are doing.

People think the game is just not better than that, before even knowing there is more.

Also the tutorial is way too long as it is.

Was alot nicer back when the tutorial was voluntary and you could just go explore if you want a break from learning,

or start crafting something in the starter town.

I am not opposed to the idea of a tutorial in general. I think it is great to have tutorial areas.

Just it should come in "smaller portions" so that you can first look around and decide if you in general think the game looks cool and then click one of the npcs to learn. Maybe put signs beside so you see what you learn in that particular mini tutorial.

Like, "make your first iron anvil". And then there is a well maintained cave beside and some wood to try that out.

Maybe it would be an idea to have a starter area where the caves wont break so much, like in the tutorial, just so you can visit it when you want. Maybe with a 1 ql iron cap or something.

Just tossing out ideas here. I miss the atmosphere of the golden valley starter town back in summer 2010 when i started there.

The sound of smithing, carpentry and mining... it just looked busy, inviting and exciting.

Seeing people accomplish something, etc.

Also, two thumbs up on the map idea.

Maybe add a "jump" option and a third person view.

Those 3 things are the first requests I constantly see new players ask about.

Is there a map?

Can I jump?

How do I switch to 3rd person view?

Edited by Smilingcat
  • Like 3

NO to ingame maps.

There are about twenty CRITICAL things you could do to the NPE in this game that _wouldn't_ damage the experience AFTER the first five hours. Try them first eh?

• Like 1

I'm very happy with the support for newer players coming. Also I think the devs are well aware of the maps, I'm sure they will find a fair way to implement them without messing with the survival aspect too much.

if maps were player made then its really not a big deal, new players only get a small map, probably only covering the starter town anyway, only rich players can afford large scale high resolution maps, so if you don't want one then don't buy one, but those who do want them can have easier access to the map information they are probably getting anyway from community maps.