Sign in to follow this  
griper

Should Animals Eat Other Animals?

It seems so strange with predators walking around and starving in an area that is full of dead animals.

Should starving creatures try to butcher corpses they come across and eat the meat?

Edited by griper

-> suggestions and Ideas

However, they just eat corpses

this was suggested by Emmanuel a long time ago :P

but if people dont butcher animals, maybe starving animals should.

+1 for fun

yah should be moved to suggestion and ideas but i really like the idea of all these carnivores eating the corpses =) butchered even more so since all that blood drew the predators attention

BB

I thought creatures already butchered corpses, at least they used to.

One of my first deaths in Wurm was being ambushed by a troll at the top of a long hill, low on stamina so I couldn't get away. As I went back up the hill to retrieve my corpse, I watched as the troll butchered my corpse.

Maybe they only butcher player corpses?

I didnt know that Wulfgar.

I havent seen any animals eating/butchering another.

Can some Mod pls move this thread to the "Suggestions and Ideas" subforum?

I thought they did butcher and eat corpses, but dont bury them.   easiest test would be to drop an unbutchered corpse to a couple of pigs.

[21:36:18] A aged pig eats a corpse of venerable deer.

Pigs and trolls do, not sure on the other predators.

• Like 1

If they destroyed butchered corpses they came across I would be happy with that too.

Know dogs do as well, or at least did when I briefly bred em years ago. No idea if all carnivores/omnivores butcher and eat corpses though.

On a side note I found they gained good traits far easier and in greater numbers than my horses were at that level of husbandry. Led me to conclude there's varying degrees of breeding difficulty among the species.

EDIT: Actual hunting and killing would be nice for ambiance. Not to mention new players being able to salvage meat and such from carrion.

Edited by Klaa

Yes.

Alligators especially should stop at one of the 100 corpses they pass instead of pursuing players for the next 10 minutes until said player gets to a guard tower.

Edited by Addeny

Yes.

Alligators especially should stop at one of the 100 corpses they pass instead of pursuing players for the next 10 minutes until said player gets to a guard tower.

oh oh oh being able to drop meat to distract mobs would be SO awesome :D

Of course, by carrying the meat in the first place you increase their aggro range towards you... :D

I have seen wolves, trolls, bears, dogs, nogumps and drakespirits eat corpses. They seem to eat any unbutchered corpse.

I would assume most other predators do too.

Today:

[14:07:26] Aged huge spider is dead. R.I.P.

[14:07:36] A venerable huge spider eats a corpse of aged huge spider.

It butchered the corpse before I got to it lol.

It wasn't even starving >.<

oh oh oh being able to drop meat to distract mobs would be SO awesome :D

Of course, by carrying the meat in the first place you increase their aggro range towards you... :D

There have been images in the forums in the past of deserts where people have dropped heaps of meat, then come back a couple of days later to find clumps of mobs around those heaps of meat. It does work, though with more players out hunting these days, you're unlikely to find an area like a desert that hasn't been hunted for a couple of days ;) So not quite distracting them, but certainly meat attracts them.

Basically, as far as I can see, barring carnivores actively hunting and killing other mobs (which has been suggested in previous threads, but many suggest it would eat processing power and make it harder for newer players to find appropriate things to hunt. I think my comment was we'd just end up with servers full of trolls as they'd be able to eat everything else ;) ), all suggestions in this thread are already in.

Know dogs do as well, or at least did when I briefly bred em years ago. No idea if all carnivores/omnivores butcher and eat corpses though.

On a side note I found they gained good traits far easier and in greater numbers than my horses were at that level of husbandry. Led me to conclude there's varying degrees of breeding difficulty among the species.

EDIT: Actual hunting and killing would be nice for ambiance. Not to mention new players being able to salvage meat and such from carrion.

Still do, my brother dropped some corpses on our dogs, and they're all butchered now.

They butcher if theres meat on the corpse, aka the animal wasnt starving.

I dont think Id be happy with trolls killing all off the other hunting everywhere..

If they attacked each other, this could partially solve the problem of mobs trapped in (abandoned) enclosures, or collapsed mines etc. Just at some reasonable rate...