Sign in to follow this  
AndyGrimes

Exactly How Does Farming Currently Work?

Been wondering for awhile how farming works after the update, and the wiki doesnt say much..

Haven't farmed in over a month, but since patch notes haven't mentioned changes, i assume they haven't changed anything, so:

It works same as before the changes, except to get previous yields at high lvls you need to farm the fields several times. You can still not farm the fields, but you'll get about 2/3 of precious max yields, and if you farm regularly you'll get the same. Unless you get an act of god (ie rare action) then you can get lots, but its a rare action, so basically farming was severely nerfed.

Edited by ReaverKane

If we can get some hardcore farmers to chime in with details on exactly how it works, we can start getting the wiki corrected.  =)

• Like 1

I regularly get harvests of significantly more than I used to, at 66ish farming and farming around once a day. I used to get max yields of 6, now I get 7-9. I use an 80ish QL rake and usually plant seeds of 66ish QL.

Edited by Cally

I would personally love to see a list of what crops to use for skill gain at what farming level.  Haven't seen one of those on wiki or forums yet.

• Like 1

I regularly get harvests of significantly more than I used to, at 66ish farming and farming around once a day. I used to get max yields of 6, now I get 7-9. I use an 80ish QL rake and usually plant seeds of 66ish QL.

How often do you get 7-9? And what crops?

Cause although i kinda quit playing several weeks ago (not too long after the farm nerf), after they "tweaked" farming i was farming cotton, garlic, wemp and pumpkins, and was getting 4 items with 2 total farm actions, and 6 items with 1-2 daily actions (farmed whenever i noticed the crops to be needing farming while i was on). Never got a yield of over 6, and yes, i'm also around 66 Farming.

I am farming around 6 potatoes everytime at the skill of 58.

92.8 farming, only get 6 harvests, rather than the 7 I used to get. Have to tend religiously to get anywhere near the yields I was getting pre-nerf from one tend before harvest.

Pre-nerf: No tends, 7. One tend before harvest, 9.
Post-nerf: No tends, 6. One tend before harvest, 7. 3-4 tends, 9.

Ergo, someone decided punishing players who'd put in the time to get to 90+ specifically so we didn't need to tend was a good idea. In response I've over doubled my farmland in order to compensate for this idiocy with size, all it's done has made people's lives unnecessarily harder and not added ANY content to the game, and you know what they say, trademark of a bad dev team is removing content when they should be adding it.

• Like 1

I am farming around 6 potatoes everytime at the skill of 58.

That's about average for potatoes, i started having 6 potato harvests at around 45-50 skill with old system and one farm a day or even one or two for the whole "season".

The farming update generally improved things for me, at 91 farming. I got 7 yield previously without raking and between 7 (corn) and 9 (cotton) with raking. Nowadays I get 7 without daily raking (just as before) and between 9 (corn) and 11 (cotton) with raking almost daily. On top of that I get about 18 yield from the "rare" fields.

Edited by EliasTheCrimson

farming improved yields for me...am getting 6-7 yields on most things at 50 skill per harvest..which would not have happened till at least 60 skill before the change. .already raked 2x a day for skill gain so no change there at all for me..

There are 4 levels of farming action 'success'. The more of the better ones you get, the better your yield will be, so farming with a high QL rake makes a huge difference over a low QL rake now. Rare actions also increase the yield, and rare rakes and scythes (for grains only obviously) will also make a difference.

At 87ish farming I get 6 of most crops with no farming. I get mostly 7's if I've farmed mostly with my skiller rake, and 8's and 9's using my 70QL woa rake.

I have oats, wemp, cotton, corn, potato, strawberry, pumpkin, and probably other stuff I'm forgetting. 

I might put some effort into trying to acquire myself a rare rake / scythe now <.<

There are 4 levels of farming action 'success'. The more of the better ones you get, the better your yield will be, so farming with a high QL rake makes a huge difference over a low QL rake now. Rare actions also increase the yield, and rare rakes and scythes (for grains only obviously) will also make a difference.

At 87ish farming I get 6 of most crops with no farming. I get mostly 7's if I've farmed mostly with my skiller rake, and 8's and 9's using my 70QL woa rake.

That close to 90 i wouldn't say your ql 70 rake is doing you any favors... At old values 87 skill +5 bonus (one or two rakes) would get you at 92, thus granting 9 yield in most crops anyhow.

So far i see a bunch of contradicting information, which kinda tells me its way too random for comfort.

And BTW part of my values are using a ql 80 something rake. Others are with a skiller rake (ql 20-30).

farming improved yields for me...am getting 6-7 yields on most things at 50 skill per harvest..which would not have happened till at least 60 skill before the change. .already raked 2x a day for skill gain so no change there at all for me..

Getting 6 kinda depends, if i'm not wrong my first 6 potatoes were at around 45 - 50 skill. So its kinda weird.

So far Elias' findings are the only ones that would indicate a real positive improvement, since he claims his no-rake are the same as before, which i find kinda odd, but i'm not here to call anyone a liar. Still, i'm guessing he's the guy that beat the odds,  apparently.

Edited by ReaverKane

That close to 90 i wouldn't say your ql 70 rake is doing you any favors... At old values 87 skill +5 bonus (one or two rakes) would get you at 92, thus granting 9 yield in most crops anyhow.
Sorry, I don't understand... I'm not comparing to how farming used to be, purely the current system with no raking, skiller rake, and a high(ish) ql rake which from the numbers I've observed, clearly does make a difference.

Maybe it was nerfed so farmers would buy more land to make up for it?

Maybe it was nerfed so farmers would buy more land to make up for it?

Yes and aliens slowly taking over.... Or maybe its was attempt to make a system where rare tools actually made a difference.

Rakes already made a difference. If I wanted to spend hours a day doing chores for crops id own an actual farm. If they wanted to make a difference to improve their game they should have spent the resources used screwing up the farming system on bug fixes.

• Like 1

If you need to screw over farming to make rares have value, maybe the devs should have thought about rares a little better? I know when I install new parts into a computer I don't expect to have to damage other parts to get it to fit.

So from what I understand, the harvest you get without tending is like 10* your skill, minus 1 to 3. And if you tend it everytime with a high ql rake, you get 1 to 3 above 10* your skill.

So from what I understand, the harvest you get without tending is like 10* your skill, minus 1 to 3.
Well I'd say minus 2 or more depending on crop difficulty. With potatoes (an easy crop) I get 4 with a 63 farmer, and 6 with an 87 farmer.

Also, with today's update, 2 is now a minimum with at least 1 farming action.

Also, with today's update, 2 is now a minimum with at least 1 farming action.

I am very happy that is the new system.  New players with poor farming can survive off of crops and have seeds to replant, with time to do other things.