Sign in to follow this  
LyrusLLupo

Ships: Raise/lower Sails

I've always had a bit of a problem when parking my boats in a gale. They either end up in awkward positions or end up running aground, and for special docks lined with bsb's for unloading it's impossible to turn them around before running aground. If I try to turn the boat around and moor it so it'll be easier to leave if I have to leave in a hurry later, I can't moor it in time before i'm halfway out to sea. What I"m suggesting is there be some kind of way to stop the boat or slow the boat other than anchoring it and more effective than holding down the s button. Simply rolling up the sails and letting the boat drift would make it alot easier to move the boat into a favorable position to park. It doesn't have to be something with the sails, i'll take anything as long as climbing onto a boat (other than a rowboat) during a gale doesn't send me shooting off like a rocket. Thoughts on this? Constructive Criticism? Improvements to the idea? :P

• Like 2

+1

You can always get out, drag the ship to where you want it, embark as passenger, moor.

That is if you have the strength to drag it when loaded, or unloaded but full of rafts.

Some sort of sailing skill governing the kind of actions described. Timer length affected by the skill or main skill.

Adjusting to slower speeds would definitely be nice. Other possible impacts can consist of tighter turn radius, faster speeds in directions counter to prevailing winds, etc

Nothing original from me tbh. Comes from an old thread on the subject; however, it was so long ago I doubt its even archived in this forum version. I have little, if any, firsthand knowledge of sailing... best I can manage is telling you where I am on a ship.

EDIT: Not to mention surviving severe weather in open water. Not like we have such atm. Its always perfect weather for sailing with the exception of fog.

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 2

also corbita's sails always stick out from my cave canal

+1

I think that the s key should always let you stop and then reverse in any wind so we can move the boats around better in tight spots.   

Edited by Kegan

Might even lessen GM calls for ships that get stuck in cave walls >.>

Really wish the game would not kick you from a problem ship; though, its probably to avoid a worse problem.

Edited by Klaa

Just get some new ship movement physics system, it can't be that hard to get in. Now you can sail 20km/h to one side and in half a second turn out 180 degree so you'll instantly reverse.

+1 I had suggested this a while back in a different thread that we should be able to deploy sails at full/half/none and each stage should affect speed and control. Full sail would take more advantage of wind and allow for higher speeds at the loss of accuracy while no sail should not be affected by the wind very much and allow for precise maneuvers. The switch could be done perhaps by a UI similar to the fight stance window but only when commanding a ship with sails (or only multiple sails). It would also take several seconds to raise/lower sails to add in the timing/skill factor rather than just being instant.

• Like 1

I'd be happy with a simple raise/lower sails command.  With sails down, have knarr move at rowboat speeds and corbita/cog/caravel move at.. um... wallowing pig speed?

• Like 1

Something to allow slow movement for tight navigation would be great. Another possibly simple and helpful change would be allowing the boat owner to moor from passenger, so they could drag/turn in to position, then hop on as a passenger to moor without the boat moving before it can be anchored.

thats how a sailboat works you always raise the sail "against" the wind and start from that position.

Just made a sail course last week and you can be glad to have such an easy system

Something to allow slow movement for tight navigation would be great. Another possibly simple and helpful change would be allowing the boat owner to moor from passenger, so they could drag/turn in to position, then hop on as a passenger to moor without the boat moving before it can be anchored.

You can already do this! :3

Any passenger can moor but only commander can raise anchor.

Edited by Docterchese

You can already do this! :3

Any passenger can moor but only commander can raise anchor.

Mind, boggled, well this makes things SOOOOOO much easier :D My knarr shall never be lodged in my docks again!

I would tell you how noobish you are but I only found out a few days ago myself. :P

+1 Would love to see big changes in sailing, and every little bit helps. Roll on the days of needing more than one person to crew the biggest ship available.

+1  sails down and you can slowly "row". Personally, I'd make it so sails-down makes the boat act like a rowboat.

This has been requested many times. I believe folks had asked for it within months of when boats were first introduced. 

I'd love a raise sails/lower sails command for docking too it would be so useful when docking or even slowing down for mine entrances and tunnels