Sign in to follow this  
rosedragon

Imbalance (Fanart)

"The intruders were full of confidence when they thought there was only one person in local, but it didn't last long as fevfev skillfully used the terrain he knew so well to his advantage."

sharkinFINAL.jpg

A drawing commission I did for sharkin (FevFev), initially requested to draw him on his chaos deed-- which then we agree it is not a good idea. After some minutes of talk we decides to go with this one. I have fun with the new toy I use to create the poses although I were worrying too much of the art quality. In the end, after I finished, step back (mmm soda coffee!), and take a look at it again I feel like this one have it's own charm; it is not as detailed as 'Riders of the White Dragon' but I think the vibrant coloring is something that I usually don't dare to do. Also I have been watching foundation of light by Sycra to get the lighting on this :) . Overall it is a surprisingly challenging piece but I enjoy it neverthless.

Click below for process breakdown:

sharkin_WIP1.jpg

Testing my new toy Daz3d, I slap three models on the scene and put a pose on them. Here is the render I got.

sharkin_WIP2.jpg

Placing them on photoshop and add a terrain.

sharkin_WIP3.jpg

Doing lineart on the FevFev character and I feels something not right :( ..

sharkin_WIP4.jpg

I decided to go drop random photos on the image and figure out the whole value and angle.. Also detailed the whole armor. Yep, something not right there.. the whole poses is just too neutral.. no one know who is winning in this picture.. no expression, too much initial combat pose, seems like they have been waiting for each others move.. so... I would have to tackle this problem but let's look on another possible problem..

sharkin_WIP5.jpg

Here I'm looking forward on the value composition.. light and dark stuffs.. getting where the people focus should be.. 

sharkin_WIP6.jpg

Then I decide I should fix that neutral pose and tip the balance. Here, FevFev is doing an attack to one of the JK, the JK parry but lose/almost lose his balance. Now that is some action :D . Also figure out how to assign muscles and expression on the 3d program so yay!

sharkin_WIP7.jpg

Let's get back to black and white, lighting composition then! Now this looks like a better action!

sharkin_WIP8.jpg

Coloring the background, giving it the basic mood. Mol Rehan is related with the color red and yellow so I'm thinking why not the fabulous red sunset? :D

sharkin_WIP9.jpg

Linearting the new characters, so the details can be put in.

sharkin_WIP10.jpgColoring behind the lineart. The whole lighting still difficult even with the black and white version earlier.

sharkin_WIP11.jpg

I eliminate the lineart and then start working out details on the foreground (rocks and stuffs). Polished a bit of the sky and ocean here and there. Detailed the landmass on the background too.

sharkin_WIP12.jpg

Added JK logo on the tabard, put on the soft-cotton texture on the tabards and scales texture on the armors. A feedback point out that the black drake guy looks off.. so I realize the angle doesn't feels right because the lighting is wrong...
sharkin_WIP13.jpg
Decided to fiddle with daz3d again.. gave the models some lighting.. still confused on how to use this lighting thing so I just get one that I like and use it... this one looks solid!
sharkin_WIP14.jpg
From there it just a bit changing of the light and dark part of the characters. Also found out that the output I produce is not looking the same like what I draw in photoshop, until I figure out I have to convert to sRGB. Also my +50 gamma monitor also probably make things looks brighter to me than others. So this part mostly (frustatingly) fiddling with settings and image-wide brightness adjustment.

My other wurm artworks:

Riders Of The White Dragon

The Undead Fo Priest

------------------------------

I am currently accepting commissions. PM me on forum or in game for details.

Current queue: none.

------------------------------

Edited by rosedragon
  • Like 6

little more detail on the MR face would make it finished.

The black and white one looks pretty cool aswell :)

little more detail on the MR face would make it finished.

Elaborate please.. cause I'm not sure what is missing :) .

Excellent, I love the palette you used!

But oposed to what Silakka The Rebel said, I would have gone for less detail (shield, sword hilt), and for more weight in the figures attacking the wild FevFev... giving it a second look, they are all sticking their butts out a bit, that was the only thing bothering me.

But again, props on the colours you used, it gives an excellent mood !

'The rebel' cant have opinions?

@rose

Maybe adding scars or cheekbones, just little shading or tiny things to the face to make it a little more alive.

• Like 1

Your doing a super good job I like those images keep up the nice work!

The lighting is getting a lot better, but there could be a bit stronger of a shadow underneath the cliff/rock face, as well as towards the right side of the picture, depending on the perspective.

Also, about the shield. There's typically two straps on the backside of the shield so your entire forearm can widthstand a hit, instead of just your wrist. :)

With that being said, I love the drawing again, and I'm looking forward to seeing more (if someone commisions you). :P

Very good, though why no tabard on fevfev?

Your backgrounds are good but you need work on your characters they look awkwardly posed and misproportioned a little especially the ones on the left. Not trying to be mean just being honest with my opinion on your artwork it is still way better than i could ever hope to achieve, lol 

Edited by Kegan

Your backgrounds are good but you need work on your characters they look awkwardly posed and misproportioned a little especially the ones on the left. Not trying to be mean just being honest with my opinion on your artwork it is still way better than i could ever hope to achieve, lol 

Not offended Kegan, a good critic is good :) .

he won a 2v1 against people in drake?

its not impossible, especially for an account like that :P 

but on topic, this looks very nice rose

An Interesting Version 2 of this, would be FevFev shield bashing them off that cliff they are standing on. Push them FevFev, push them off the cliff.

• Like 2