Sign in to follow this  
Bulkfarmer

Merchant Update

19 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this is a good Idea?

• Yes
    • No

Ok so i was thinking the other day and I thought wurm needs a Merchant Update. Merchants should be able to buy and sell. This i believe would inprove local econamys. You should be able to type in a range of ql maybe like xx- xx Ql and the number of Items you want to buy. As well as the price you want to buy at.

Edited by Bulkfarmer

Yes would be nice if you could put so merchant buys item, such as you choose what QL thing you will buy, ex. Iron long sword (50-60ql) - For enchant, you would need to put the example of sword with the enchants, and then you could choose 2nd, 3rd power.

• Like 1

Sorry, but no.  I want my merchant to make money for me, so I want him only to sell my items.  Buying and selling is for traders.

Edited by Vroomfondel

The trader system is no good becouse the trader sets the price. In the real world a Merchant buys and sells some merchants thats all they do.

Vroom, i think it would be needed to be optional, So you can put him buying and selling, or only selling. You can sell stuff, and buy stuff ( if wish)

I feel that the only thing you would want to buy would be enchanted tools or bulk goods and that would just be to hard to do i think. 

It is already being done in other games with out the purchase of a merchant.

I agree it would be nice if we could use them for some simple items like bulk items and then maybe need to make an aditional storage for the market stall , inside the merchant could be some sort of quest or letter with instructions what bulk items are needed/bought and to trade it you would just need to drop them into this special "non take" chest

Edited by Miretta
  • Like 1

I would definitely like merchants to have the ability to handle requests for items as specified by me (particularly in bulk).

Yes, if this is a "Want to buy xxxx @ yyyy copper" type of deal.  How would you handle QL ... set as a minimum ?

I understand how everyone feels about a auction house its the localized market that is nice. We need to improve on this idea. With a Buy order system it would encourage trading improve cion flow. It would help new players and would alow you to pay your crafters with out the need to wait till the person is on.

Ql could be typed in. Make it a fill in the blank type deal. Or maybe you could set a Range like Between 70- 90Ql

dont see how this could work

1. Owner specifies what items wants his merchant to buy (item, QL, enchants, amount, etc)
  2. Merchant creates a set of trade conditions based on this request
  3. Player walks up to merchant and offers items
  4. Merchant checks if the player's offer meets the trade conditions
  5. If conditions are met, merchant offers cash back from its inventory
Edited by EliasTheCrimson
  • Like 1

The problem is, you're dealing with specifics, if you put that you're buying a 75ql longsword with 80nimb, etc, what if someone comes along with a 76 ql sword? or better castings of enchantments? making allowances for that would lead to the system easily abused by lesser casts as well.

Most items are bought and sold in bulk, or sought out as enchanted, coupled with the ql system, it wouldn't be feasible to specify what you wish to buy

Why would it not be Feasible just needs to be programed that way. Just trying to help.

Edited by Bulkfarmer

The problem is, you're dealing with specifics, if you put that you're buying a 75ql longsword with 80nimb, etc, what if someone comes along with a 76 ql sword? or better castings of enchantments? making allowances for that would lead to the system easily abused by lesser casts as well.

Most items are bought and sold in bulk, or sought out as enchanted, coupled with the ql system, it wouldn't be feasible to specify what you wish to buy

I don't see the problem. It's not exactly difficult to have conditions make use of >= or <= operators. We could go as far as allowing players to specify the rules themselves through regular expressions if we wanted to be really anal about full control over the trade conditions.

Edited by EliasTheCrimson
  • Like 1

I think its a great idea... players would travel more to find these merchants to see what each are looking to buy. And since it will be 100% controlled by the owner it would not work at all like a trader which is good.

Some type of bulk storage would have to be coded for the merchants though.

about that conditions could be made like this : merchant I buy every longsword with ql >70 nimble >50 everything below wont be accepted and everything above could be set with a price per ql and enchant level (like players tend to price items too) so 1c per item ql and 2c per enchant lvl or something similar, same for bulk items, I dont know any player who buys bulk items with a specific ql but more like a minimum ql required....and that should be easier to handle.

and a merchant upgrade is definately needed cause except if someone is specific looking tobuy something, they have no reason to look into a merchant ;) or even approach it, but looking for "orders" jobs or similar would make them alot more popular

1. Owner specifies what items wants his merchant to buy (item, QL, enchants, amount, etc)

Merchant creates a set of trade conditions based on this request

Player walks up to merchant and offers items

Merchant checks if the player's offer meets the trade conditions

If conditions are met, merchant offers cash back from its inventory

Even if that would be impletend to the game, it doesnt mean it would work.

There are tons of ways how to make it, but in the end it wont be used almost at all.

Even if that would be impletend to the game, it doesnt mean it would work.

There are tons of ways how to make it, but in the end it wont be used almost at all.

I highly disagree.  I think it would work very well.  At the very least it would allow for delivery of non mailable items between players of different time zones.  Optimally it would create an easier way for bulk orders to be delivered and tracked by the buyer (ie buying 20k dirt) and even potentially create a new profession of "travelling salesmen" above and beyond current couriers.  Someone with the desire could wander around checking this markets and say notice that user A in the east is selling for 80c what user B in the west is buying for 1s.  With an small investment and some good fortune the traveler could make 20c and players A ad B are both happy.  Someone who does this enough could get familiar with an area and plot a route with several stops and make a decent bit of coin

Though I think you should be limited to how many non bulk items you could buy, so no one could say "buying ALL rares" or pickaxes, or whatever and create an artificially inflated demand.

+1 if the mechanics can be worked out to avoid abuse.

To be honest, I would personally prefer a separate contract you can get (same price) that is a buyer. Keep them as separate entities so people can easily tell who to go to if they want to buy, and who to sell to.

I do massively support the idea though - I would have a buyer without question. Specify maximum quantity, maximum price, minimum quality, specific type (e.g. oak), minimum <other attribute e.g. enchant> and all the bases are covered :D

• Like 1

I would set it up to only work through Traders that way if you lock yours up you can't be involved in this type of trade.

-1 to using merchants.

Edited by Protunia