Sign in to follow this  
Nerisrath

Smoked Fish / Maybe Meat?

Currently fish cannot currently be stored long term, meat however can if you cook it and put it in an FSB.  Smoking fish was one of the earliest ways of preserving meat aside from salt curing.  Therefore, I suggest a structure, much like a coalpile, that would allow you to create a store-able fish product.  The structure would take 12 logs, 4 peat, and 1 kindling to create (of course another kindling to light just like coal piles).  Creating these structures would increase your "meat smoking" skill, the QL of these structures would be dependent on the meat smoking skill.  After creation you would be able to open the structure and put X number of "fillet of fishtype" inside and after about 24 hours real time a percentage of the fillets would all become a generic "smoked fish".  The rest of the fillets would become some generally worthless item such as "pig food" or "charred meat" and the structure would burn out leaving behind tar and ash.  The percentage chance of becoming smoked fish versus charred fish would be dependent on pile QL or fillet QL, whichever is lower.  The only difference between smoked fish and non-smoked fish fillets is smoked fish could be stored in FSB's (possibly smoked fish take 1/2 damage in inventory as well).  This would allow storing of fish, but the increase in stored meat on the market should be limited by the difficulty to create large quantities.  Not to mention it would take 3k "smoked fish" to equal 1k "cooked meat" as fish fillet (and thus the smoked fish) weighs 0.3 kg and cooked meat from an FSB weighs 0.9 kg and fillets in to 3 meat fillet.

This could be expanded in the future to smoke meat and allow meat fillets to be put in an FSB, or instead maybe smoke meat fillets into "jerky" which is not storeable, but has an 1/10 decay rate (in inventory only) and a low nutritional value.    Upon further thought this part is not all that useful, and merely makes the idea more cumbersome.

Edited by Nerisrath
  • Like 2

You're better off asking for fish to be stored than fish fillets -- fillets can't be fsb'd and I doubt that would change for fish. 

If I had a copper for every time I've seen fish meat storage come up...

As usual +1... for smoked, cooked, buccan'ed, or whatever means of preserving the meat for placing in food bins.

• Like 1

+1 , also meat fillets should turn into cooked meat when cooked

baconnnn~

Fillets into cooked meat will be problematic cause then you can gain infinite butchering skill.

Edited by rosedragon

baconnnn~

Fillets into cooked meat will be problematic cause then you can gain infinite butchering skill.

Is it that you can rebutcher cooked meat after removing from bsb ? (how would you get infinite butchering skill ?) :wacko:

+1 , also meat fillets should turn into cooked meat when cooked

baconnnn~

Is it that you can rebutcher cooked meat after removing from bsb ? (how would you get infinite butchering skill ?) :wacko:

It is because the item "cooked meat" is combined into 0.9kg items in a FSB, so if fillets turned to "cooked meat" you could recombine them , butcher into 0.3kg filets, turn into "cooked meat", rinse and repeat.   Which is the reason why i suggested a new item, keeping smoked fish separate from meat.  Fillet of fish or meat should in no way be turned to "cooked meat".  In this idea the "smoked fish" should come back out of a FSB at 0.3kg, which I forgot to point out.

Edited by Nerisrath

You're better off asking for fish to be stored than fish fillets -- fillets can't be fsb'd and I doubt that would change for fish. 

Its not the fillets that would be stored so much as the created item "smoked fish" ....much like the created item "cooked meat" is the only form of meat that can be stored.  The only difference is here the fish has to be filleted to be smoked as a function of the structure, whereas meat is filleted after being cooked.

Edited by Nerisrath

I have 90 fishing skill and being able to preserve the catch some way would be great for me . Huge +111

+1 yeah, should have a way to store every type of meat since salt was used often to preserve them, but you can't do it here. It would add a better use for salt for meat that's not in meals. 

+1  I'd rather not wait for Tich to implement her personal vision on how cooking should work before we can put fish in a food bin. My only request is that the processing method is as easy to do as cooked meat.