Sign in to follow this  
Emane

Olive Yield Ninjanerf (And Poll)

51 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Olive Harvest Ninjanerf be Reverted

• Yes, One olive per tree per harvest is nto enough for large oil barrels.
    • No, I keep my large oil barrel full from one olive per tree per season.
    • Other, Post suggestion in thread.

OK it is potentially verified now that the revert to only being able to harvest one olive per tree regardless of its age is intentional

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/85990-tree-harvests-still-bugged/

This again makes it very hard to have enough oil produced so that large oil barrels can keep the lamps lit off deed within the advertised 24 tile radius.

Yes the increase in yield was during the attempted forced use of olive oil to keep on deed lamps lit which caused quite an outrage, So a peace was reached by making large oil barrels AND a templar fill off deed lamps...Now the ability to accomplish this is also nerfed again..really?

Thoughts? Suggestions? 

Edited by Emane

Can't you just use tar to fill lamps?  I don't think I've ever used olive oil to keep them lamps lit...   I don't know if it's a bug or w/e, but I've literally never had to even think about lighting lamps cus they're always lit on any deed I've lived in (of my own at least) so I'm not sure lol..    I know for a fact that lamps pretty much stay on forever off-deed, but just never had to use olive oil for on-deed...    /vague

Can't you just use tar to fill lamps?  I don't think I've ever used olive oil to keep them lamps lit...   I don't know if it's a bug or w/e, but I've literally never had to even think about lighting lamps cus they're always lit on any deed I've lived in (of my own at least) so I'm not sure lol..    I know for a fact that lamps pretty much stay on forever off-deed, but just never had to use olive oil for on-deed...    /vague

He did mention off-deed lamps, and while you can use tar to fill lamps, a Templar will not use tar to refill them. There was nothing at all vague about his post.

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Huge_oil_barrel

Currently huge oil barrels are not required to keep on deed lamps fueled as long as they have been manually filled since the change. They can be used with one or more Spirit Templar to automatically fuel all lamps within a  24 tile perimeter of the deed.

Edited by Emane

allow oil barrels to hold tar, 99% of the tar I've ever dug went unused

• Like 5

I meant my post was vague, lol..   and yeah I know I've seen the wiki, I've just never had to have olive oil on-deed for lamps to go on/off during day/night, stay light, etc...  I don't know why!

I guess this belongs to the suggestion section

Also big + to Tryfaen's suggestion.

kind of lame ( this change if its meant to be..... ) if you ask me as olives were used for cooking as well as beverages.

I think the reverse should happen and all fruit trees should have been made like olive trees were.

Edited by Protunia
  • Like 5

I meant my post was vague, lol..   and yeah I know I've seen the wiki, I've just never had to have olive oil on-deed for lamps to go on/off during day/night, stay light, etc...  I don't know why!

On deed lamps stay lit as long as deed is there. turn on and off ect. The oil barrel and olive oil keeps OFF deed lamps within a radius lit and not needing filled as well. 

@Deth666 Hordern says

It's design that they no longer give more than one olive btw if that's what you're referring to

Then says at the end: If it's something else, then I appologise  ;)

I know English is not everyones first language..however, I would assume the last statement if referring to the "IF that is what you are referring  to" comment he made in the beginning of his post...

For instance. If you are referring to snow being white, then I must agree it reflects more light, IF it's something else (other than that snow is white that you are referring to) then I apologize...

Edited by Emane
  • Like 2

On deed lamps stay lit as long as deed is there. turn on and off ect. The oil barrel and olive oil keeps OFF deed lamps within a radius lit and not needing filled as well. 

Ahh ok, I hadn't realized that, thanks. :)

To be honest i dont know why we cant harvest more anyways. Real life you get tons more at harvest than what is allowed in the game. More yeild would reduce the sizes of Fruit forests and the hated olive forests. I for one chop every olive tree down when i get the hankering to murder some trees. Olive forests are very pesky, i hope they design a new model for the tree that is realistic.

Don't really care much personally, but from a believability front one 'olives' per tree is pretty ludicrous. My neighbours have a _tiny_ olive tree that clearly yields buckets of the darn things. A full grown one must be pretty amusing.

IMO oil barrels are barely relevant to today's wurm. I use mine to support a handful of offdeed lamps, some of which it doesn't work for anyway, presumably because they're closer to someone else's deed than mine, despite being in my perimeter. To me that's a bigger (but still tiny) issue.

I find it amusing that the lack of believability of an olive tree only giving one olive is thrown about several times, yet the fact this olive weighs .3kgs and gives .18 kgs of olive oil isnt? perhaps take it less as a single olive, and a harvest of olives from one tree, an olive doesn't give up 60% of its weight in olive oil, nor does it weigh 300 grams.

This, coupled with what the wiki states: "Street lamps need 0.125kg of tar or olive oil as fuel to fill to max capacity"  means that two olives can fill three street lamps. Take into effect olive trees can be reharvested after a server restart (which almost always happens during an olive season) and the limited second season means one tree can fill three street lamps.

Frankly, I see one olive per tree as completely fair when you take the olive oil output per single olive into consideration.

I think it was fine the way it was.  I don't see that it was unbalancing anything or causing anyone any problems in the game.  It did cut down on the number of olive trees that needed to be planted for people who like to keep off-deed lamps lit.  I can't think of any reason why it was felt necessary to sneak in a ninja, stealth nerf like this.  For myself, I have room to plant more olive trees.  Some folks don't.

Maybe instead of "Olive" it could be renamed to "Olives" so it made a bit more sense (like when combining). +1 into increasing the harvests for olives and other trees as well. Wine production should be faster imo. I'd also like to see a way to label flasks with papyrus strips so people could create wine brands (that are sellable on merchants), but that's another suggestion entirely.

Edited by Sir Arowhun

@Deth666 Hordern says

It's design that they no longer give more than one olive btw if that's what you're referring to

Then says at the end: If it's something else, then I appologise  ;)

I know English is not everyones first language..however, I would assume the last statement if referring to the "IF that is what you are referring  to" comment he made in the beginning of his post...

"if it's something else" he's stateing that he doesn't know for sure one way or the other he's guessing and IF he's wrong he appologises

Edited by Deth666

To guarantee maximum quality only a single olive can now be taken from the holy olive tree. :lol:

( :( )

I find it amusing that the lack of believability of an olive tree only giving one olive is thrown about several times, yet the fact this olive weighs .3kgs and gives .18 kgs of olive oil isnt? perhaps take it less as a single olive, and a harvest of olives from one tree, an olive doesn't give up 60% of its weight in olive oil, nor does it weigh 300 grams.

This, coupled with what the wiki states: "Street lamps need 0.125kg of tar or olive oil as fuel to fill to max capacity"  means that two olives can fill three street lamps. Take into effect olive trees can be reharvested after a server restart (which almost always happens during an olive season) and the limited second season means one tree can fill three street lamps.

Frankly, I see one olive per tree as completely fair when you take the olive oil output per single olive into consideration.

Sorry I don't think I understand you... what is wrong with 300 grams of olives yielding 180 grams of oil? A completely realistic figure is about 20% I think, so a 50% yield isn't totally out of the realms IMO

What's a bit odd is 300 grams of olive, or olives, from one tree. I would think that many KG would be more realistic, the numbers we were getting previously were quite sensible I thought, and I don't understand why they would need to be nerfed, or what it adds to the game to nerf them.

Lastly, I don't agree with the fallacy that because one thing in the game is unrealistic, it's ok for everything else to be. Wurm is by far and away the most "real feeling" crafting game in a medieval setting I've ever played. Nothing I know of comes anywhere close to wurm's realism while crafting - and that's probably the number one reason I play it. It is worth discussing realism in wurm, even if it has dragons. When we talk about realisim, we really mean the believability of the setting, and our ability to suspend disbelief when we play.

I liked the extra yield, gave me enough for the lamps and some for cooking as well

Edited by skyefox