Sign in to follow this  
Slickshot

Inde Highway Project

Not too long ago I mapped a few-square-kilometers area of land that my Alliance inhabits, and in the process I stumbled upon unfinished highways that were consistent with the community map.  Since then I've been periodically editing portions of the Community Map that are outdated; including highways, deeds, mailboxes and guard tower icons, and continually submit the changes to be included in the Independence Map.

What I propose is more involvement from the community itself.  I know many people do not vouch for the community map, and use the dump instead, however it would still be nice to have a more accurate travel system, especially for new players.

Not only is this about proper mapping, but this is also about proper highway creations and road systems.  In my mapping and editing I've seen many areas where highways twist around through the woods and take travelers a good half kilometer to a kilometer out of their way just to connect them to another highway stretch that is random or unfinished/decayed.  With GM approval of course, we could start fixing up these unnecessary highway segments and finishing existing ones or even creating new ones that could replace the old ones.

This is a simple, yet useful community project for anyone who is interested in helping out.  Mapping and highway restructuring projects are both listed here, however highway reconstruction appears to be more prominent and useful at the moment.

1. Help Wraithglow by documenting your regions as accurately as possible; making note of which highways, mailboxes, guard towers, and merchants are no longer in existence or have been added as new additions.  Copying the community map and making the necessary adjustments in color and uploading the finished image seems to work much better than a text explanation of where things are or are-not anymore.  Also keep in mind that only your own deed will be added to the map if requested, and not the deeds of others.
  2. Along your travels, take note of any highways that are unfinished or unnecessarily routed in odd ways, and proceed to finish them or correct them, or ask people in the area if they'd like to help out. 
  • If you find an extensive, important, or complicated highway that you'd like to work on, please message a GM first for approval.

• Please DO NOT start working on a highway and leave the project unfinished.

• Make sure you speak to your neighbors in the area before you start a building project that could interfere with their plot of land or deed.  I find that most neighbors are alright with some new tidy roads if you just ask nicely!

Thank you for your interest in this project; happy paving!

Edited by Slickshot
  • Like 1

i dont think anyone intended to "not finish" highways they started ;)

Theres a few roads that have been screwed up royaly, the one heading to Black Dog is a total mess now.

There were plans to continue a overland bridge pass Dragon Fang over to Little pest Harbor think its called,..

But that was derailed by a pissed off player who deeded the end and now cant continue that project.

At what point do you get a GM involved to some such problems.?

But true I have seen some major changes in highway work and roads just disappearing completely.

• Like 1

wish I had a highway goin to mainland, on my little island its really survival, depends on w/e spawns  is wat we get unless it swims ofc haha.

I would suggest you NOT take it upon yourself to start working on a highway in an area where you're not resident without first having a word with the folks in the vicinity, just to avoid bad feelings.

• Like 1

I would suggest you NOT take it upon yourself to start working on a highway in an area where you're not resident without first having a word with the folks in the vicinity, just to avoid bad feelings.

and that's how we end up with those ugly shaped highways:P 

ppl will always hold they'r grounds/grab more than they need, even tough they'r deed will be long gone while the highway will still be there helping travelers to get to they'r destination.

and that's how we end up with those ugly shaped highways:P 

ppl will always hold they'r grounds/grab more than they need, even tough they'r deed will be long gone while the highway will still be there helping travelers to get to they'r destination.

That goes both ways - those bits of roads end up left behind long after the destinations are gone, as well, as evidenced by all the bits and pieces left behind that the OP mentioned.  Some of us don't believe we need a road every 12 tiles in the game, especially through easily-traversed land, and there's no reason to piss off the locals just because you want to get back and forth from FM 12 seconds faster.  That's why I suggest that it's a good practice to simply have a chat with the folks in the area, first.  You may find they're happy to have a highway, and want to help.

• Like 3

This. It's also not 'just' about bad feelings, but building a highway somewhere where you don't live without the approval of the deed owners can be judged against the FCC.

Roads: Building / removing / blocking Roads. If someone (for whatever reason) doesnt want a road in a specific spot and they were there first kindly respect that. By the same token if you move into an area with a road, please respect that right of way and dont make massive changes / blockages to it without taking care to provide a good and obvious alternate route. If deeding across an existing road it is polite not to block it or make it hard to navigate. 

If you want permission, talk with the neighbours. If you want to modify a section of highway, do a /support. Remember that it's against the game rules to modify a highway without proper permission, and you can get ordered to restore it to its original condition at the peril of in game character punishments upon complaints without proper permission obtained beforehand.

Regards,

Jberg (GM)

• Like 1

Note that the community map is an opt-in process for deeds, so don't ask for deeds to be added unless you own them:

making note of which highways, deeds, mailboxes, guard towers, and merchants are no longer in existence or have been added as new additions. 

• Like 2

Note that the community map is an opt-in process for deeds, so don't ask for deeds to be added unless you own them:

Keep in mind that this is a suggested project, or "opt-in" as you say, so everything falls perfectly into place.  People who don't want their deed on the map, won't list it, that's their choice completely.

Also in response to what Jberg said, I did state as a sub-point in my original post that people should of course ask for GM approval before altering a highway.  Everything is up to par so far.

Those who want to partake in such projects, I implore you and encourage your efforts.  Of course follow the rules of editing highways, and feel free to post images of your finished work here. :)

Keep up the grass roots effort.

The hardest part about building a decent highway system is getting the support of the people who will be most affected by it, namely deed owners. Finding them online, getting them to consent, and avoiding the need of rerouting highways at every turn... Not an easy task. I honestly think Magranon's Scar is an easier task. As least surface mining doesn't involve herding the fickle cats known as Wurm players.

Edited by Dairuka
  • Like 1

Funny thing about Wurm is the two same groups always collide, the ones that want to pave the planet, and those that think we need a new server every 6 weeks as there is no wild land remaining.

• Like 2

Funny thing about Wurm is the two same groups always collide, the ones that want to pave the planet, and those that think we need a new server every 6 weeks as there is no wild land remaining.

I think I'm closer to the group that desires to pave the planet. I love the idea of progress.

Of course, part of progress can also include creating new, untouched lands by the spade. I also like the idea of creating a man-made mountain with concrete and dirt.

Personally in my past on Wurm I've been lost several times due to twisty-jank roads, and I've known many people with the same experience.  In fact, one of the only reasons newbies find their way to my village is due to the fact that I link them to my self-made map of my alliance area, and because I've taken part in fixing up some of the roads in the area and planting signs to help others find their way.

In my travels and whilst planting signs, I've noticed so many roads that curve around nothing at all, and I assume buildings or deeds used to be set in those "nothing" areas, however now is a good time to fix up those roads and make the paths a bit straighter and more concise.  Just my opinion.  I know I'm going to continue cleaning up the area in my alliance and making the highways easier to follow and use, I just thought I'd invite others to join in and do the same. :)

While I commend your intentions and your efforts, I caution that there needs to be some of both philosophies in Wurm.   Some orderly areas that are perfectly mapped ....some wild and barely mapped areas, with old ruins, and hints of civilizations past,.. that you have to explore in person, if you want to know what is there.  

How do you achieve this? By providing detailed mapping and detailed law and order, only in the immediate areas which you reside.  Let the other areas be wild,...let there be somewhere for other people to discover and map themselves,  maybe even create their own deeds there, which they can in turn create a detailed mapped record of their area. 

We live in an era of GPS and Google Earth....Wurm wasn't meant to be such an era....sometimes not knowing every single square tile in a game, lends itself to mystery and discovery.   By all means, pave your own backyard all you want, but leave some areas wild and waiting for someone else's enjoyment...or just leave them wild as balance to the player created urban areas...

Like I said, I commend you for your intentions, in principle, I just hope people don't go, over the top with it,  and turn Wurm into SimCity ;)

Edited by Thorin

There is an area slightly to the west of me which is riddled with old bits of cobble because of a long dead deed. It`s right on the main route to the west coast so it has confused more than a few travellers who wander into it, even I got lost a few times :)

I`m creating a new L shape link which will tidy up the route and connect into the Mag Scar highway. The work is mostly in my backyard but I`ll do a /support when I log on just to clear it with the GMs

I know many people do not vouch for the community map, and use the dump instead, however it would still be nice to have a more accurate travel system, especially for new players.

So you know Slickshot I have been using the Dump Map as a basis for a coastal survey and am slowly updating the geography of the coastline. 

Currently I have corrected Samlingfjord, the upper Inner Sea and a portion of the north coast.

Along the way I have been doing corrections to the main highways near the water (not all the small minor roads) positions, doing my best to correct for the 35 degrees from vertical the 3d dump map satellite view picture was taken from with regards to the positioning of the east west roads.

Once the coast line is in place, we will have a solid anchor for correcting the displacement in the interior caused by off set viewing angle of the dump map.

Cheers! Hughmongus

• Like 1

and the mapdump is how old ....? means you can never ever make a correct map

only way to make accurate maps is:

a ) a new map dump

b ) tile by tile mapping of the coastal area's (i know nearly impossible)

and if i check the comments from my mayor on your posts (indy map topic), then i know for sure you didn't survey our bunch of deeds, so using a 3-4yrs old mapdump as base for new maps ... kinda useless, sorry

Edited by Kwyzina

The current Independence map dump is only a year and a half old.  Sure, we could use a new one, but 18 months isn't exactly ancient.

There is an area slightly to the west of me which is riddled with old bits of cobble because of a long dead deed. It`s right on the main route to the west coast so it has confused more than a few travellers who wander into it, even I got lost a few times :)

I`m creating a new L shape link which will tidy up the route and connect into the Mag Scar highway. The work is mostly in my backyard but I`ll do a /support when I log on just to clear it with the GMs

Good work Kaldari, by the way if you create a new highway that connects to another highway, I'm fairly certain you don't have to submit a /support and ask for approval, since you aren't destroying or changing the original highway, you are just adding a new one for better travel in your area.  From what I can tell there are many highways in wurm that aren't even mapped, so I know the GM's don't keep track on all of them, but they do keep tabs on important ones and long stretches of highway around important deeds.

Also, if you are getting rid of tiny little roads that extend off of a highway to no particular place (not leading to deeds or someone's house) and it seems like it's been there unused for ages, you can destroy them if you want to without having to submit a ticket for that.

While I commend your intentions and your efforts, I caution that there needs to be some of both philosophies in Wurm.   Some orderly areas that are perfectly mapped ....some wild and barely mapped areas, with old ruins, and hints of civilizations past,.. that you have to explore in person, if you want to know what is there.  

How do you achieve this? By providing detailed mapping and detailed law and order, only in the immediate areas which you reside.  Let the other areas be wild,...let there be somewhere for other people to discover and map themselves,  maybe even create their own deeds there, which they can in turn create a detailed mapped record of their area. 

We live in an era of GPS and Google Earth....Wurm wasn't meant to be such an era....sometimes not knowing every single square tile in a game, lends itself to mystery and discovery.   By all means, pave your own backyard all you want, but leave some areas wild and waiting for someone else's enjoyment...or just leave them wild as balance to the player created urban areas...

Like I said, I commend you for your intentions, in principle, I just hope people don't go, over the top with it,  and turn Wurm into SimCity ;)

Of course there will still be "wilderness" areas for people to explore and settle in.  If someone builds in one of these areas and wants a road, they are more than welcome to build a road leading to it, however I see no reason for anyone to go out of their way to build a road through a plot of wilderness without a good reason.  Keep in mind also, that when redirecting a highway to a smoother and quicker route, the old stretches of highway would of course need to be removed as well, which in-turn would re-create wilderness and building areas where the old highways once laid.

Edited by Slickshot
  • Like 1

Of course there will still be "wilderness" areas for people to explore and settle in.  If someone builds in one of these areas and wants a road, they are more than welcome to build a road leading to it, however I see no reason for anyone to go out of their way to build a road through a plot of wilderness without a good reason.  Keep in mind also, that when redirecting a highway to a smoother and quicker route, the old stretches of highway would of course need to be removed as well, which in-turn would re-create wilderness and building areas where the old highways once laid.

Good Reasoning on the reclamation of the "old highways" !

Like I said, I support your idea in principle.     +1  :)

Edited by Thorin

Of all the stupid community projects I've had ideas for, this one is the most simple yet useful of them all.  Not to mention people are already altering roads and highways, and this just serves as a reminder to those who get bored or want to be part of a project. :)

Keep up the grass roots effort.

The hardest part about building a decent highway system is getting the support of the people who will be most affected by it, namely deed owners. Finding them online, getting them to consent, and avoiding the need of rerouting highways at every turn... Not an easy task. I honestly think Magranon's Scar is an easier task. As least surface mining doesn't involve herding the fickle cats known as Wurm players.

you may be right about that in sense of that near gurubear not many people live ON the mountain, but nontheless we had to reroute a few times because of deeds and persistent owners of houses ;) and in a way we have always little problems with players...someone is locking up bsbs on the working side (i wished we had an option to view the name of the one who locked a bsb....or to attach locks without detaching when unlocking..-.-)

1 person even threatened us that he would build a house on the flat surface mined area :o luckily he fell over the cliff XD

and then as often as possible someone needs to be around to check for people that may settle around the not finished highway..... i dont mind if they do, but most people maybe dont see how big it will be and that can cause problems since we cant simply reroute at some places :o

also...since there are less deeds affected we have also very few helpers ^^""" even though i know for sure once its finished alot more people will come to it

Edited by Miretta